Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
FiberGlassics® North-East
  • Page:

TOPIC: What shows are people going to this year?

What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 11 months ago #60062

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I plan on doing one show at a distance this year and would like to pick one with a good crowd. What is everyone planning for this summer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 11 months ago #60146

Generally, we do Silver Lake 1st Saturday in June (usually fairly small) and Hammondsport on Keuka Lake 3rd weekend in July. We bring two vehicles when we do these meets, drag the tiny travel trailer along, especially now that we have a puppy. We stay at the grand canyon of NYS, Letchworth State Park for Silver Lake, and the beautiful Keuka State Park for the Hammondsport meet. We have reservations for Silver Lake for Friday and Saturday nights, and stay at Keuka as a major summer vacation, this year for about 1 and 1/2 weeks. We love Keuka Lake!

Frank

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 11 months ago #60167

although its an hour farther for us silver lake is much calmer for our boat but there will definetly be a larger crowd at keuka, and keuka is a much bigger and prettier lake. ron

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 10 months ago #60254

PC1000 wrote:

Generally, we do Silver Lake 1st Saturday in June (usually fairly small) and Hammondsport on Keuka Lake 3rd weekend in July. We bring two vehicles when we do these meets, drag the tiny travel trailer along, especially now that we have a puppy. We stay at the grand canyon of NYS, Letchworth State Park for Silver Lake, and the beautiful Keuka State Park for the Hammondsport meet. We have reservations for Silver Lake for Friday and Saturday nights, and stay at Keuka as a major summer vacation, this year for about 1 and 1/2 weeks. We love Keuka Lake!

Frank

We are planning to stay a while for the Hammondsport meet as well.

Wondering if you could email the info on the campground you stayed at or post it here.

Thanks

Dave

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 10 months ago #60330

We love this park Dave for a number of reasons, the boat launch being one of them.

nysparks.com/parks/67/details.aspx

See ya soon.

Frank

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 10 months ago #60985

The way things are going right now, it is getting doubtful that we will make it to Silver Lake. If I can't get the boat done, we're not going, and will cancel reservations at Letchworth. No time to work on the boat, and need stuff that I don't have cash for.

Frank

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 10 months ago #60987

frank im in the same boat,pun intended,lol
i want to have a boat done too,but its not looking good yet,i have a ton to do 1st,and the faux stone for the room addition(in NBR)made us broke,literally ,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 10 months ago #61007

I would suggest home improvements will give you more lasting enjoyment on a daily basis than a boat anyways John.

I need to do some repairs to our tiny travel trailer, as we may be selling it if we buy a larger one, i.e. 15-16'. We hope to take a look at one soon, like weekend after next over near Rochester. If we buy it, it will be coming to Keuka with us. I do hope my boat will be ready to go by then!

Good luck buddy.

Frank

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 10 months ago #61023

PC1000 wrote:

I would suggest home improvements will give you more lasting enjoyment on a daily basis than a boat anyways John.

I need to do some repairs to our tiny travel trailer, as we may be selling it if we buy a larger one, i.e. 15-16'. We hope to take a look at one soon, like weekend after next over near Rochester. If we buy it, it will be coming to Keuka with us. I do hope my boat will be ready to go by then!

Good luck buddy.

Frank

While it is true that the physical improvements will be there longer for others to see, everyone needs to enjoy life and the memories will be there for a long time as well.

All work and no play makes Johnny, (and Frank) a dull boy.

Get out and enjoy the boats and your friends while you can!

Let me know in a couple weeks if you think you guys can make it so I know how much food to get, we will be having grilled chicken and dogs after water play time, hope to see you there!

Dave

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 10 months ago #61067

I have suggested (never, never told!) to the little woman that I need a puppy-free weekend to get the boat closer to being ready. Closer meaning get the jack plate mounted and the motor on. I still need to figure out how to wire this jack plate. I have an idea. I need to get my kill switch wired in too. She wanted the puppy, so for mother's day, she can have the puppy all day long. ;>}

If I'm successful this weekend, we'll be at Silver Lake. Still have a lot of other things to do, but sorta need a working motor to have a boat that is worth bringing to a meet. Time is shrinking, as a week from tomorrow we're on a road trip that will consume the entire day to look at another travel trailer. We'll see how that goes. If we buy it, it will follow us to Letchworth. Later this summer I would do a few finishing touches on Spot and sell that one to recoup a bit of cash.

Frank

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 10 months ago #61261

We're probably coming over for the meet boat or no boat. Tim owes me a piston ring, plus we had planned to bring over some stuff (our old lawn mower and string trimmer) for Max & Kimmy.

Still having problems mounting the jack plate, so still no motor on this past weekend. Next Saturday is out as well, so we'll see how it goes this week. May need another $100 investment to get this jack plate working, but cash is very tight, so that may put off the whole thing till July.

Frank

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 8 months ago #63639

i need info on the buffalo boat show,when and exactly where?thanks john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 8 months ago #63648

It's at the Launch Club on Grand Island, main show is Sept. 8, nice dinner for free on Friday, and Corn roast Saturday evening. Camping near by or special room rate at the Holiday in on the Island. Let me know if you need more info, Ron was sort of thinking about going as well.

35th Annual Show
Antique Boat Show and Raceboat Reunion Buffalo Launch Club • September 7-9, 2012 Hosted by the Niagara Frontier Chapter ACBS

Feature Boats - Bob Bannister's “Baby Gar V”

Vintage Unlimited Hydroplanes - Featuring Dick Higgon's "Miss Budweiser”

Classic Car Show

This is an action show- You will see the boats run!

