Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
FiberGlassics® North-West
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another mystery Fiberform

Another mystery Fiberform 8 years 3 months ago #118389

Greetings. I'm a new member who recently bought a Canadian-built 1970s? 16-ft Fiberform (faux lapstrake) in really nice condition. My first runabout; I'm moving up from a 14-ft skiff.

The manufacturer's tag (Canadian Fibreform Ltd, Kelowna, BC) states the max engine size is 100 hp, max payload 1,665 lbs and max 6 passengers. Serial number 7016164.

There's a crippled old 50hp Johnson 2-stroke on it now that I am replacing, and the former owner said it made the boat go like stink. On my budget, I have to go with a late-model used engine instead of a new one, but I'm unsure what size or type of engine will get this hull up on the plane without running at max revs. I'd also like to know what model this is so I can get a a bimini and maybe a new windscreen that fit. Any info from anyone will be gratefully received. Thanks.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Another mystery Fiberform 8 years 3 months ago #118978

Have decided to get a new Tohatsu 50hp, 4-stroke (not the TLDI model). The local dealer in my area has an excellent deal on right now.

Re:Another mystery Fiberform 8 years 1 month ago #120151

I finally located the metal tag, and the last digits on the serial number are 64, so it must be a 1964 model. Still no idea what the model is, but I am delighted that the boat is such good shape after so much time. I know the original owner kept it in a garage. I'd love to know the model but there's not much data available on the Kelowna-made boats. I have the new Tohatsu 50 hp, 4-stroke on it now, as well as Mercury 2.5 hp, 4-stroke kicker. I'll be breaking it in soon.

Re:Another mystery Fiberform 7 years 9 months ago #123336

I misread the tag, and it turns out my boat is a 1972. Goes really well with the Tohatsu 50, gets up on a light plane at 3500 and full plane above 4000. It did 23 knots in a light chop at 6000 rpm the other day, so it'll probably hit 30 knots if I ever take it to 7000 rpm in flat seas.

My only complaint is that its weight makes it tough to steer when coming into a dock or aiming for the centre roller to get it nosed up on the trailer.

Another mystery Fiberform 1 year 8 months ago #147032

I realize this is an old post, but I'll comment regardless, it may help others...
Do you still have your Fiberform? I just picked up a similar fiberform and have some ideas on the serial number. I think yours is a 70 16 footer. First four digits of the SN. Not the last numbers as the hull numbers weren't mandatory until late 72 and began the current format. Looks to me like fiberform had their own numbering system, mine starts 7216... 1972 16'. I also have a letter at the end of it's SN, an "N" perhaps that designates what model it is? How'd you like the 50, was it enough? I have the Honda BF50A on this one with the standard 12" prop. It launches nicely with 2 people, cruises at 20-25mph and tops out at 30@6000rpm. It's enough for this little boat and for what I need atm.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7707 guests and no members online