Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: A place for real boats with real motors

A place for real boats with real motors 13 years 2 months ago #25322

Without sounding negative, it is about time this subject matter was made welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:A place for real boats with real motors 13 years 1 month ago #27988

I just found this thread and second your comment. Previously I have felt like the "odd man out" since two of my three boats are In/Outs.

Re:A place for real boats with real motors 12 years 10 months ago #34348

I just bought my first fiberglassic and need some help. I have a 1960 Bellboy with a Volvo Penta I/O, its a aq80 i think or a Marine B6 motor. Anyways I have had it running but the carbs are constantly having issues, cleaned them several times but really I need a kit or new carbs or a conver kit. Plus the motor is week, it sounds good, its runs well all tuned up but it only pushes about 9mph on a good day.

You guys know a good place for parts or have any help or guidance, to get my real boat with a real motor running better! Thanks.

Justin

Re:A place for real boats with real motors 12 years 9 months ago #35417

does your eng still have points ignition in the distributor if so check the dwell i have had similar problems it probably runs perfect with no load and has no power as soon as its in gear if you can find one invest in an electronic ignition far superior to points and very inexpensive and easy to install

Re:A place for real boats with real motors 12 years 9 months ago #36557

I had a Pertronix unit installed in my Volvo/Penta. The marine mechanic tried to discourage me, but I insisted. It runs great with the electronic ignition.

Re:A place for real boats with real motors 12 years 9 months ago #36753

i am a mechanic and it is definately worth it far less maintainance and sure starting

Re:A place for real boats with real motors 12 years 8 months ago #41984

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I collect older cars. Converting to electronic ignition is well worth the effort. Sorry, but I know nothing of Volvos, but if the same motor exists in a car, you can simply install the newer electronic ignition parts from a car onto the boat motor. I did that with my 1970 Cadillac 472. In 70, Cad had a point ignition, but in 72 they went to electronic HEI. It was easy to just grab all the parts of a car in the junk yard and transfer to my car.

With our Mercruiser, it is far cheaper to buy, for example, a Rochester 2G carb kit for a 1967 Jeepster, than to buy the 1981 Mercruiser kit for a boat. Same identical carburetor. WAY different price.

Definitely try to discover what parts from cars will fit on your boat motor. It can save you some serious coin!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7612 guests and one member online