Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mercury history

Mercury history 11 years 3 weeks ago #75919

Hey guys!
I am writing a term paper for school on Mercury Marine and I hit a small snag. My two main sources don't tell the history of the company all the way up to the present. They stop around the 1990's.
Does anyone know of any real innovations that Mercury have come up with in the last 10 or so years?
I already asked Tim Calmes out in Rochester if he had any ideas and he couldn't think of any.

thanks, Derek w. (well-worth-it)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Mercury history 11 years 3 weeks ago #75949

Hi Derek,

I am no pro on the subject, but it seems to me you should focus on two areas; the V-6 racing outboards (where their newest technology is first deployed) and the cool things that Mercury is doing in the I/O arena. I love the "Sky-hook" technology associated with the I/Os, saw it at a boat show a few years ago... where the system is GPS enabled (designed to fly-by-wire) and a precision system that will virtually hold your boat in any position and direction without any mooring lines/anchor... in spite of wind and currents. In other words, pull up to a spot, and press the sky-hook button and the computer will hold you in the exact spot... pull up to your slip and step off and the boat stays put until you get the mooring lines tied... pull up to your favorite fishing spot or to chat with someone in another boat... and you boat just locks itself in place... sure the engines/shifting/steering are busy, but you are hands off. I am not 100% positive if Merc brought that innovation to market first, but at that time, no one else was marketing it. They also have duo-props, but that is old Volvo technology. I think also you should look at the performance I/Os... very impressive.

Hope this helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024