• Page:

TOPIC: History G3 Owners Association and St Michael's

History G3 Owners Association and St Michael's 10 years 9 months ago #78994

• morris
  • morris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Many of you may not know this part of the history of our association. There are some old timers like myself still around. Article 3 under "purpose" Has not happened for a few years now. We are now a world wide association this means we should network near our homes with other boaters, and World wide here on Fiberglassics.com. Flordia Glasspar club did an excellent job in 2009 hosting a worldwide g-3 event. I, myself have traveled 1500 miles to catch some water with other g3 owners. This information came from a document archived here on Fiberglassics.

Al

The G-3 Name: How was the G-3 named "G-3?" Per Bill Tritt (the founder of Glasspar), at the time (1959) the U.S. Military had a missle called the G-3. Glasspar picked up the name from the missle
How many G-3's were made: This is extrapoliated from info Bill Tritt gave us. Glasspar made a total of 16,000 boats in 1960 (this is a known number). We assumed 8 models evenly divided (remember the G-3 was not made in 1964). We assumed slowing production of 5% per year thru 1968. Values are: 3,500 Center Deck models and 8,700 Open Decks. There is a margin of error here of up to 30% or so. Our numbers are likely somewhat high.
When fiberglass was new: Glasspar had to give dealers incentives in the early 1950's as fiberglass boats were very new and considered "plastic" boats. Dealers were concerned that since they were plastic, they would break!

Yes, these classic boats have an interest group. It is the first of its kind for a fiberglass model. To date there are about 300 owners and enthusiasts. Congratulations on being one of us and on your interest in a truly Classic Boat: The Glasspar G-3 Skiboat .

The Association is a group who appreciate the classic and ageless styling of a boat designed in the late 1950's. Today, admirers still recognize its styling as unique. We formed in 1990 and have consistently grown. In late 1996, the G-3 Owners Association applied for recognition as a "Marque" group within the Antique and Classic Boat Society.

PURPOSE:
1. Promote the original preservation and restoration of the Glasspar G-3 boat as part of boating history.
2. Exchange information. Some owners know everything. Others only discovered their boat is a classic.
3. A G-3 Owners Rally is held each year in mid-June (generally Fathers' Day weekend) in conjunction with the Antique and Classic Boat Society's St. Michael's' Maryland boat show. The G-3's are part of the show. Snail mail notices are sent out to those within 400 miles driving distance. Notices will appear on this page also.

There are no dues or routinely published news letters. But info is updated on this G-3 Internet Homepage. You don't have to actually own a G-3 to be listed. I (Karl Beisel) first owned a G-3 in 1964 (a jet-black 1963 model) with my brother Chris and I do know quite a bit of the boat's history. But I have limitations and do not claim to know it all. Some of you may be able to add to or correct the written history.

We together are still writing the history of this neat fun little boat,
Al aka morris_wil
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:History G3 Owners Association and St Michael's 10 years 9 months ago #79023

Great post and history on the Glasspar G-3 Boats Al! Thanks for posting the info up here.

To add to what you said, let me be the first to extend an open invitation to any and all G-3 Owners or any boat owner to join our "East Coast Glasspar Owners Association" for our first event of the year at Falls Lake, N.C. right near Raleigh on Saturday July 20th, 2013 starting a 9:00 A.M.

I will post a thread on our first event Al with more info on the area etc.

Re:History G3 Owners Association and St Michael's 10 years 9 months ago #79029

• morris
  • morris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks John,

If besides here, you can post in the regional fourm for FGSE it would be appreciated.
Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:History G3 Owners Association and St Michael's 10 years 8 months ago #80409

.... A G-3 Owners Rally is held each year in mid-June (generally Fathers' Day weekend) in conjunction with the Antique and Classic Boat Society's St. Michael's' Maryland boat show. The G-3's are part of the show. Snail mail notices are sent out to those within 400 miles driving distance. Notices will appear on this page also....

Re:History G3 Owners Association and St Michael's 10 years 8 months ago #80411

Yup, I was told that about six - seven years ago when I joined the Chesapeake Bay Chapter of the ACBS.

Re:History G3 Owners Association and St Michael's 10 years 8 months ago #80415

Since then, I have been trying to get a ride in a G-3 at the show, but, as they say in a carnival, I came close but no cigar, son.

Well, when I said to my ACBS members that true ACBS Judging written by wood boat owners may not work...they said right back to me, "We Judges never have judged G-3s, they do their own thing and that is still the best way to go".

So, seabuddy, do the best you can, judge it the best you can, and get it going again. We LIKE them G-3 guys.

You could of knocked me over with a feather right then. I had thought these guys did not understand Classic Fiberglass. But they do. You folks taught them years ago. They still remember you!

Then, I met Skip at our Festival and spent some time talking with him and his friends. So, as calm as could be, Skip says to me, you know I have a picture somewhere of 14 G-3s, beached here at St. Michaels from a past show.

All I got to say is WOW!

Come on back! The Cheaspeake Bay Chapter of the ACBS misses you. We like you. Come share your fun with us. Many of the fellas are still around. We might do more talking now than riding, but we will buy.

And, seabuddy wants a ride.

Re:History G3 Owners Association and St Michael's 10 years 8 months ago #80427

Hey, Saturday is coming!

Re:History G3 Owners Association and St Michael's 10 years 8 months ago #80443

morris , thanks for starting this post, #seabuddy

Re:History G3 Owners Association and St Michael's 10 years 8 months ago #80468

Very helpful

Re:History G3 Owners Association and St Michael's 10 years 8 months ago #80549

We get some boats wet today. Great weather. See you all there! #seabuddy chris brown

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)