TOPIC: Teleflex Steering questions..

Teleflex Steering questions.. 8 years 7 months ago #114552

• deac1234
  • deac1234's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

Need to do two things to my Teleflex Safe-T QC II steering. One is figure where the squeak is coming from so I need to remove the steering wheel and need to know the best/right way to pull it (see pix)

Second is to get the wheel level when the boat is going straight. To do this I need to pull the cable and while I have the instructions, I can't seem to get the cable out of the box.

Any thoughts on either problem appreciated...

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Teleflex Steering questions.. 8 years 7 months ago #114598

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I would try a couple drops of oil between the wheel and the helm cover first. If that's not successful, remove the lock nut shown in your pic and pull the wheel straight off. The helm cover (plastic) should come off as well.

You will need to disconnect the steering cable sheath from the helm, then crank the wheel whichever direction sends the cable out of the helm.

Mark

Re:Teleflex Steering questions.. 8 years 7 months ago #114600

• 65G3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I remember when mine had a squeek The steering wheel was rubbing on the back side .Remove the nut... take the wheel off . center the motor... put the steering wheel back on straight ! put the nut on to center it !!

Re:Teleflex Steering questions.. 8 years 7 months ago #114677

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Sound Advice Gents.

Deac1234 don't forget to check your steering unit for grease fitting when you re-assemble. Some units have them some don't

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Teleflex Steering questions.. 8 years 7 months ago #114947

also ck the length of the steering adapter at the engine it may be too long or short, set your steering to where ya want it and unhook at the engine measure the difference you need and figure if its to long or short

Re:Teleflex Steering questions.. 8 years 6 months ago #115257

• deac1234
  • deac1234's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ok! Got the steering wheel off...with a little PB Blaster, a bit of carefully placed heat and a tap or two on the nut and it popped right off! The squeak turned out to be the shaft rubbing on the plastic cosmetic cover. Easy fix.

Steering wheel sitting 120° off turned out to be an easy fix too. Wheel is indexed by a key/slot in the shaft, wheel has three 'slots' P.O. mounted the wheel 120° off for some reason.. maybe one too many beers... hehe. Back together and steering is level when motor is centered.

New Pitot fixed the inoperative speedometer. A 'new' detachable front escutcheon (found on Ebay) fixed the display on the JVC AM/FM radio.

That's the good news....... the bad news?? Fogged the engine, drained the carbs, drained and replaced the lower end gear oil. Treated the remaining gas in the tank, greased the fittings on the 'engine foot' and trailer wheels. Packed the electrical connectors on the trailer with bulb grease and bagged it. Pulled the battery and hauled the rig off to storage............

Too many other projects needing attention.. not any time (or energy) left for what remains of the boating season...

Re:Teleflex Steering questions.. 8 years 6 months ago #115477

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Too many other projects needing attention.. not any time (or energy) left for what remains of the boating season...[/quote]

Deac1234,

Know that she will be waiting and set up to go next season should be some comfort.
DON"T let all the other projects stay in the way too long. Mine have kept me out of the water for two seasons now.
I sit at my desk and dream about next year, and hope.

Have a short wait.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6115 guests and no members online