Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1956 evinrude 30 horse carb adjustments

1956 evinrude 30 horse carb adjustments 13 years 11 months ago #7789

I just got a 56 30 horse big twin.I took it out for the first time and if I had the hi speed out 2 turns and the lo speed 1 1/2 out it would start good but didnt accelerate it stayed at just above idle.then I turned the high speed over a turn in and it ran good at high speeds but if it idled for any time it would pop and die then wouldn't start till I readjusted high speed back out.Are these adjustments something you can set and forget or do you have to adjust for what speed you want to do best at?

does anybody have step by step instructions on this I searched and didn't find an answer.

thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1956 evinrude 30 horse carb adjustments 13 years 10 months ago #7974

you have the low speed needle right at 1 1/2 turns to 2 1 1/2 out from lighly setted but the high should on be a 1/2 out to start with. Now that should get the motor running leave the high speed alone with that setting till you can get the boat out on the water thene have someone drive the boat and slowly give it gas to full throttle then adjust the high speed till you get the highist rmp then a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn out more. If the carb is clean the should have you all set. If it coughs at iddle turn it out a half turn till it runs smooth at iddle.
Hope that helps
Mike aka pathfinderz1
PS
I have 6 or so of the big twins just like that only differance is some with more hp and some years differnt

Re:1956 evinrude 30 horse carb adjustments 13 years 10 months ago #8039

thanks

Re:1956 evinrude 30 horse carb adjustments 13 years 10 months ago #8284

Actually, the high speed might be better off at 1 full turn out to start with. I find they end up being around 3/4 turn once set.

Low speed usually ends up around 1-1/2 turns or so. Your description sounds like you may have a partial blockage in your low speed circuit. If you haven't, it is time to disassemble the carb and thoroughly clean it. Installation of a modern ethanol-resistant carb kit is also recommended.

- Scott

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)