Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Restoring Lonestar Admiral

Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115740

I'm on my way to pick up my new project, a Lonesstar Admiral, year unknown. I'll post pictures later. Will need windshield and brackets, logos, etc. Any and all advice appreciated! This is my first "tin" boat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115744

Good luck with the Admiral chick485 as I also have a dual cockpit 1956 Lonestar Admiral and so does a good friend of mine. I have many aluminum boats and love them all. Good luck, Roger

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115748

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looking forward to seeing pics of both of y'alls LoneStars, and welcome aboard!

Mark

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115754

Just got back with my new project, a Lonestar Admiral. Need help identifying the year. It may be a different model than the Admiral. It never had a windshield and there are no holes for "Lonestar" logos on the hull. Were these originally riveted on? I'll need some running lights from the 50's, but not necessarily the correct ones for this boat.
Attachments:

Re: Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115756

Roger, I'd love to see some pictures of your boat and your friends.

Mark, thanks.

Re: Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115758

chick485; dunphyboy,

WELCOME ABOARD.

NICE 1957 Lone Star.
(That was my FIRST boat, that my father bought me at age 13. - It was powered by a '57 Rude BigTwin.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115761

satx, thanks. I'll be mounting a newer motor on mine. You say "1957 Lone Star." How do you know it's a 57? There is no deck behind the drivers seat. I couldn't find a picture like that (no deck) in the brochures posted in the forums.

Do any of y'all know the years it was produced and the differences each year?

Re: Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115769

chick485,

NOPE, I don't know which years that the Lone Star Admiral was built. = Mine was identical in style to the pictured boat & was first sold "new" in early Spring 1958, as a "previous year's hold-over" by MAXINE MANJOS MARINE SERVICE of Daingerfield, TX.
(My boat with that BigTwin was timed on a 2-way run, over the "measured mile course" at Lone Star Lake at 28MPH, in the Summer of that year. - Later in 1960, the late Dr. Palmore Curry OD completed the same course at 51MPH with the hull powered by a Mark 78A Mercury "dock-buster". = Dr. Curry said that the Mk 78A was "just too much motor".)

SORRY, but that's all that I remember about that subject from my "misspent youth".

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115773

satx, thanks. So yours didn't have a deck behind the drivers seat? There was another seat just forward of the transom? Did it have a windshield? Was it on the forward deck?

I like your Jefferson quote! True especially today.

Re: Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115777

chick485,

NOPE. NO deck behind the driver's seat. - Mine had a rack fitted to the seat-back to hold several fishing rods.

There was a "backless" trolling seat/live well near the stern.
(I think that that seat/live well was a 'dealer installed" option.)

When I first got it, I removed the windshield, filled the holes & "went nekkid", as it was called in those long ago days/DAZE.
(None of the so-called "cool, young guys" in northeast TX wanted a windshield on their boats, as they were thought to look "sleeker" & far more "sporty", without the windshield.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115778

satx, yeah, we used to remove the windshields on our boats too. The bulkheads for that babk seat are riveted in from the factory. Someone cut out the aft-most (Is that even a word?) of the two aft seat bulkheads. I'll have to figure a way to make one. I hope someone can provide details/pictures of the upholstery on all of the seats.

Based on your input, I'll consider mine a 57 unless I find otherwise. I called the Tennessee license bureau for boats and gave them the registration number. They're sending me all the info. they have on record. Hopefully that will have the model year and serial number.

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115794

I think she looks like a 1956 model "Clipper". The 56 Sport models had the vertical aluminum trim around the cockpit edges, the 57 models had rounded cockpit edges. The Clipper had the small foreword cockpit with a larger open in the stern cockpit.
Attachments:

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115795

I think she looks like a 1956 model "Clipper". The 56 Sport models had the vertical aluminum trim around the cockpit edges, the 57 models had rounded cockpit edges. The Clipper had the small foreword cockpit with a larger open in the stern cockpit.
Attachments:

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115804

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
alumaglass wrote:

I think so, too. Even better, IMO.

....and I have one.

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115808

The Clipper is 16Ft. , mine is 14ft.-6inches. But does look like this. The bow ornament may tell the year along with not having a rear deck.
Attachments:

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115836

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Now I'm confused, again. :laugh:

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115849

Welcome to the "confusion club"!

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115854

Both the 1956 Clipper and 1957 Holiday had that "jet hood ornament". I've read somewhere (yahoo Lone Star Group, maybe) that Lone Star made a 14' Malibu model in 1957 that had the similar vertical cockpit trim as the Clipper. maybe the mystery could be an Malibu.
Attachments:

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115873

Viola!!! Maybe that's the answer! Maybe all will become clear when I get the registration info. from the Tennessee license bureau.

I found a "period" bow nav. light that will be perfect, but no stern light so far---at least that I can afford. I hope to eventually find a horn and spotlight. A real dream would be windshield and brackets.

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115892

chick,

Have had both a '56 Clipper and a '57 Malibu. I have the '56 catalog and yours looks to be a '56 Admiral Deluxe. Listed for $545 dollars according to my price list. Exactly like the 16' Clipper with the vertical cockpit trim that Alumaglass mentioned, but a 14' version. Regular Admiral had decks behind front and rear seat. Much deeper and more stout boat than the regular Admiral. Measure transom, should be 47", deck should be 52". Definitely not a Malibu, which had a walkthrough to front cockpit. "Rocket" bow piece was used on many different models.

Currently have a '59 Lone Star 15' Newport runabout and a '60 Lone Star El Dorado pocket cruiser. Lone Stars are really solid boats. Congrats.