Lyle Dinsmore's "Miss Gangway”

This Year's Feature Manufacture: Shepherd Boats

Fleet of Wooden Sailboats headlined by the 60' Alden "Dreamer" from Erie PA

http://www.oldboatsbuffalo.org/boatshow.htm

http://www.oldboatsbuffalo.org/apps/calendar/showEvent?calID=3096076&eventID=180856489

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 8 months ago #63673

thank you dave,now i have to get the devil ray done,plus other stuff,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 8 months ago #63694

great john...glad you were able to accept another dog in your life. when i lost Sheena that was it for me.

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 8 months ago #63946

thanks ron,sorry i didnt see this until today.
we will always miss my buddy,but i figured lorraine could use a friend(ollie the pup,lol)if something should ever happen to me,lol.
who all is going to buffaloo?
if this heat ever stops (98 plus today 105 heat index)i will get todds cowling done then hopefully some work on the devil ray.
its just ay too hot for me to function.john

---Mark Twain

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 8 months ago #63971

i honestly think i'll never make the buffalo show as long as it remains on the same weekend as my chapters show..Philadelphia acbs at Tuckerton Seaport.

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 8 months ago #64090

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I've been to both Buffalo and Hammondsport and can give an unbiased analysis on both (since neither are local for me). I enjoyed both but the biggest difference is that Hammondsport is better for having a boat in the water and Buffalo is better for land based activities.

Keuka Lake (and probably any of the finger lakes) are great for running our boats around. There is plenty of distance to cover and the chop is comparatively small. However, there is not a lot of activity on land so the latter part of the day tends to drag. I wouldn't do Hammondsport again if I didn't have a dock space.

On the other Buffalo has a lot going on land. A great clubhouse and venue. A large number of boats to go look at. Lots of venders and booths. Races and demonstrations in the river. Always something going on around the club house plus a 100 car classic car show. On the other hand, the Niagara River is rough. Any boat our size would just pound. I would not want to run the Aqua Ray there. This is a show you could show up to without a boat and enjoy.

I know there are probably people out there who will take exception to some of my comments, but this is my observation and reaction. I would go back to both again.

Who is in for H this year? If I decide to go, it will be a last minute decision.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 8 months ago #64098

Ron, Buffalo will always be the weekend after Labor Day, as I suspect is Tuckerton, so I guess we won't be seeing you there.

Todd, good assessment of the shows.

I'll be going to Buffalo Show, missed it last year because of work.

I don't think we will make it to Hammondsport this year. I had planned to go and took vacation time off around the show, but I have no tow vehicle of my own at this time, so that would make it kind of tough. Lack of interest around here also played into the decision, but maybe next year. I think it is a good show, and a beautiful location. I agree on the lack of afternoon activities and would also register in the water next time. New people running the show this year, and not sure if they are really on top of things, it wasn't like when Terry ran it that's for sure.

What ever you guys decide, I hope you have a great time, and if you decide to make the trek to Buffalo, look me up...

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 8 months ago #64114

I'll be at Hammondsport this year, probably next, etc, just because we love the place. This year the weekend you have the show in Buffalo we will be camping with a couple of Gail's sisters and there families up at Lake George. They will be in tents, we will be in a little travel trailer with heat and A/C...

Frank

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 7 months ago #66489

ok,we are planing on going to bufallo,who all is going?
and where are you staying,which hotel/motel?john

---Mark Twain

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #68607

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Tuckerton Antique Boat Show.. B) This weekend Sept 8th & 9th .. Gonna Mose down :side:

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #68627

yep...see ya there tony.

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #68667

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
probably mose in about 10

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #68751

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Tuckerton Seaport Show

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #68774

Looks like fun...how many boats were there?

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #68776

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Not as good as last year mabey 20-25 boats

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #68781

hey tony...they're mailing you a 2nd place plaque. ron
brian told me about 10 boats didn't show because of the weather. pics later.......

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #68799

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I can't believe it ,Holy Smokes !

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #68822

Tony, if you're going to have it judged, stick a period correct motor on it. That's an automatic 10 point deduction for that motor.

We had about 10% no show at the Buffalo show due to weather.

It did clear up and all the boats ran a little later in the day.

River was smooth as glass for our run around the island Sunday morning...

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #68826

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I know ... I had the 1978 Merc on it last year ..They deducted points for that :angry: , my teleflex steering ..got deducte :angry: d,the new transom we built, from 15' to 20 inch got deducted :angry: And I had a burn on my new seats from an electricial fire at the last minute! :ohmy: I actually have a 1965 Merc 65 hp motor that I bought last year ,fresh water engine .. But I got tired or messing around with engines ,so I bought the new 50 hp 4 stroke Merc engine.. I't nice to turn the key and not have to worry about breaking down !! :woohoo:

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #68827

after what tony paid for that merc , i don't think he's going back to a period correct motor very soon.
Attachments:

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #69327

October 6th...Knucklebusters AOMCI wet meet at Lake Hopatcong,N.J....you don't need to be a member to attend or launch your boat. i'll be there at 9 with the mantaray as will Tony (65g3) with his g3. ron

Re:What shows are people going to this year? 11 years 6 months ago #69333

We're off to Fredonia NY to see Max, Kimmy, and our grandson Mason that weekend, but also Tim Calmes for some 1350 stuff and Terry Holland for some '47 Old Town stuff. Also have a few other stops to make. Busy fellow!

Enjoy it Ron. Get that old Custom Craft out and beat the heck out of it!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)