Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB??

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142192

OMC Experts,

This afternoon, I found a restored & refinished Johnson V-4, 60-horse, outboard from 1968., about which I know LITTLE except it's the right size, LOOKS NICE, seems to run fine & is a suitable vintage for a boat that I've bought. Plus it has a GOOD Texas title & it is available at an excellent price, too.

I'm very unfamiliar with the V-4 OMC OBs of the late 1960s. - Are they generally reliable & LONG-LIVED, as the BIG TWINS are?

yours, tex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142193

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I don't think they made a 60hp in 1968. Probably a 65hp. A solid torque motor if it's restored/rebuilt. The earlier models had issues with the first generation CD ignition and was prone to failure at the most inappropriate times. Second generation electronic ignitions are improved so I think you're in good shape.
There were eight different models for that year. Look at the model number tag on the transom mount bracket and then you can google it and get more info.
Hope it works out good for you. Sounds like you got what you want.

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142194

Hey Tex, yeah what Cal said. Also get the number off as Cal said then go to marineengine.com and it will give you diagrams of all the parts as well as tell you what year and hp.

Bob

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142196

63Sabre; Waterwings,

THANKS GENTS.

yours, tex

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142197

I have an early model V-4 80 HP apart on my bench right now. 1962 with auto style ignition. single coil and distributor...lol
Engine has all roller brgs. in crankshaft. I was able to find over sized pistons and rings easily enough ONCE I bought a parts list book.
Your 60 Hp should be a good engine. find a parts book though...because all dealers parts fiche only go back to 1968.

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142198

63 Sabre; Waterwings,

The old JOHNSON is NOT a 1968 model, though the Texas title says that it is a '68.
(The TPWD records sometimes seem to have MORE ERRORS than FACTS. = I have a "fishing friend" here in town who has a boat made by THREE RIVERS, INC. that is titled 10 years AFTER the company went bankrupt. - Evidently "back in the day" the TPWD just wrote down as fact, whatever the owner said that their property was, when they started titling boats/motors.)

The Model number off the data plate is: VX-13 & the serial number is: 2835464.

Therefore, according to a table of OMC info that I found online, it IS a Johnson 60-horse OB but made in 1967.

yours, tex

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142199

Brent,

THANKS. = The old JOHHNY is a VX-13 & made in 1967.

yours, tex

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142200

Brent,

THANKS. = The old JOHNSON V-4 is a VX-13 & built in 1967.

yours, tex

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142202

My 80 horse is a DU-10S. I can hardly believe that that small engine makes anything like 80 HP. i am holding my breath to see how it moves the 16 foot Crestliner along. Hopefully I have all the parts rounded up and it can hit the water this summer!

b

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142205

Brent,

THANKS for the advice. - Found an original VX-13 factory parts book & a factory service manual on ebay.com for a little over 20 bucks & ordered both.

yours, tex

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142208

Would you mind looking up the torque spec. for the connecting rod cap bolts? and I suppose the main bearing cap bolts. Please??
I don't have that info. available.

Thanks, B

1968 JOHNSON 60 HP OB?? 3 years 11 months ago #142209

Brent,

I expect to RECEIVE the two books about 01MAY29. - Once I have them, I'll be pleased to help you.

NOTE: The boat that I plan to put the VX-13 on is a 16 foot X 79" beam open fisherman. = The bare hull weighs, according to STARCRAFT weighs about 575 pounds, so I would think that 60 HP should be fine for powering it for fishing the salt.

yours, tex

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6545 guests and 2 members online