• Page:

TOPIC: Homelite/Bearcat gearcase

Homelite/Bearcat gearcase 10 years 4 months ago #87176

• rickrodt
  • rickrodt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am wondering of the gear case from a 1965 Homelite will fit a 1970 Bearcat. My 1970 Bearcat has some damage to the skeg and I know where I can get a replacement with gears and shaft but it comes off of a 1965 model. Will the gear/clutch dogs from the 1970 fit the 1965 gear case?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Homelite/Bearcat gearcase 10 years 4 months ago #87177

• sabot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ask 4 stroke on fiberglassics He has a home page called vintage motors
Sabot on fiberglassics.

Re:Homelite/Bearcat gearcase 10 years 4 months ago #87195

Here is his site which might be helpful:

home.comcast.net/~273cl72/site/?/page/Homelite%2F_Bearcat_Lower_Unit_/&PHPSESSID=3fd3b744573dae28f66b601c2e8bbe44

Also, here's some info from Scott Stewart's site:

'The 1961-1965 models have a splined driveshaft on both ends. In 1966 the lower end of the driveshaft was changed to accommodate a threaded drive pinion. This change did not effect the gear ratio. While the individual parts are not interchangeable, the entire lower units are, as long as they are switched as complete units. Several different bearing designs were used in the lower unit over the years also'.

GL,
WizardIII

Re:Homelite/Bearcat gearcase 10 years 4 months ago #87199

• billr
if you swap the entire lower unit assy, meaning driveshaft/lower leg/gearcase, you will be fine. With the possible exception if the replacement assembly has the water pump housing with a return line AND and a feed line, swap your single tube water pump housing to the new assy and install on your motor.

Re:Homelite/Bearcat gearcase 10 years 4 months ago #87242

• rickrodt
  • rickrodt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the information. There is a complete foot on EBay for $125.00 but it is from a 1965 Homelite. My skeg is ground off up close to the body but the gears/shafts and clutch dog are good, so I think I will tear it down and get a new skeg welded on, then reseal it.

Re:Homelite/Bearcat gearcase 10 years 3 months ago #87550

Does anyone have the cross over after market part number for the 90439 prop shaft seals? Was told it was CR 3702 but don't know brand, Google can't find the number.

Re:Homelite/Bearcat gearcase 10 years 3 months ago #87903

The "CR" prefix in the part number denotes Chicago Rawhide. As a caution, unless the seal shells are made of brass or stainless, they are going to rust. Some years ago, I did a lot of research to locate marine seals for these engines. I can't find my parts list right now, but if I do, I will post it here. I believe the drive shaft seals from an OMC Big Twin 35 & 40 up to about 1968 will work on the homie/bearcat - and those have stainless shells. Then, I recall that the propshaft seal was from a late model Mercury 50 Big Foot lower unit. Don't hold me to that though. I did a friend's Bearcat with these seals over 10 years ago, and it is still sealed tight - and it sits on a patio boat 8 months out of the year.

Re:Homelite/Bearcat gearcase 10 years 3 months ago #88032

Thanks!!!! Very helpful.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5939 guests and one member online