Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 11 months ago #146563

Larsspar wrote: Looks fantastic!!

Paint or powder coat?

What did you do to prep it for finish?

Thanks!
I stripped the trailer down last week to the bare frame, tossed the bunks, chains, ALL fasteners, and all rollers. I then had a local sandblasting company blast everything left. So, fenders, brackets, frame, etc, all got blasted.
Then, the fenders, brackets, and winch post were all sanded down by hand to get 'em nice and smooth. Everything was then finished in automotive paint and clear coat with a spray gun in a makeshift paint booth.
Duplicolor Performance Red and Championship White with Duplicolor Clear on top.
Three coats of white on the frame with three coats of clear.
Three coats of red on all the brackets and winch post with three coats of clear.
Four coats of red on the fenders, wet sanded between each coat, with three coats of clear - again, wet sanded between each coat.

All new fasteners, chains, lights, winch, wiring, wheels/tires, rollers, and bunks. Bunks are homemade with pressure-treated 2x4s covered in the same carpet we're using in the cockpit so it matches (soft enough not to wear down the hull coating). Just need to source or have made the Sea King fender decals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Larsspar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 11 months ago #146575

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Very nice. Looks amazing!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 603photog

Dr.Go!

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 10 months ago #146584

Continuing with the outboard restoration....

When I was filming the outboard running for the first time in nearly 20 years (earlier post, above), what you don't really see on the video is that I'm having to keep squeezing the primer bulb in the fuel line in order to keep fuel pressurized to the carb so the engine would stay running. Finally had time to address that problem - see below.

And, once that was done, we started on the visual restoration. Still desperately trying to find a tilt handle. May end up 3D printing one, if necessary.

Attachments:

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 10 months ago #146598

Welp...another weekend, another bit of progress! Carpet is installed, seats are mounted. I still can't believe we're making this happen....

A reminder of how we found her....

And, where we're at today (windshield is just staged for visual reference)....

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 9 months ago #146748

Hiya, folks! Welp...while I recognize a boat project is never truly "done", we're at the stage now where I can say we're at least 98% of the way there. When I look back on the first post of this thread and remember where my head was at with this project and compare to where we are today, I still can't believe we've come this far!

The only things I really have left to do are get the registration decals on the hull (already registered), put a second coat of wax on the topside, and replace the throttle towershaft in the motor which I unfortunately broke yesterday. Once the motor is back up and running, we'll be in the water so, come next Saturday, I should have pictures to post from her first "sea trials" on the lake.

Really appreciate all the advice and tips I've learned from this group along the way. You guys are great with your willingness to share your knowledge and (mostly) reserve judgment. It's appreciated!

Attachments:

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 9 months ago #146750

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Very nice results! I have watched since the beginning… lots to be proud of there. I also really am liking how you used the 2 different colors on the trailer to accent that to match the boat 2 tone. If I ever get around to doing my other little boat trailer, I just might consider stealing that idea if you don’t mind. Now you have to add extra time at the boat launch and anywhere you dock it as you likely will have many questions and admirers… well deserved. Enjoy! The reward is ever so close now.

Dr.Go!

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 9 months ago #146752

Dr.Go! wrote: Very nice results! I have watched since the beginning… lots to be proud of there. I also really am liking how you used the 2 different colors on the trailer to accent that to match the boat 2 tone. If I ever get around to doing my other little boat trailer, I just might consider stealing that idea if you don’t mind. Now you have to add extra time at the boat launch and anywhere you dock it as you likely will have many questions and admirers… well deserved. Enjoy! The reward is ever so close now.

Thanks for the compliments! To be fair, I actually modeled the trailer colors off one of the more well-known Sea King advertisement images (below) and also one of the more widely-shared Sea King examples on the internet (also below). I wish these boats - and particularly their motors - were better taken care of by more people over the years. But, alas, we are a throwaway society in every aspect and too few people appreciate the simple joys of times gone by. Not a lot of fiberglassic fans up in my neck of the woods. Old New England money tends to get put towards the wooden classics (with good reason!) so there's just not many of these in this kind of renewed condition around my neck of the woods. Oh, well.

Attachments:

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 9 months ago #146756

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice add and additional pictures. The bright side is you have a rare gem in your area and likely won't find dozens like it when you dock, boat, or show. And another bright side is you don't need a massive tow vehicle since you are not even close to the weight of even a small woody... though I love them all. Cheers!

Dr.Go!

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 9 months ago #146758

I didn't think it was going to happen so early in the week this week but my throttle towershaft came in the mail today, I got it installed right away and, for the first time in many, many, MANY years...this boat got wet in all the right places! The original (but rebuilt by me) 35 HP Sea King outboard purred like a kitten, the boat trimmed up nicely, and the entire experience left us grinning like little kids at Christmas. Need to fine-tune the motor a bit and adjust the shift linkage but there were no leaks, no structural concerns, and she planed up nicely. So fun!

Attachments:

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 9 months ago #146760

Hello 603photog,

Congratulations! Nice work and a fast turnaround from the weeds to finished for now.

That little Sea King would have been my dream boat when I was about 7 years old.

The ad says it all with the two tone 59 Ford wagon. That rear facing back seat was the place to ride and you know those kids are up for some fun.

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 9 months ago #146763

Outstanding, she looks awesome. Enjoy the fruits, of your labor!!!

Bob

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 7 months ago #147047

Attachments:

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 4 months ago #147354

Hi, folks! It's been a while since I've posted here but I've been checking in and reading threads from time to time. Hope everyone had a great summer full of boating! We've been keeping busy this summer and, other than enjoying the heck out of the Sea King, we really haven't done much in the way of projects to speak of. But, now that things are slowing down, I thought I'd at least share a couple of small projects that I did that may help provide some ideas to others on their restorations, restomods, or builds. Enjoy!

First project was finally getting around to 3D printing a new tilt handle insert for the outboard's hood.

Second project was installing remote battery posts to make charging the battery SO much easier.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fatlenny

Monkey Ward Sea King Project and Questions 1 year 3 months ago #147499

That was one AMAZING find with the 6-gallon gas tank! Pristine condition for sure. Well done!! Love your work on this project.
I sort of joined your ranks in the form of coming across a pristine 1959 Sea King 35hp along with a pristine gas tank to go with it.
Even came with original owners manual and key float with the dealer name and Sea King on it. One of a pair that came off os a Chris-Craft in Ohio. A friend of mine went from Alabama to Ohio and picked up both engines. His will be going on a restored Orlando Clipper and ours will be going on Lesa's 1959 Lyman.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)