Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: G3 Identification

Re:G3 Identification 10 years 2 months ago #89550

Here's an update. Finally got Awlgrip topcoat applied, I'm satisfied except for 1 sag in splash well that I will redo. Also removed anodizing from trim with Draino, boy are my fingers sore. I think Drano would be a good tip for safecrackers. I'm experimenting with the polishing today. After a few tries and a few Internet looks I feel confident for tomorrow. I can see many hours of sanding and polishing ahead but I am sure it will be worth it.
Other news, a fellow nearby has offered me a '60 G3 with new stringers, floor and transom for free with a lite charge for the trailer. Also has titles for both. I'm off to pick it up this weekend, blessed to have lots of room to pile these things up.
Thanks Doc, but it is a little to far. Maybe in the summer if I go to Lake Chelan to visit my sister.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:G3 Identification 10 years 2 months ago #89720

BRAVO!

I spent a lot of hours in front of my buffing wheel, went through a couple wheels... but it sure is satisfying work, to see the new life in the aluminum when a part is finished. One thing to note!... the wheel will grab (i guarantee it) pieces out of your grip and zing them across the room! After doing this a few times and having to go find them... i put up a piece of OSB behind my (grinder with a) buffing wheel to stop them from flying away, and potentially dinging them when they hit the floor.

Are you going to try the Penetrol? a quart is less than $10 at your local hardware/paint store. As I mentioned in an earlier post here, I am really happy with the results... but I am sure there are other tricks to keep the aluminum finish bright.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:G3 Identification 10 years 1 month ago #90276

Dean and other polishers
I've been working away on all the trim but some pieces have small pits and scratches. Any ideas on their removal, or is something I have to live with?
Jim

Re:G3 Identification 10 years 1 month ago #90277

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
hello Jim. some of the guys have sanded them out but it is a longer process using I believe 4000 grit and some have had them blasted. JohnP was able to have his blasted but he would be best to tell you how they came out.
al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:G3 Identification 10 years 1 month ago #90284

morris wrote:

hello Jim. some of the guys have sanded them out but it is a longer process using I believe 4000 grit and some have had them blasted. JohnP was able to have his blasted but he would be best to tell you how they came out.
al

Jim:

As Al said, we tried polishing ALL of the hardware on our one-family owned 1960 G-3. While almost all of it came out excellent, the aluminum trim that runs along the edge of the sponsons did not.

I worried about HOW I was going to get that aluminum sponson trim to come out looking good again. Ours also had the "scratches and pits" you describe in some of your pieces.

I was initially told by a so-called "Glasspar Expert" that you could not plate or powdercoat these aluminum pieces on our G-3's
which was DEAD WRONG! Through a friend of mine who does ALOT of
metal refinishing and fabrication, I met a guy here locally who does alot of aluminum powdercoating. He looked at my sponson trim pieces and told me we could sand them down and then powdercoat them.

Jim, we started with 400 and went finer as the scratches and pits began to disappear. We finished with 1000 grit and then my powdercoater used several different bead blaster machines starting with rougher beads and working to finer as he went along. I am happy to report that the aluminum sponson trim came out GREAT! Those trim pieces have now been on the G-3 for over three (3) years with no problems whatsoever.

If you are interested in this please let me know and I can give you the name of my powdercoater near Wilmington, N.C.

Unfortunately, I don't have a "BEFORE" photo of the poor condition of the aluminum sponson trim, but here is a picture AFTER it was done:
Attachments:

Re:G3 Identification 10 years 1 month ago #90352

I took mine down to a reasonable amount... there are some "personality" nicks that remain. Heck, the boat is 55 years old. :)

Really its just my sponson rub rails that had some deep ones that I couldn't sand all the way out. But it looks great even with its personality. If you are going to use your boat, you are going to rub these in the future.

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:G3 Identification 10 years 1 month ago #90371

Good morning, thanks for the support regarding trim polishing. It's going good, just have to "Endeavor to Persevere". I've sander all pieces with DA or flap wheels to 600 then buffed with black and white compound to a good finish. Going to finish off with a green compound and Penetrol. As Dean said the remaining marks will add character.
Thanks again, Jim
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6967 guests and one member online