• Page:

TOPIC: interchangeable cowling

interchangeable cowling 2 years 1 month ago #146263

• Fatlenny
  • Fatlenny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
What years and models have an interchangeable cowling that will fit a 1971 Johnson 50? It seems like I have seen mid 80s Evinrudes with hoods that look like it would be a direct fit. I feel a quick purchase will be much better than the work it will take to strip this crud off.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

interchangeable cowling 2 years 1 month ago #146265

Lots of years will fit it.
To make sure use marineengine.com and take a look at the motor pan the cowling fits on to. Grab that part number and see how many years it fits. Same with the cowling.

interchangeable cowling 2 years 1 month ago #146268

• Fatlenny
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Im not finding anything helpful there as the 1971 part number is obsolete, it doesnt reference what will fit as a replacement. Unless I am misunderstanding your directions.

interchangeable cowling 2 years 1 month ago #146269

Look at the big casting that you attach the motor cover to.
Part is #37 on 1971 through 1973. That is as far as I looked for you. If that pan is the same the cowl will be the same.

interchangeable cowling 2 years 1 month ago #146300

• Fatlenny
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Sincere thanks for your efforts to help me Pappy. I am just having a difficult time searching in the way you are suggesting. I guess I thought my question might have been a simple one. Maybe it was as simple as only 71 - 73 fit. I assumed there was a much wider range of motor covers that may be a bit different on the upper portion that had the same footprint. I also figured that the pans may have changed part numbers over the years as some changes made, like a pee hole added, changes where the control cables come in but maybe still have the same foot print as well. I am not necessarily looking for a proper cover for my 1971 to keep it era correct, Just one that fits properly that is not all beat up and looks like a child painted it.

interchangeable cowling 2 years 1 month ago #146305

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
these guys will have one for you....for sure.
Just south of ya.
greenbayprop.com/

interchangeable cowling 2 years 4 weeks ago #146306

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I know this is a bit of a strange question, but does the 3 cylinder hoods of the 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 fit that same pan of the 2 cylinders? I know it is not really for that motor, but I always thought that 3 cylinder hood looked sweet and it always appeared the lowers of not the 2 and 3 cylinders looked very close to same. Could give you more options and fake people out… maybe you would like the look or maybe not… that is all your decision. I was just hoping Pappy and 63 Sabre could shed some light on this as another possible crazy option for you… imagine painting the Stinger decal on it… pretty cool looking hoods and colors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fatlenny

Dr.Go!

interchangeable cowling 2 years 4 weeks ago #146307

• Fatlenny
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
DING DING DING, YOU GET IT, YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM ASKING. Not a strange question, It is along the same idea of question I was getting at. I like the looks of some of the other hoods that looks like it might fit. hopefully someone will know the answers to this.

interchangeable cowling 2 years 3 weeks ago #146308

• Fatlenny
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Dr. Go, is it winter blues that no one is on here or what? I mean 2 months ago there would be 20 comments by now. And it was winter then. I mean Johnson/Evinrude has to be one of the one of the top 3 most common outboard motors out there for classic boats. someone should know the answer to our questions

interchangeable cowling 2 years 3 weeks ago #146309

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
This does seem to be the annual slow down on here. For me it is my busiest at work… last year I was organized enough to get 60 trailer parts powder coated and had all my materials lined up so I brought axles and other small parts into the basement to re-do bearings, races, smaller part assembly so when it got a bit warmer I suited up and started rebuilding in the garage before all the snow melted… this year I can’t seem to get time except being on here between 10 and midnight just to keep learning and trying to help with what tiny bit of knowledge I may have. Everyone’s season is different… some may be out fishing or boating where the water isn’t 3 foot thick with ice lol … Or maybe ice fishing?? Hopefully the experts will stop by to see if outstanding questions can be answered. Maybe if you look up and call Twin City Outboards in Minnesota, they should be able to answer your question over the phone. I visited there over a decade ago and they have hundreds and hundreds of salvage outboards, Inboard outboard lower units and tons of other salvage parts… and that Green Bay prop like 63 Sabre mentioned looks like a good source… it’s practically in his back yard and I believe he has been a customer more than once. I would also think Michigan would have many places like this… also maybe look up one of the outboard motor chapters in your area and state… though many may have the Johnson info. Ask to 1922, I would think some would be experts with your question. Seems there are just tons of those motors out there in a salvage heaven somewhere closer to you. Maybe even find a summer show near you with older boats and maybe you find an expert right there or even a hood to measure??? Just tossing thoughts out there. When I see the side view of your boat, I am visualizing one of those stinger 3 cylinder hoods looking pretty cool. Who cares if there is a 2 cylinder under the hood if it fits… it’s not like you have to go 70mph to LOOK like you are going 70!

Dr.Go!

interchangeable cowling 2 years 3 weeks ago #146319

Lenny I am sorry for not knowing the exact answer for you. I have a great knowledge base on these engines but you are asking me to go back 50 years and remember what the changes were and when they happened.
The answer to the 3-cyl question is yes they will..

interchangeable cowling 2 years 3 weeks ago #146322

• Fatlenny
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Don't be sorry Pappy, I appreciate you sharing the information you did. Its not like I am mad that it is not a simple answer or that I really have a great one. It is what it is. Thanks!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)