Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood

G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88546

Any thoughts? My boat needs new stringers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88567

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I used straight grained white oak in my rocket. tried to make them out of plywood and they seemed weak. frog

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88573

Thanks.

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88604

I use yellow pine, NO knots. I believe thats what the factorys used back in the day.

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88609

Good info. thanks!

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88620

I use clear Douglas Fir, soaked with acetone-thinned polyester resin after all cuts are made.

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88625

Again, thanks.

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88638

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Chris, Most boat manufactures used what was close, cheap, and available. Glasspar used Douglas Fir in their boats. Some manufactures used Clear SPF (spruce, pine, fir), Clear White Oak, Clear Yellow pine, and cedars are widely used in the industry. Wood is but structural support filler the real strength is in the fiberglass. That said wood is necessary as long sections of fiberglass with out a structural filler aka support will twist, oil can, distort, and crack. There is as much debate as to which wood is best. I use Clear fir because it is close to the Douglas fir Glasspar used.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88640

good, practical information. Thanks.

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88659

I used spruce for my stringers with a width of one inch using 2 by 4, 6, or 8 lumber ripped to 1 inch. Spruce is stronger then pine and takes epoxy very well. The stringers are tabbed to the hull using biaxial fiberglass tape. This is a fun project. I am 13 months into full restoration of a 1960 G 3. As other people have chimed in, start with your transom first, using 3/8 plus one layer at a time . try to save the transom skins as they will be your guide to getting the proper transom radius,, a nice feature of the G3. Use 5 layers of the plywood to get a very solid transom all glued together with epoxy

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88677

Why is the transom first?

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88712

Because the stock stringers butt-to the transom... just makes it easier to locate them properly

As with SteveK, I replaced the stock transom's four 3/8" plywood layers with five, to make a stronger transom.

I also added another layer of 3/4" plywood over the 1/4" plywood floor, just under the splash well area... and fiberglassed that to the transom making a very stiff structure. And I also glassed in corner gussets between the transom and sides of the boat, because I am not very keen on the fact that the G3 deck is not tied to the transom anywhere.

There are lots of ways to build additional strength into a G3 transom, this is just what I did, because I wanted to never worry about any motor I might hang off the back.

Dean :)

Attachments:

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88720

Do you widen the stringers for their aft four feet for less bottom flex underway?

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 3 months ago #88776

Hi Chris,

Nope, stock dimensions. I should clarify what I said earlier. When I have built boats, I use clear Douglas fir, soaked in thinned poly resin. On my G3 Bandit, my stringers were in fine condition, I did not replace them, but I did go ahead and soak them with thinned poly resin, to seal the wood.

Glasspar (in 1959) did not solidly attach the stringers to the fiberglass hull, or the transom. They were just sitting against the bottom of the boat, patched every few foot or so with a square of glass to hold them in place. They were poorly glued to the plywood floor (the flooring pulled right off the stringers). The were not tied to the transom either.

Stringers in my other fiberglass boats have wood cores built up with thick fiberglass, so the wood acted as a structural core to support the fiberglass shape. My 32' boat has balsa stringer wood (talk about no structural value) surrounded completely by 1/4" of fiberglass (the structural value). My Rayson Craft which is a much more radical, high performance boat than a G3, has no stringers at all, just a dang thick bottom....

Anyway, the stringers on the G3 as built by Glasspar in '59, seemed to be not much more than supports to hold the floor up. Now the floor itself is covered with a good layer of glass and tied to the hull on all edges. This box created by the hull (stringers as spacers) and fiberglassed flooring seems to create the stiffness.

If you are replacing your stringers, I have G3 stringer templates if your stringers are trashed...

Dean

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 2 months ago #89068

Dean,

Thanks for your offer of patterns for G-3 stringers. You can reach me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 518-281-0045

Thanks again,

Chris (seabuddy) Brown

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 2 months ago #89168

Hi Chris,

Happy to lend my patterns to you, you can transfer them to your own patterns or your boards and send them back to me.

Dean

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 2 months ago #89316

OK, when you are ready send them to the address I e-mailed you.

Do you think I need to take the deck off to re-do the stringers and cockpit floor?

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 2 months ago #89333

seabuddy wrote:

OK, when you are ready send them to the address I e-mailed you.

Do you think I need to take the deck off to re-do the stringers and cockpit floor?

Chris:

Dean may advise you otherwise, but yes, I am almost positive you are going to have to remove the deck to replace the stringers, floor and transom. I have not seen it done any other way over the last few years.

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 10 years 2 months ago #89340

Thanks.

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 9 years 10 months ago #95658

Hi Chris,

I am wondering if you're done with my stringer templates? I'd like to keep track of them.

thanks,
Dean

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 6 years 10 months ago #132292

Dean, do you still have the G3 stringer templates?

Re:G-3 stringers repair; spruce,stick fir or plywood 1 year 5 months ago #147355

Dean do you still have the G3 stringer Templates?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)