Paul

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115904

Paul, Thanks, I think ya got it. Transom at deck measures 47", and the deck at maximum beam is 62". I'm guessing that your 52" is an "oops" and you meant 62".

I'm really looking forward to "digging in" to this project. I'll be mounting a long shaft motor, and will have to raise the transom. Someone has reinforced it with a 1/4"plate on back, and welded the top cap to the plate and transom skin. I'll have to cut all of this loose before removing the old wood and replacing it with the higher transom. I'll post some pictures of how it is now. But gotta leave now.

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115919

chick,

Deck measurement should be length, not width (beam). Have fun with the resto. Nice thing about aluminum is it doesn't rot, so not as much to redo. Catalog shows mahogany plywood seats.

Paul

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115920

Alumaglass,

Yep, the boat pic you posted (white/ yellow paint scheme) is a '57 Malibu with the walkthrough to front cockpit. Also has a different windshield bracket than the Admiral or Clipper.

Paul

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115928

Paul, I'm still confused on your 52" deck reference. The length on deck is 14'-6" (Actually closer to 14"-5 1/2"). The length of the foredeck is 48".

Here are some pictures. One shows a bow nav. light I found that should be fairly close. One shows how the aft bulkhead of the aft seat has been removed. The other 2 show the aluminum plate that is welded in and damage to the transom cap on the port side.

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115962

• ebdn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Here is a page from a 1956 Lone Star catalog.
Ed
Attachments:

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115979

This is driving me CRAZY!!! I'd say it's defiantly a Deluxe, but maybe not a '56? Some of the measurements are not the same as on the specs for the '56. But the picture is perfect, even including cleats on the fore deck, bow eye, and the transom top cap.

My deck length is 48" rather than 52". Length is 14'-6", not 14'. Beam is 62", not 60".

The picture doesn't seem to have the "jet hood ornament", but it is an artists rendition rather than a photograph and it isn't a very clear picture of this detail.

Good news is that the bow light I found seems to be a perfect match!

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #115998

I got the information from Tennessee Wildlife. They say it's a 1950 Lonestar "open". Length 14'-2" (It measures 14'-5 1/2") Ser. number 32356259.

Question: could this be for a different boat? Was the Admiral Deluxe even built as early as 1950? Does anyone have a list of serial numbers?

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #116011

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I wouldn't give too much consideration to what the TN registration info has on it, this is quite often proven to be inaccurate. Many of us have found that somewhere along the line the state officials were given the wrong information and filed it accordingly without realizing it was incorrect.

Even factory flyers and sales brochures can sometimes be off a little, they were frequently printed before the actual production started on the next year's models! Many times there is no exact science in the "ID Game", it's the best guestimation you can make. Luckily you have some pretty sharp folks helping to try to nail it down as close as possible. ;)

Mark

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #116016

Thanks Mark. I'm hoping to at least figure the year right.

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #116023

• ebdn
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
There appear to be mistakes in the ’56 catalog page. The deck length and depth amidships appear to be exchanged between the two boats. In 1957 the Admiral Deluxe became the Malibu with a change in the cockpit compartments, and the Clipper became the Nassau. The 1957 catalog in this site’s Library shows the Malibu deck length to be 48” and the depth amidships to be 27”, exactly matching the ’56 numbers if they were switched.
Your boat is a ’56, also because the reinforcing stringers on the bottom are running fore and aft, which is the way Lone Star built them in ’56. In ’57 and later the reinforcements went side-to-side.
Ed

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #116032

Thanks Ed!!! Looks like now it's "nailed down". I now officially call mine a 56. Any thoughts on replacing the aft seat bulkhead? I'm great with fiberglass and epoxy and screws, but don't work metal or weld. I also want to add corner boxes in the back for more flotation. This boat will be "renovated" rather than "restored". I want it to look original, but be updated with a modern motor and steering. I have an almost new 25hp Tohatsu 4-stroke , long shaft that I'll be using.

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #116103

I need some help with information about decals and logos. I have someone that will make these. We've decided that my boat is a 1956 Lonestar Admiral Deluxe. Here are the questions. Is the "lonestar" logo for my year and model a vinyl decal, or is it metal or plastic? I will be replacing it with a new vinyl decal. How long is this logo? How long is the shooting star decal that goes on the bow?

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #116113

Chick
On that other site, I mentioned I know a guy that's printed LoneStar stuff. Send me a private message there and I'll give you his contact info.

Examples of his work:

Installed:

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #116151

Thanks, done!

How long and what years were the Lonestar Admiral, and the Admiral Deluxe produced?

What differences were there for each year?

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #116281

Well, y'all, looks like she's "nailed down". The serial number reveals her as a 1956 Lonestar Clipper. A very rare critter!

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 6 months ago #116290

chick485 wrote:

Well, y'all, looks like she's "nailed down". The serial number reveals her as a 1956 Lonestar Clipper. A very rare critter!

How'd you decode the ser#?

I thought the Clippers were 16ft?

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 5 months ago #116390

Someone on another forum has the information. Lonestar apparently named the 14' boats "Clipper", and only for that year---I think. They also made the Admiral Deluxe that same year!!! I don't know what the difference was.
Serial number: 32356259.
32=Model number=Clipper
3=March
56=1956
259=production number of the boat

Re:Restoring Lonestar Admiral 8 years 2 months ago #119109

I'm thinking of selling the 1956 Lonestar Admiral. Gotta raise some cash to finish building my sailboat. Aluminum classic boat, needs restoration. Solid boat.
$600.oo for boat, trailer, and some restoration parts.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7096 guests and one member online