Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help IDing my brother's new boat?

Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 5 months ago #116870

• Mr. Asa
  • Mr. Asa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Dad found it recently. Real rough, but we haven't found anything near the two of them for a decent price. Figure a 14 footer will do nicely for him and his family.

It has a couple .22 rifle holes from some jerkwads, but a friend of dad's is going to weld it up for cheap after dad does the bodywork.
I'd like to find a new .... (it isn't a breasthook, but I'm not sure what the actual name is) but I'd need to know the make and model of the boat though.

I was going to get a 12HP motor for it. Think it needs more, or will that be good to start it off?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 5 months ago #116886

Alumacraft, IMO. Distinctive transom handles and slight curve at the stern corners

On the transom knee there should be a stamped serial#

AlumaCraft kept really good records, so w that ser# and length they can tell you what model and approx year. 1 of the few, if not the only company providing that info. Look on their website for a contact email address. If they have a brochure pdf on file, they will send you a copy.

Its riveted, so rather then weld those holes, I'd recommend using a small alumimum patch, back buttered w 3M 5200 and thru riveted to hold it in place.

You might get lucky and find a replacement bow cap online, ebay or craigs, but it will take a very long time. Might try a metal fab shop or your intended welder to see if they can make something similar since you have this 1 for a pattern

Based on 14ft and it doesnt appear overly wide.or narrow across the beam (width) I'd bet its an R model. I think the FG library has a late 50s early 60s R brochure page for it.

Re: Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 5 months ago #116887

The R was a 12 foot model.

This one looks like an "A" to me, maybe an "F"

And those seats should be sealed flotation tanks - looks like the rear seat may have been drilled to mount a pivoting seat.
Attachments:

Re: Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 5 months ago #116897

• Mr. Asa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys, definitely looks like an A or an F.
Was there a wide year range for them?

Re:Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 5 months ago #116900

• Mr. Asa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Dad found a plate riveted to the starboard outside of the stern, stamped ABCH3308M761 (The last digit may be an I).
Measures just under 53" across the beam, with the stern being slightly narrower.

Alumacraft F model? Does the plate say anything to anyone?

Re:Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 5 months ago #116901

Mr. Asa wrote:

Dad found a plate riveted to the starboard outside of the stern, stamped ABCH3308M761 (The last digit may be an I).
Measures just under 53" across the beam, with the stern being slightly narrower.

Alumacraft F model? Does the plate say anything to anyone?

That HIN isnt in the correct location and wouldn't have been original in the 50s/60s so its likely a state issued # for registration or title purposes.

Check the transom knee. As I'm 100% sure its an AlumaCraft (just got the model letters mixed up) the stamped number and an email to AlumaCraft will tell you exactly what model and approx year. Likely an F though.

Re:Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 5 months ago #116904

• Mr. Asa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Yeah, dad sent me a pic of the stamped plate. Doesn't look like anything from the factory.
Still waiting on him to flip the boat over to see if anything is stamped on the inside

Re:Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 5 months ago #116990

• Mr. Asa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
There might be a #3 cast into the transom brace, but it looks like the top might've broken off? Does that help with anything?

Re:Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 5 months ago #116993

Look closer down towards the curve in the knee brace. I've never seen the original factory ser# stamped up far enough to be missing because of that damage. Sometimes it is incredibly difficult to see the ser#.

The 3 doesnt help ID it, or at least it doesnt for me.

Re:Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 1 week ago #121234

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7

Re:Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 1 week ago #121239

It has been 35+ years since we sold Alumacrafts, but it looks like it may be a 1976 F7. The seat swivel on the aluminum seat clamp is a factory option. I think that the second and third letters are flopped, and the last is an I (April production).

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 1 week ago #121241

• Mr. Asa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Joe, you are correct. It's been a while since I checked this, but it is definitely a '76. I remember finding a chart of measurements of the boat and passing them on to Dad, we weren't 100% sure if it was an F7 or F7G. I forget what the measurements ended up being, but I think it's an F7.

Wish you hadn't mentioned that about the seat clamp :lol: I've been arguing with Dad about whether that was home made or factory. He was of the opinion that the bends were too nice to be home made, whereas I said that given a pipe of the right diameter and a sheet metal brake I could turn one out fairly easily.
I guess I need to go let him know about that :lol:

Re:Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 1 week ago #121300

Mr. Asa wrote:

ACB is the "MIC" for Alumacraft
ABC is an invalid MIC (reserved for examples!!)

M76 means model year 1976
a final "I" likely means "made in the 9th month" (september)

Re:Help IDing my brother's new boat? 8 years 1 week ago #121321

The final letter in this case is based on the model year change, so August is "A", not January as in calendar year. "I" the ninth month is instead April.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6604 guests and one member online