Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1964 Evinrude 60 - flush attachment

1964 Evinrude 60 - flush attachment 2 years 3 weeks ago #146408

I have spent several hours researching how to flush out my engine w/o using a trash can full of water. I have a 1964 Evinrude 60 HP model# 60453 S. I found a manual for models up to 60452 (naturally) and it just does not seem close enough. Is it possible that the hole in the outdrive which is circled in the first photo is the water intake? It seems like Johnson/Evinrude made a "flush attachment" but I can't find anything that specifically calls out my model #. I really don't see any other way for intake but it seems like a really small intake hole.
Any ideas?
JES
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1964 Evinrude 60 - flush attachment 2 years 3 weeks ago #146409

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Actually the water intake is in what you'd normally call the "trim tab" at the rear of the lower unit, under the anti-ventilation plate.

You'll find a screen over the water inlet. OMC and Tempo made a flusher with "wings" that fastened to the top of the anti-ventilation plate, with another section that wrapped around the water inlet and sealed with foam, with water applied to the center of that. You'd hook your garden hose to the flusher and away you go.

I've attached a pic of a typical intake, and every once-in-a-while you run across a flusher on ebay and elsewhere.

This guy has a lot of good OMC in at his site, and if you scroll down towards the bottom he has a good writeup on flushers:

www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_QD.htm

HTH...............ed
Attachments:

1964 Evinrude 60 - flush attachment 2 years 2 weeks ago #146414

Thanks for the reply. The article in the link was very helpful.

1964 Evinrude 60 - flush attachment 2 years 2 weeks ago #146417

I made my own out of aluminum.

Bob
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6426 guests and no members online