Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do I give up before I start?

Do I give up before I start? 3 years 6 months ago #143348

Long time creeper - first post. Been looking for a Fiberglass boat to match our 1979 truck/camper combo. Yesterday I got talking to a friends neighbor who has had one outside for years. Long story short I buy the package for $100. Fiberform 14’ (Appears early 70s), decent trailer and an Evinrude 55. I know nothing about boats but have restored cars and bikes. Boat floor is wet but solid. The motor turns on Hotwire but missing some parts. I worry though now about the hull... the stern has a crack/break in the fiberglass and has been leaking water out. I had hoped to make some repairs (motor and fiberglass) and learn as I go but now I’m thinking I should maybe move on to another boat. Thoughts or opinions from you who have experience? Thank you.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Do I give up before I start? 3 years 5 months ago #143351

The question of repairing this boat has two parts. One, can it be fixed, and yes, the hull can be repaired by someone with extensive fiberglass experience and a large wallet. Should it be fixed? Probably not. You would probably be better off finding a boat with a solid hull but needing cosmetic work. That is a serious break in that hull!
Motors and boat trailers restore a lot like cars and motorcycles. You should be comfortable working on them. Cosmetic and minor fiberglass repair shouldn't be a challenge either.
Take a look at the Glassifieds on this site, and keep an eye on "vintage boats" in your local Craig's list.
If you find something you like usually someone on here can usually give you more information on the boat.

Don

Do I give up before I start? 3 years 5 months ago #143352

I agree, don't waste your time unless it has sentimental value to you.

Do I give up before I start? 3 years 5 months ago #143354

Thank you both for your input. I am still really looking forward to a boat build but I will send this one down river and look for another! Cheers

Do I give up before I start? 3 years 5 months ago #143355

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
The boat is a money pit, don't buy it to fix up.
But....The trailer is worth about $150+ as is.
The motor and controls would probably fetch $300 minimum on Craigslist, maybe more.
Steering wheel on eBay is worth no less than $50.
If you have the room and time to strip it I would.
Salvage some of the bright work and use on your fixable project.
IMHO of course.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)