Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pics on water

Pics on water 6 years 8 months ago #132665

testing some linking from Imgur...nothing to see here....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pics on water 6 years 8 months ago #132688

First day out by myself

Attachments:

1960 14' Speed Queen
1972 10' Tri-Cat 3
[Building] 10' Glen-L Squirt

Pics on water 6 years 8 months ago #132707

A day out on the Delaware River in Phila
Attachments:

Pics on water 6 years 8 months ago #132733

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Boat is only 27 and motor only 30 years old, but it is my only current water pictures. When I bought it 20 years ago. The PO left outside uncovered. After only 7 years it had cloudy gel coat that got buffed out. Had rotten wood for most seats, so I built complete new structures and had local upholstery shop make all seats new. I moved back seat forward and built a storage for 2 knee boards and one wake board with a sun pad... used hatch back shocks and home made brackets. Re carpeted. Cut and repaired soft spot in floor about 2' long under back seat. Custom made 37 pound solid aluminum ski tow that has seen (5) 200 pound barefooters and (12) 16 year old knee boarders. Storage also holds (2) pairs of trick skis, (2) pairs of shoe skis, (1) pair of skis in floor locker, (1) slalom ski, and (1) slalom flip turn barefoot ski. Also keep 14 life jackets in varied sizes for skiers, 7 ski ropes, 2 anchors, landing net and minnow net and fish bag all stay on board. It goes faster when empty, but goes nicely. It is shown with my 30 pitch chopper, but I mostly run my Land and Sea 14-32 pitch variable shifting prop which is perfect for this boat and the way I use it. Used to drive it 6-7 hours a day. Speed and bare footing in morning...ski all day...speed on calm supper water, and fish after supper. Love the boat. The "launch" is on it's way down as can be seen by my daughters hair going up and her hand pulled off the throttle. It does about a 60 degree launch from a stand still with no wave jumping. A 200hp can lift a 1,200 pound 20 footer when it starts at 14 pitch. Time to get my 65 Powercat out and eventually restore my '58 Wilson.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1708

Dr.Go!

Pics on water 6 years 8 months ago #132735

SWEET!!!!
Extremely SWEET!!!
My kind of boating indeed!!!
doc
Attachments:

Pics on water 6 years 8 months ago #132740

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
With just one person and putting anchors in back, I can hit about 60 plus degrees and hop the transom off the water from a standstill. Fun!!! Love that shifting prop!!

Dr.Go!

Pics on water 6 years 8 months ago #132743

Outstanding photos and description! Never heard of a "shifting prop", sounds interesting. Are they still available?

Pete

Pics on water 6 years 8 months ago #132747

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Original builder stopped making them after a supplier fire. Someone picked up all the parts they could get and now makes replacement wearable parts. Likely you could find that on a google search. They started at about 900 and went up over 1,100. Though that price was high, it was saving me around $300 a year on less gas consumption from 900 down to 600 so long since paid for itself. They were made to fit V-6 outboards and I/Os to help these rigs get on plane faster. They were offered in 11-26 variable usually for stern drives and heavier outboard rigs. They also offered the 14-32 for the faster and lighter rigs. Set screws can limit my 32 all the way back to 26 pitch. This prop is not designed to be surface run due to vibration and likely damaging. It has cams, pins, and 3 weights of return springs that can all break if abused. I may try to see if I can get a machine shop to turn down the back side of the hub to try and fit my smaller gear hub of my 1965 100 merc. The splines fit, but it hits the motor housing...which leaves a too few threads on the nut when I considered a thrust washer spacer. Needless to say the average boater cannot believe their eyes when I smack the throttle, launch the boat and can out accelerate some 165hp supercharged personal watercraft that hit about 65mph. I am sure some new PWC will outrun me but it is a 20' family open bow...and I had 5 adults in the boat. I will try to post a picture of the prop. Merc and I believe Aeromarine made 2 speed shifting props, but the pitch change was less distance apart and had a hard shift rather than variable. It takes some seat time to tune for your rig, but Wow when it is tuned for you. I used to swap from ski prop to speed prop several times a day... sometimes a friendly race comes up between ski rides. Saves motor rpms during a general day of boating. Pictures later.

