• Page:

TOPIC: Red light on!

Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110037

• Kelly
  • Kelly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
So yesterday we had a little boat outing in the Puget Sound. Long story short, I made it 5 miles out and suddenly got a flickering to steady red light on the controls and then the horn. I backed off the throttle and looked back to see normal water pump pressure and didn't hear anything unusual and quickly shut her down.

I was running around 20 knots, so not quite WOT but close. I pulled the cowling and did a visual inspection, nothing unusual. I looked for any obstruction/debris, nothing. I decided to gamble and start it up. It idled fine and pumped water fine. It didn't seem hot. I decided to float about for about 20-30 mins to let things "cool" down if it was in fact hot.

I checked the oil and nothing came up on the dipstick :(
I hadn't noticed any leaking and there was no sign off oil out of the exhaust. So after letting it sit I checked again, nothing but residual. So I added a quart and checked it again, this time it showed. So maybe I was about a quart low. Ok.

Started up, no problems except I still had the red light. I decided to limp back to the marina.

When I got home I drained the oil and put fresh oil in. I looked over everything and nothing jumped out at me saying "I'm the problem!"

I admit, I'm not an engine guy. I can do the routine tune up stuff but after that...nope. Unfortunately a great engine mechanic and friend of mine that worked on this F Block passed away earlier this year. He is missed for sure.

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1958 Uniflite>
Crafted in WA state
Powered by Bearcat

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110038

• Kelly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
It's a 1970 but with a '65 cowling.
Attachments:

1958 Uniflite>
Crafted in WA state
Powered by Bearcat

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110129

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Have you started when cold to see if the light is on? If so could be the sensor in the manifold has gone bad. Should be able to check that with an ohm meter. Has the block ever been descaled? Could be rust has broke loose and is causing a restriction. I use an infrared thermometer to check temps on the block and manifold to look for hot spots.

Just reread your post. A quart low and running close to WOT is not a good thing, you only had a quart circulating though the engine. Low point on the dipstick is 1 pt. Warning light and horn also alerts you of low oil pressure. So this may not be an over heating issue but an oil pressure issue. I would pull all the plugs, remove the oil sending unit and put a manual gauge in it's place then crank it over to check what pressure you have. If the pressure is good the sending unit may have gone south. This too can be checked with an ohm meter.
These engines do use some oil and it's best to check them before each outing.

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'57 Evinrude 18 (finally found a decent one)
'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110226

• Kelly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply. After changing the oil I put the boat in our lake and ran it. No light at first, then it came back on.

I haven't descaled the outboard, I have to look into how to do so. As far as running low on oil, I had no idea how they did on oil consumption. Everything I've read never really indicated high oil consumption and is kinda misleading when there's no smoke :blush:

1958 Uniflite>
Crafted in WA state
Powered by Bearcat

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110233

• Kelly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm on the water now and the light didn't come until ten minutes into low power settings. Earlier I cleaned the p-hole <tell tail> and have a solid stream coming out. The stream flickered a few times at idle but was otherwise okay. I don't have a temp gun but there's not any sign of overheating.

1958 Uniflite>
Crafted in WA state
Powered by Bearcat

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110252

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
In the owners manual it states that it is normal if the red light comes on at idle after the engine oil is warm. Meaning if the engine oil is warm the viscosity is lower than when cold, and it is possible at idle speed for the oil pressure to be so low that the sender closes thus allowing the red light to illuminate. If you raise the rpm to say 1000 rpm the light should go out. If it does not go out at elevated rpm then that indicates a problem. The problem can be in the warning light circuit or the engine itself. What weight oil are you running?

The warning light circuit basically consists of a light with 12vdc on one side of the bulb, and the other side of light gets grounded by either the oil pressure sender near the filter or the temp sender in the exh elbow. The oil pressure sender is a switch that is normally closed, it opens with oil pressure. That's why the light is on if you turn ignition on but don't start the engine. Once started, the oil pressure should open the switch thus shutting off the light. So, light on = closed oil pressure switch= low oil pressure. Light off = open oil press sw = normal oil pressure.
THe temp sender is normally open when cold, closes with elevated temperature, thus illuminating the warning light.

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110259

• Kelly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the info. Ron had me running straight 30w oil. Currently I'm running 10-30w. I'm doing some more test today. I'll check the switches but my concern is there's a rise in either pressure or temp when running. If the light isn't on when I first put the boat in the water, then comes on around 10 mins into it (happened now twice) wouldn't that suggest either a temp or pressure problem? I'm not second guessing and won't rule out anything, I really do hope it's a switch.

1958 Uniflite>
Crafted in WA state
Powered by Bearcat

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110261

• Kelly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I pulled the wires off of the oil pressure switch and had continuity. I started the outboard with the wires disconnected and still had continuity. I'm going to try and find a switch...

1958 Uniflite>
Crafted in WA state
Powered by Bearcat

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110262

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Kelly wrote:

Thanks for the info. Ron had me running straight 30w oil. Currently I'm running 10-30w. I'm doing some more test today. I'll check the switches but my concern is there's a rise in either pressure or temp when running. If the light isn't on when I first put the boat in the water, then comes on around 10 mins into it (happened now twice) wouldn't that suggest either a temp or pressure problem? I'm not second guessing and won't rule out anything, I really do hope it's a switch.

