Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Wizard boat and 12hp Elgin outboard motor

Wizard boat and 12hp Elgin outboard motor 3 years 2 months ago #143984

Hello fellow boaters, I have been gifted a wizard boat and the outboard motor that has been in the garage for over 35 years. I found the placard on the boat and have been doing a lot research on this boat but there is very limited information. That is why I am here.
From what I was told it was repainted with my father in laws name on the side. I have attached a picture of the placard and the boat.
If anyone has any information about this boat I would really appreciate it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wizard boat and 12hp Elgin outboard motor 3 years 2 months ago #143986

The following user(s) said Thank You: Fergchi

Wizard boat and 12hp Elgin outboard motor 3 years 2 months ago #143995

Wizard Boats of Costa Mesa, CA was one of the earliest buildings of reinforced plastic boats in the world. There has been a great deal written about them. There are several chapters about Wizard in a book about the history of fiberglass boats. Can't recall the author or book title. Check the Glassic Library here. Wizard opened branch boat factories in Michigan and Dickson, TN. The Tennessee plant eventually split off on its own and bought Winner Boats. They ultimately abandoned the "Wizard" name and adopted the "Winner" name. Wizard at Costa Mesa was gone by the early 1960s.

Andreas

Wizard boat and 12hp Elgin outboard motor 3 years 2 months ago #143997

This image is from January 1949. The title of the book that Andreas is talking about is "Heart of Glass" by Daniel Spurr. It covers Wizard very well, but is primarily about sail boats.

Lee

Attachments:

Wizard boat and 12hp Elgin outboard motor 3 years 1 month ago #144041

Hello Fergchi and welcome to Fiberglassics.

That is a cool little boat. Looks very original and the Gregory font is beautiful. You should just clean it up and go fishing. And please take some more pictures while you have it out.

Wizard has a great history and since the boat was in your family it must have come with a few stories.

When I first read your post I thought there was some connection between Wizard Boats and Glasspar histories.
According to this, Otto E. Bayer of Wizard Boats worked with Bill Tritt building his first boats in 1947. And Tritt subsequently founded Glasspar.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Tritt
www.wikiwand.com/en/Glasspar

But there is no mention of Bayer in the Wizard history.
www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Wizard_(California)

Looking further, Curt Herberts at Wizard was approached by John Green to build a racing sailboat. Herberts wasn’t interested in the project but his fiberglass foreman Otto Bayer overheard the conversation.
Bayer approached John Greene and discussed taking on the job on the side and ended up working with Bill Tritt to produce a 21’ sloop The Green Dolphin.

Looks like Bayer jumped ship. The Glasspar history here mentions Otto Bayer retiring in 59 and was listed as a founder, director and officer of Glasspar.
www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Glasspar

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6978 guests and one member online