Dr.Go!

Pics on water 6 years 8 months ago #132828

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Not a Glassic, but thankful to spend a great day fishing with my 82 year old Mom! And of course she caught the first fish! fresh perch and crappie for supper! Mom is healthy and still loves boating so life is good!
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

Pics on water 6 years 8 months ago #132833

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Sounds like a great time. Been a few years since I've had fresh perch and crappies. The invasive gobie has taken over in the lower Green Bay along with giant sheephead. Comorants have decimated the perch hatch because tree huggers stopped the DNR from destroying the bird's eggs about 15 years ago. Commercial fishermen have gone belly up because of that act. Walleye are good though along with some small mouth.

Pics on water 6 years 7 months ago #133090

Another fun day on the river. Plus stopped to do a some fishing and have a beer.

Pics on water 6 years 7 months ago #133109

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Spotted this tin Crestliner rear cockpit with Johnson power as I was changing spar plugs on the fishing motor. Had awesome wood seat interior. Saw it run both Saturday and Saturday. Kudos to the couple enjoying a cruise in the sun in their classic!
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

Pics on water 6 years 7 months ago #133257

Got a little lake time in Sunday

Pics on water 6 years 7 months ago #133268

ultraclyde wrote:

Got a little lake time in Sunday

NAPPIN ON THE LAKE...with a slight rockin of the boat...LUVIT
Attachments:

Pics on water 6 years 7 months ago #133347

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
No "wheelie stands" in our harbor, but lots of napping. :)
Attachments:

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Pics on water 6 years 7 months ago #133354

That's one sweet little Dorsett!!
Please post a few more close-up pictures on your Dorsett Belmont windshield link.
doc

Pics on water 6 years 7 months ago #133450

Although I've not made it out this year yet. I just had to replace the bearings on my Tee Nee. I was in no shape to deal with maintenance last year and unknown to me the seals leaked water. That is the first time ever I had to replace them due to lack of maintenance and that was because of health issues. I do miss the water. I do love the Tee Nee.
Attachments:

Pics on water 6 years 6 months ago #133820

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Boating today... 59 degrees, cloudy, smooth water, and fresh powerhead to break-in with extra oil. Nice day to try my new reverse gear as well. All went well and heading back out tomorrow!

Dr.Go!

Pics on water 6 years 6 months ago #133827

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice! That rig would look terrific at any show. Good to see you guys back on the water and enjoying yourselves.
Doncha just love that color?

Pics on water 6 years 6 months ago #133829

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It was fun. That color does take me "back in the Day" when I was a kid when Dad had the same boat with twin 65 Mercs. I will bring this boat to the Sturgeon bay show next year after a little more spit shining.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug Reeve

Dr.Go!

Pics on water 6 years 6 months ago #133836

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That would take peoples choice award if Bill A. stays home :-)

Pics on water 6 years 6 months ago #133838

Excellent but you really gotta stop having me stand on my head to look at the pics!

Bob

Pics on water 6 years 6 months ago #133841

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sorry again. I need a tech advisor to teach me how to make my I phone pictures come out right side up. Here are a couple more crazy pictures.

Dr.Go!

Pics on water 6 years 6 months ago #134002

not from a glassic but taken labor day night,

goodbye summer :(

Untitled by Bryce Collier , on Flickr

Pics on water 6 years 5 months ago #134394

About sunrise on Fish lake in Minnesota
Attachments:

Pics on water 6 years 5 months ago #134444

Here are a few from last weekend.
Attachments:

Pics on water 6 years 4 months ago #134625

Last evening, on her shakedown cruise. Coming back from dinner at the Salmon House. Looking back at Mountlake cut.