I run straight 30w in all of mine, Delo 400, an oil with enough zinc for wear protection. Ask Helmar about Delo 400. You'll have a rise in temp or a DROP in oil pressure that triggers the red light. Personally I would put a gauge in place of the sender and insulate the sender connection, run it and see if the light comes back on and if so see what kind of pressure it has. If the light does come back on it will be a cooling issue as the oil sender is disconnected. If the light stays out and oil pressure is good I'd say the oil sender is defective. They say it takes 7 lbs of pressure to float a bearing, meaning you have a cushion of oil between the metal surfaces, under 7 lbs you are metal to metal contact. I don't know what the sender pressure is set at, I'll see if I can check one of mine. You need to isolate which one of the senders is setting off the light so you can address which system needs troubleshooting.

Check out the pictures of my first Bearcat tear down, look at the rust scale built up in the water jacket. This is what we mean by descaling the block. www.classicboatclub.com/showthread.php/857-Bearcat-1-Teardown

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110263

• Kelly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks again for your assist. I don't have a gauge to put in place of the switch, do you have a part # for a gauge so I can find one? Local parts store?
I'm also looking for a part # for a oil press. switch...do you have that easily available?

1958 Uniflite>
Crafted in WA state
Powered by Bearcat

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110264

• Kelly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I've looked all over for a pressure switch part number, no luck. Ron had installed a new one when he was building my Cat, but I have no idea where he got it.
Anyone know what a suitable substitute part number is?

1958 Uniflite>
Crafted in WA state
Powered by Bearcat

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110278

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
The gauge I used was intended for air but works fine. I'll have to get at one of mine to see what pitch thread, it's either 1/8 NPT or 1/4 NPT. Not sure which direction to point you to find one. Bill or Ed may have the sender, if we knew for sure the activation pressure something I'm sure could be found in auto parts store. I'll see what I can dig up within the next day or so.

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110281

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I believe you are right Dick, most sending units for "idiot lights" are set to come on at or below 8 psi if I'm not mistaken.

Excellent advice on the oil pressure gauge, and most line kits (for hooking the gauge up) have several different thread adapters in the kit. Available at and auto parts store for $25-$45. You can also pickup a "T" to run the gauge and the light at the same time if you'd like, I think that would be my preference.

PS - Please pardon my butting in here, too much coffee I guess! ;)

Mark

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110283

• Kelly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks guys, and by all means anyone and everyone is welcome in this thread =)

I have misplaced my Bearcat manual since we moved last summer. I thought maybe it would have the exact oil pressure range for the switch. Everything I could find here and a few other forums the range was pretty large, 10-40 psi. The parts stores had several lower range switches but I wanted to be exact. Do I only need to worry about the minimum?

Interesting note. I pulled the switch to take to the parts store and when I came back empty handed I decided to wipe it out, re-install it, and give it a whirl. When I first started the Cat the light was on immediately. I decided to go put it on the trailer and halfway back to the ramp the light went off (3 mins of run time). So I decided to try different throttle settings and see what happens. I got up to about 3/4 throttle and backed off and the light came back on and stayed on. Hmmm....

1958 Uniflite>
Crafted in WA state
Powered by Bearcat

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110302

• 4stroke
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Went out to the garage and pulled two senders, they are 1/8 NPT thread. Tested them the best I could as the air compressor guage is vague down that low. My best guess is one switch activated at 8lbs and the other slightly higher at 10lbs. I also noticed I had two wires on the sender so if you disconnect the sender those two wire need to be hooked to together so the temp sender will still work.

Kelly you still need to isolate which problem is causing the light to come on. If it's oil related you can be doing some serious damage by running it. That's not to say overheating won't cause damage either but it's the lesser of two evils. Myself I'd be trying to locate a gauge. You can see the one I have mounted in this video:

You can't read it but when I start it it's 25 to 30 lbs and when I rev it I get 45 to 50 lbs. Don't ask me where I got the gauge as it's been as round for over 50 years!

One thing you could try without having a gauge, disconnect the two wires from the oil sender, connect them together with a third wire, on the end of the third wire attach an alligator clip. Hook the clip to the sender. Now when you run it if the light is on you can unhook the clip from the sender. Light out you have an oil pressure problem, light still on heating problem. That way I or others can help with the root of "the" problem and not two different problems causing the light to come on.

MarkS feel free to butt in anytime! :laugh:

Dick Johnson

1989 16ft Sylvan

'58 Johnson 5.5
'72 Johnson 6.0
'61 Homelite
'64 Johnson 18
'65 Homelite 55
'66 Homelite 55
'68 Bearcat 55 (3)
'70 Bearcat 55 (2)
'71 Bearcat 85 (Sold)

Re:Red light on! 8 years 10 months ago #110304

• Kelly
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Good stuff, thanks for posting. I did the wire test yesterday with the light (sorry forgot to mention) and it's definitely oil pressure related...whether it's actually oil flow or indication is what I'm trying to now figure out. Do you have a manual that shows a pressure range?

1958 Uniflite>
Crafted in WA state