• Page:

TOPIC: G-3 takes Best Antique of Show

G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76792

• morris
  • morris's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
John and Sharon P. 1960 G-3 won Best Antique of Show at the 14th Annual Cape Fear Community College Boat Show. The event was sponsored by the CFCC Boat Building Program. A good showing given the early morning rain. Attached are shots of John and Sharon's G-3 and two notable antique boats in attendance. The first is a 1959 Simmons Sea Skiff. A popular SE Atlantic fishing boat and an exceptional 1956? Halsey. There were many interesting boats including several one of a kinds. This event was heavily attended by the Blue Ridge Chapter of the ACBS.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76797

Al,...thanks for your post and kind words! Sharon and I were so glad that you, Sandy, Mike and Linda were able to drive down from Virginia to join Sharon and I at this antique boat show! There is not two other families I would rather be with than you guys!

Winning the award was a first for us. We had entered our G-3 in other antique boat shows before but never won anything. LOL!
Although this antique boat show was small, I think it will grow as time goes on. The college has a great Marine Technology School and all the registration fees from this show go to provide scholarships to students interested in Marine Technology.

Next year, we will have to enter more of our Glasspars!

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76807

Congrats. Nice boat!

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76808

seabuddy wrote:

Congrats. Nice boat!

Thanks SeaBuddy!

Here is a better photo of our G-3 from the show:
Attachments:

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76809

One more photo of the boat right after we finished the refurbish:
Attachments:

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76811

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
GOOD report / post AL. Nice pics. That red boat is sweet. I've
seen that boat , I been in that boat. CONGRATS John & Sharon
Go Glasspar. maybe a different 59 red & white for Chatt soon.

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76815

Split wrote:

GOOD report / post AL. Nice pics. That red boat is sweet. I've
seen that boat , I been in that boat. CONGRATS John & Sharon
Go Glasspar. maybe a different 59 red & white for Chatt soon.

Thanks Larry!

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76826

I wanna ride!

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76827

John, what brand or where did you get the plate to mount your motor. Some day I will put a long shaft 4 stroke 50hp on mine but I don't want to build up the transom. Is it heavy, and how did you adjust to work best?

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76828

seabuddy wrote:

I wanna ride!

Chris,....you can drive our G-3 anytime you want to Sir!

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76829

jasonraser wrote:

John, what brand or where did you get the plate to mount your motor. Some day I will put a long shaft 4 stroke 50hp on mine but I don't want to build up the transom. Is it heavy, and how did you adjust to work best?

Jason:

Thanks for your reply to the thread Sir.

Jason,...the hydraulic jackplate on our G-3 is made in Florida by
"Bobs Machine." Here is a link to their website for you to see all of their hydraulic jackplate models:

www.bobsmachine.com/Products/jackplate_hydraulic.cfm

Jason,...I see NO DOWNSIDE to this hydraulic jackplate at all!!
We are very happy with ours and I highly recommend it. Our model is the ULTRA and it weighs about 29 pounds. There is minimum setback (only 3 7/8") and the plate looks good on the boat.
It adjusts from 1" to 5" and is GREAT when heading into shallow water as all you have to do is raise the engine up with a button. It also is nice when running wide open and trying to get more speed to be able to raise that lower unit up while still driving the boat.

Jason, in mounting/installing the jackplate, we raised the plate about 1/4" above the transom and have to only raise the motor hydraulically to the 2" mark to have the lower skeg even or just a little above the "even line" to the bottom of the boat.

I was told by several people and Glasspar G-3 Owners that this set-up would NOT work on our G-3, but those people were DEAD WRONG! Not only does it work, but it helped the overall performance of the boat ALOT along with the added benefits I listed above. The jackplate has been on our G-3 for four (4) years now with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever!

I will post some "close-up" pictures for you so you can see how it looks and is mounted.

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76830

Jason:

I wanted to also tell you that the Staff @ "Bob's Machine" are GREAT to deal with! They are friendly and very helpful everytime I have called them. I called them alot initially and they were very patient with me each and everytime I called them. They also give a good warranty on all of their units.

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76831

Jason, here are some closer pictures for you of the jackplate on our G-3:
Attachments:

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76833

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
1 - Morris, thank you for sharing the report and pics from the show, looks like I'll have to add another one to "the bucket list"! :)

2 - John and Sharon, Well deserved award folks, you did a wonderful job bringing her back to full glory IMO. Also, kudos to you for trying the jack plate against the "they says" and "nay sayers", sometimes you just have to go your own route! It's great to gather info and advise from those with experience, but in the end it's up to you to make the final decisions. ;)

Mark

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76844

MarkS wrote:

1 - Morris, thank you for sharing the report and pics from the show, looks like I'll have to add another one to "the bucket list"! :)

2 - John and Sharon, Well deserved award folks, you did a wonderful job bringing her back to full glory IMO. Also, kudos to you for trying the jack plate against the "they says" and "nay sayers", sometimes you just have to go your own route! It's great to gather info and advise from those with experience, but in the end it's up to you to make the final decisions. ;)

Thanks Mark!

You are very right on what you said about the "naysayers." LOL!
You would not believe some of the "horror stories" I was told about adding a jackplate to our G-3. I have to also give credit to Mr. Kevin Sweeney from south Florida, who is also a G-3 owner and has both a center deck and open deck G-3. Kevin also has almost the same hydraulic jackplate on his two (2) G-3's that I have. He was also very helpful to me and pretty much said to ignore the "doom and gloom" reports I got! LOL! To my knowledge, Kevin has had no problems with either of his hydraulic jackplates either.

