Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Lonestar Malibu

1959 Lonestar Malibu 8 years 2 months ago #119786

I have a 1959 Lonestar Malibu project I don't know what to do with, I bought a 1969 evinrude selectric shift motor for it but it had no controls or anything so I don't have a harness for the controls I bought, and the motor needs some stuff rewired, am I in over my head? :unsure: :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Lonestar Malibu 8 years 2 months ago #119795

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome home! The Lone Star project should be an easy start for you. Just ask away with any questions. There's plenty of help here. The '69 'Rude is a fine motor and the selectric shift are good when working as designed. I've had several of them and absolutely no problems when the lower unit is maintained properly. They require a special oil/lube not just regular gear oil. The lube can be bought at most box stores or marine dealers but make sure you read the label saying that it can be used in the electric shift models. NOW you do have a problem by not having the controls for the motor. The electric shift is a different horse with a different set of reins. A push button control is needed and they ain't cheap on the web. They are available on ebay but hang onto your wallet. I managed to rig one out of spare parts using a two position push/pull light switch but it requires some wiring skills, diodes, etc.
Here's a link that if you need one I would jump on it right now. tonight. Hard to just find that button configuration for less than $80.

Re: 1959 Lonestar Malibu 8 years 2 months ago #119802

Dalton6336,

WELCOME ABOARD.

Sounds like a FINE 1st project to me!!!

I'd bet that if you "look about" that you can find all the "stuff" that you need for 50-100 bucks.
(The expensive things on most tin boats is the seats & paint.)

just my OPINION, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1959 Lonestar Malibu 8 years 2 months ago #119805

I did buy controls for it off of eBay but they did not come with the wiring harness that goes from the controls to the motor, I can't seem to find that anywhere

Re:1959 Lonestar Malibu 8 years 2 months ago #119822

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I would look up the member TheToyBox. I believe he is from Rochester, Mn. You could look on the Glassified page under "Engines". when you scroll down, you will see his post with a BUNCH of outboards. I think I even remember him helping a member on here with other Evinrude Wiring that seemed similar to what you are needing.
Hope this helps.
Dr.Go! (Mark)

Dr.Go!

Re:1959 Lonestar Malibu 8 years 2 months ago #119830

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
What color is the plug-in on the motor side? Red? Yellow? Black? You have to get the harness that matches the color. I just might have one, have to check though.

Re:1959 Lonestar Malibu 8 years 2 months ago #119850

I wil look later today to see what color it is

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6948 guests and one member online