Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Removing/replacing sponson wood truss.

Removing/replacing sponson wood truss. 11 years 6 months ago #70899

• dspeck
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm making progress on my '60 G3 but would appreciate some technical assistance. The wood members inside the sponsons looks like it should be replaced. The previous restorer didn't seem to do a very good job replacing them as the glass covering them has little resin on it. Removing the floor supports wasn't easy and I open access to them. I would appreciation any advice/suggestions on how best to remove them from the sponsons. The previous restorer cut down the transom-gunwhale joint to the mid-point of each sponson and then cut through the sponson at the mid-point along its entire length from the transom to the bow end of the sponson. He then cut vertically from the bow end of the sponson to the top of the gunwhale and lifted off the top of the sponson. After replacing the wood, he glassed the top back in place using the new wood to support the top and then applied glass over the wood to finish the job. Is this the best way to make this replacement or are there better alternatives? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Removing/replacing sponson wood truss. 11 years 6 months ago #70962

Hi Dspeck,

I did not get inside my sponsons when I did my restoration. The original construction of the sponson included the entire top of the sponson and upper gunwhale to be added after the boat came out of the mould. The vertical seam that you see at the front end of the sponson (runs right under the G3 emblem) is factory stock. Are you sure that previous restorer cut it there?

If it were me... I would cut out the interior plywood providing access to the inside of the sponson, make the new frame structures and sister them to the existing ones, and glass them up real well. Before i sistered anything, I would get the original ones very dry and then soak the old ones with thinned resin as to get it to soak in well... I would not cut the top off the sponsons!

Dean

Factory seam (under the emblem):
Attachments:

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Removing/replacing sponson wood truss. 11 years 5 months ago #71047

• dspeck
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks, Dean. Your response saved me a b-i-i-g mistake! I really appreciate it.

Re:Removing/replacing sponson wood truss. 11 years 5 months ago #71053

dspeck:

Here is a link for you to a thread over on classicglasspars that was started by a good friend of mine that did a major restoration on his 1960 Glasspar G-3. Hopefully the pictures and posts of the stringers etc.can help you some! ;)

www.classicglasspars.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=2&id=6267&Itemid=545

Re:Removing/replacing sponson wood truss. 11 years 5 months ago #71112

My pleasure Dspeck, glad I could offer some help.

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6379 guests and no members online