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76875

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
VERY deserving with great history of the boat,,congrats John,, Bill

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76886

Thanks Bill!

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76963

Ever think about bringing your G 3 to the St. Michaels Antique and Classic Boat Show and Festival June 14,15,16,2013? The show has trailer and in water displays. If you like to take rides, ask Chuck Warner for an easy slip to do this from. Tell him you have a G-3. He has one, too.(hint, offer him a ride once the show is set and going on). Your choice to be judged or not. This is a hobby club show. About 30 of us take on different pieces each year to put in on. contact me as you need, I know the folks.

P.S. Make sure there is some shopping time in your visit. And some time to eat and make new friends.

Big show, about 130 classic boats plus lots of other stuff.

seabuddy
chris brown
518-281-0045
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #76999

seabuddy wrote:

Ever think about bringing your G 3 to the St. Michaels Antique and Classic Boat Show and Festival June 14,15,16,2013? The show has trailer and in water displays. If you like to take rides, ask Chuck Warner for an easy slip to do this from. Tell him you have a G-3. He has one, too.(hint, offer him a ride once the show is set and going on). Your choice to be judged or not. This is a hobby club show. About 30 of us take on different pieces each year to put in on. contact me as you need, I know the folks.

P.S. Make sure there is some shopping time in your visit. And some time to eat and make new friends.

Big show, about 130 classic boats plus lots of other stuff.

seabuddy
chris brown
518-281-0045
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Chris:

Yes Sir,...our East Coast Glasspar Owners Association is planning on trying to make the "St. Michaels Antique and Classic Boat Show" this year. We have heard so many great things about it.
Hopefully, we will be able to make it Chris.

Thanks!

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #77016

Bring some G-3s, please! When I joined about 6 years ago, they said that G-3s were a big player at the show. Since then, I have seen one or two every year, but not what I would call "big" presence. Maybe we can get back to something like that this year or next. Let's work on it. I look forward to it.

If I can help in any way, let me know. Chris Brown, 518-281-0045, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

I live about an hour and a half from where the show and festival is held.

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #77381

call if I cab help.

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #77422

seabuddy wrote:

call if I cab help.

Thanks Chris!

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 11 months ago #77700

no worries.

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 10 months ago #78338

• g3bill
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
John, Cool pic of you and Sharon standing in the water next to g3:-)... (pic very top by morris)

3 cd g3's
1 seafair sedan

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 10 months ago #78347

Who will win “Best G-3 at the 26th Annual Antique and Classic Boat Show and Festival Award"? This is a new award and will be given out at the 26th Annual Antique and classic Boat Show and Festival in St. Michaels, MD over the three days of June 14, 15,16, 2013.
The Boat Show Meeting was tonight. This is a go.
Award will be judged only by those boat owners that bring a G-3 to the Show. G-3 folks will judge G-3 Glaspar Boats. This is somewhat outside the rules, but of several choices of judging, this was thought best.

www.seabuddyonboats.com is sponsoring/paying for the Award and Chris (seabuddy) Brown will present this Award alongside all the other Awards the club gives out (about 40) that are judged by ACBS rules.

Seabuddy does not own a G-3 right now, so he can not vote. Only G-3 boat owners will vote and they will decide what they value as best representing the Best of Show G-3 Boat Brand at the show. There will be no fee for entering your boat into the judging, register with the show that you are bringing a G-3 (there is fee for registration) and it will be up to that group of G-3 Boat owners to judge what they like and value best.

Are you going to win this?

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 10 months ago #78426

g3bill wrote:

John, Cool pic of you and Sharon standing in the water next to g3:-)... (pic very top by morris)

Thanks Bill! That picture was taken at one of the many sand beaches at the south end of Topsail Island, N.C. right where the Atlantic ICW meets the Atlantic Ocean.

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 10 months ago #78428

seabuddy wrote:

Who will win “Best G-3 at the 26th Annual Antique and Classic Boat Show and Festival Award"? This is a new award and will be given out at the 26th Annual Antique and classic Boat Show and Festival in St. Michaels, MD over the three days of June 14, 15,16, 2013.
The Boat Show Meeting was tonight. This is a go.
Award will be judged only by those boat owners that bring a G-3 to the Show. G-3 folks will judge G-3 Glaspar Boats. This is somewhat outside the rules, but of several choices of judging, this was thought best.

www.seabuddyonboats.com is sponsoring/paying for the Award and Chris (seabuddy) Brown will present this Award alongside all the other Awards the club gives out (about 40) that are judged by ACBS rules.

Seabuddy does not own a G-3 right now, so he can not vote. Only G-3 boat owners will vote and they will decide what they value as best representing the Best of Show G-3 Boat Brand at the show. There will be no fee for entering your boat into the judging, register with the show that you are bringing a G-3 (there is fee for registration) and it will be up to that group of G-3 Boat owners to judge what they like and value best.

Are you going to win this?

Chris:

Sorry, but we were unable to make this event due to an unfortunate death in our family last week. Maybe next year we can be there with you.

Re:G-3 takes Best Antique of Show 10 years 10 months ago #78533

Sorry for your loss.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7743 guests and 3 members online