Seattle
Attachments:

Pics on water 6 years 4 months ago #134649

Dr.Go!:

I am a new member of the Forum and just pulled out of storage a 65 Mariner with a 90 horse 6-cylinder Mercury that looks almost identical to your Mercury 1000. I am looking for a shop to get my Mercury running again and can't find anyone. All the places I talk to say it's not worth it or buy something newer. I'm a nostalgia/50-60's buff and want to bring the motor back. Where did you get your motor done or did you do it yourself? Do you know of anyone within driving distance of Sioux Falls, SD who would be willing and able to do the work.

Thanks very much.
lkinstad (newby)

Pics on water 6 years 4 months ago #134650

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Good Morning lkinstad!

Your probably going to do best Reading up on your engine and reading the fourums to learn how to maintain it and bring it back to life as like you anyone I talked to about fixing an old engine just wanted to sell me a new engine.. There is alot of knowlede on this fourum and great people. Dive in and enjoy!

Jesse

Pics on water 6 years 4 months ago #134651

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well, my mechanic normally practices the same thing and stays away from older stuff because he is so busy with modern stuff. However, since he is my older brother and seems to always get stuck helping me, he said if I could be super patient and let him work on it on down time (that really means after 12-14 hour days or a Sunday when he is waiting for parts for others so I don’t hold up his customers. I still pay him the same as I don’t expect him to lose business on my account. I think if you post this question on the Mercury outpost, you may find a few members that can do it. Some may be too far to drive (that is up to you). One of the members is close to the highway system in southeastern Mn that can fix older 6 cylinder Mercurys. Not sure I remember his name on here. There is Doc Frankenmerc and I see an ed-mc2 that are merc experts on old stuff, but are out in Washington out west. May be others I am not aware of. My repair was not inexpensive. If taken completely apart I believe their are almost close to 1000 needle bearings. In reality, if it weren’t for mine being a 50 year old, one owner survivor that was short shaft, it would have been easier and cheaper to find an ‘80’s merc 90 or 115 with trim and tilt (they are long shaft motors) and maybe could have either put the 1965 cowling on, or just bought an old stripe package to make it look old. Could have been a third the price and then you likely have more donor motors and modern parts available. Had to replace some wiring as the insulation was falling off, so look for that. The Mercury outpost readers can help you way more than I can. I am NO mechanic, nor expert...just my thoughts to try and help. Good luck whichever way you choose to go. The more I learn here, the more adventurous I get repairing stuff on my own. I did buy the old manual and it is a great help. For me, when we found 20psi on one cylinder, I knew I was not yet ready to go that far. I likely would have if I had no other choice. I have received so much help on this site... they all get credit for helping me enjoy this vintage sport and keep me out on the water. Great people and tons of knowledge and experience!

Dr.Go!

Pics on water 6 years 4 months ago #134655

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You can also talk to Darrel at classicmercuryoutboards.com in Hayward, Wisconsin. He restores these old in-line 6 mercs and maybe would be willing to work on yours if that is not too far for you. I am trying to learn more and get more brave with each project. Part of the reward is overcoming a challenge you never faced. I may try rebuilding a snowmobile motor that would not matter if I messed something up just to learn on something with less value and no collector value.

Dr.Go!

Pics on water 6 years 4 months ago #134661

If you are close to Central Arkansas, I know a mechanic that works on old engines only. He has helped me out several times.

Pics on water 6 years 4 months ago #134693

Thanks so much for the advise. The Mercury guy in Hayward, WI looks like a great solution and it's not so far that I can't drive it in a day. Have a call in to him now.

Thanks again,
lkinstad

Pics on water 6 years 4 months ago #134703

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
here is a pic from quincy cruise,waiting on locks,bill
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: VinTin

Pics on water 5 years 6 months ago #137572

1978 Aristocraft Nineteen - Lake Maumelle, Arkansas August 2018
Attachments:

Pics on water 5 years 5 months ago #137830

Testing after a long re storation.
Attachments:

Pics on water 5 years 4 months ago #137947

1st day on the water since 1993
Attachments:

Pics on water 4 years 5 months ago #141034

Ford City Veterans Bridge on the Allegheny.
Attachments:

Pics on water 4 years 5 months ago #141035

Attachments:

Pics on water 2 years 7 months ago #145095

На выходных
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.412 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)