TOPIC: Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors

Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #11757

• 59Banshee
  • 59Banshee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all!
I have an early sixties? Evinrude Simplex forward control and cables etc for twin motors off a boat I just bought, but I will be fitting it to a boat that only requires a single control, so I have two questions..........
1. Can I modify this controller to suit only the one motor?
2. are these rare or hard to come by, ie would I be better off selling this one to someone needing a twin motor set up and buying a single one?

Cheers Matt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Restoration project - 1959 Bellboy Banshee with 1960 Evinrude Starflite 75hp

Re: Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #11773

These are very desirable and will bring a good price. I'm looking for one myself.

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #11776

Yes, they are relatively hard to come by. I've seen them go for a couple hundred on e-bay. I'd sell that one & by a single. Do you have the twin start plate? They're also hard to come by.
Cheers
Bill
Attachments:

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #11800

Well on second thought you could pull the center section out to make it a single, & sell it separately
Attachments:

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #11820

• 59Banshee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Guys,
Bill - I will have to get a picture of the start plates, on the dash of the boat were two key switches on Evinrude plates and two "engine hot" lights, so four separate plates - hard to describe - will get pictures.

I thought it may be possible - looking at them - to remove the middle plate and two of the levers, but then if they are rare it makes one less for anyone else to be able to use on their boat, I would rather help someone out with a twin set up than rip it apart and loose another one for ever.

if anyone has a single and would like to do a deal on this one send me a message.
Matt

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #11821

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Matt wrote:

I thought it may be possible - looking at them - to remove the middle plate and two of the levers, but then if they are rare it makes one less for anyone else to be able to use on their boat, I would rather help someone out with a twin set up than rip it apart and loose another one for ever.

Very commendable perspective and attitude Matt, kudos to you.
I think what Bill is saying is convert your set-up to a single, then offer the spare parts left over for sale so someone else can convert their single to a dual. (That way another dual set-up can be constructed from those parts, think of it as a transplant if you will.) Either way, swapping or converting, you've got what you want and someone else can also benefit from your consideration. THAT'S the spirit that keeps this endeavor of ours alive and well, never discard anything someone else may be able to make good use of.

Mark

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #11831

• 59Banshee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Mark that makes sense!

That being the case, which levers are the ones I need to keep? and I imagine if I split the housing I just remove everything between the two boards, and a couple of levers and screw it back together again?

IF it is as simple as that I will do it this weekend and hopefully be able to help out some one in need with the parts I do not need.

Matt

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #11841

• 59Banshee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
:( :(
I have just heard on very good authority that 3 of the 4 levers for the dual set up I have are unique to the dual controls and even if I pull it apart and split the centre out - the levers will be incorrect for single engine use, so it looks like I am on the look out for a single control of the same style as this one, and this one will be for sale as soon as I find one.

Thanks to all for your input and feedback

Matt

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #11850

I have few extras control shifter and was going to offer it to you. But then I looked were you live. Im in Nevada USA. It free if you want it. Just pay for the postage.
I only have 2 boat so dont need the shifter. They were free to me so the same to you.
Mike aka pathfinderz1
PS
When you sell the duel setup you can afford the postage

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #11867

59Banshee wrote:

:( :(
I have just heard on very good authority that 3 of the 4 levers for the dual set up I have are unique to the dual controls and even if I pull it apart and split the centre out - the levers will be incorrect for single engine use, so it looks like I am on the look out for a single control of the same style as this one, and this one will be for sale as soon as I find one.

Thanks to all for your input and feedback

Matt

Well, whoever told you that knew what they were talking about.
They look the same from the outside, but when you disassemble the unit, they are different.
I stand corrected.
Cheers
Bill
Attachments:

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #11942

• 59Banshee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Mike - have sent email

Handy Andy - have sent email

barnickelbill - posting pictures of Start plates for this boat, I will not be using them so if anyone needs / wants them let me know - (not sure if they are worth anything or not) - but they are yours for postage costs.

Matt
(59Banshee)

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #12047

Matt you shifter is on it way sent it US post snail mail. So don't know how long it will take.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #12050

• 59Banshee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Mike, likewise your new key plates and overheat lights are in transit as we speak, I sent them via Aussie Post, so should get here before the boat is finished - hopefully! LOL

Matt
(59Banshee)

Re:Evinrude Simplex forward controls for twin motors 13 years 9 months ago #12052

• 59Banshee
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I just wanted to say a HUGE thanks to all the forum users and especially Mike (Pathfinderz1) everyone has gone out of their way to help and the exchange of parts has ensured that people that are truly interested in making sure these great old Fibreglassics are out and about to be used and enjoyed for may years yet!
I know (having too many projects on the go) it is with help like this it makes it all affordable and practicable to those of us without mega bucks for restorations to restore and enjoy these classics.

Hats off to the members to Fibreglassics
Matt

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'