Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A place to discuss the problems/solutions and peculiarities of inboard engine installations, operation and trouble-shooting. Covering all types of inboard engines..Ford, Chevy, Chrysler and AMC based, flatheads and all types of inboard transmissions.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Arena Craft- Velvet Drive transmission cooler

Arena Craft- Velvet Drive transmission cooler 2 years 1 week ago #146482

Hello,

I have a 1967 Arena Craft Bonito with an Interceptor V8 (Ford FE 352ci) and a Velvet-Drive transmission (I think its a 1:1 71c model).

I believe the transmission oil cooler is compromised, as I went to apply city water pressure prior to engine startup (via garden hose directly to the intake hose) and transmission fluid started to push through the transmission breather. First time putting water through the system since 2018 (the boat has sat with a broke prop shaft for the last few years).

I've blown most of the transmission's fluid contents out (applying air pressure to to the top line and forcing fluid out the lower-most line) and am seeking a replacement oil cooler. There doesn't appear to be anything on the market resembling the original oil cooler. Is there any reason why I can't simply source a modern replacement with similar inlet/outlet sizes and similar, exterior dimensions? Or are there other factors to consider?

I'm hoping that any residual water in the transmission can be removed by flushing the transmission multiple times. I am gearing up to part with the boat and have no interest in removing major components for repair, after already paying to have the new propeller shaft installed.

Thank you!

Dan
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: kensikoraNautilus
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6114 guests and one member online