• Page:

TOPIC: New member with Bell Boy 15

New member with Bell Boy 15 3 years 1 day ago #144195

• jakec
  • jakec's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I just got home from buying this boat after searching for about 6 months. I wanted a cabin cruiser and didn't really care which make it was. I am happy with this one because it's a little beat up but has a good motor and good galvanized trailer. I plan to just use it to have fun out on the water and didn't want to care about the cosmetic condition.

Some things I want to do to the boat are:

Get some vintage controls that match the age of the boat and the outbaord

Get a bench for the rear of the cockpit

Put down some carpet in the cockpit

Make cushions in the cabin

Clean & remove bad wiring and fix things (nothing works except engine, no lights etc)

It does have the windshield but it is broken in two pieces so I will just tape it together most likely (unless there is a known fix)

These are the pics from the ad since I got home at night.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member with Bell Boy 15 3 years 17 hours ago #144196

Wow nice find! The motor is much newer than the boat so it depends on what you're really looking to match, the boat or the motor. I'm not as familiar with the 70s motors but I don't think a vintage wiring harness will fit the motor so that will have to stay you could switch the steering control but I think you'll find what you have is much better control wise than what was original. Just my 2 cents, other folks smarter than me can chime in.

Bob

New member with Bell Boy 15 3 years 13 hours ago #144198

• jakec
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the response. I see what you mean about the controls. I would be nice to have a cool wheel though, since the one I have now is plastic. I assumed that you could just take the wheel off and install a different one, like a car. And it wouldn't affect the mechanism.

New member with Bell Boy 15 3 years 13 hours ago #144199

• jakec
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Also I tried searching 1960 bell boy 15 and haven't been able to find a pic of a boat like mine. I would like to find some pics of boats that are more original so I can see what i'm missing. For example there are holes in the forward deck hatch, like something used to be attached. Also I have no horn and no rear light mast.

New member with Bell Boy 15 3 years 8 hours ago #144201

• davidk
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Very cool! Congratulations. I'd like to see more photos of the seats when you get a chance.

New member with Bell Boy 15 2 years 11 months ago #144207

If you are having trouble searching for your particular boat, it might be a Bell Boy 265 Express Cruiser?
Attachments:

New member with Bell Boy 15 2 years 11 months ago #144208

• jakec
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow, thanks! looks like I must have the 16 model they reference. However my title says 15.

New member with Bell Boy 15 2 years 11 months ago #144209

• jakec
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Do I need to repair marks like this on the keel before I put the boat in the water? or is this no big deal? Thank you
Attachments:

New member with Bell Boy 15 2 years 11 months ago #144211

From everything I have been seeing on this site, Bell Boys are nice boats and it would be worth your while to spend some time on it. As for the keel, if it is just in the gel coat and not into the wood it is not of immediate importance but should be addressed soon. As for the registration, back then a lot of boats were miss tagged for one reason or another as in the year, ect. My boat is a 1959 17' Thompson Sea Lancer, but is registered as a 1962 18'. The motor that was on it when I bought it was a 1963 Merc 850, so I think it was sold new in 1962 or 63 after sitting unsold for a couple years. I didn't see any marks or holes that say it ever had anything different on it. I don't think they kept too close track on the details, and I don't think it makes much difference except to us that really want to know what we have.
Bill

New member with Bell Boy 15 2 years 11 months ago #144213

• jakec
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I will get some gelcoat repair and fill them in this weekend before taking it out.

I also am thinking about how to build the bench.. I think I can epoxy two board to the hull at either side, with a leg in the middle? And epoxy a board to the back to screw the backrest into.

New member with Bell Boy 15 2 years 11 months ago #144246

• jakec
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I had the boat out for the first time this weekend after doing the gelcoat repair. No problems!

New member with Bell Boy 15 2 years 11 months ago #144257

THAT'S a great looking boat!

New member with Bell Boy 15 2 years 11 months ago #144417

• jakec
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I have removed a board that was hiding a large crack in the floor. I fiberglassed the crack and epoxied the entire floor in preparation to lay down some carpet. I believe the floor construction is fiberglass with a thin wood veneer, based on what I saw while sanding. I also re did the console that holds the throttle, and managed wiring. The steering cable is too long so it's not possible to mount it straight. I also created new doors for the rear compartment. Hopefully they will hold up ok. I epoxied the edges and the rest is just paint. I installed a bilge pump for when the boat is at the marina this summer. And I installed a new horn. Finally I have got some adhesive automotive "chrome" trim for the windshield. I should be able to install that soon. I will be buying a second 6 gallon tank and making some cushions fo the cabin later on.

New member with Bell Boy 15 2 years 10 months ago #144603

That’s a nice little boat you got there. They really did fit a lot into these boats. Where is that at? That looks like a nice little beach and the backdrop is very scenic

New member with Bell Boy 15 2 years 10 months ago #144606

• jakec
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
This is in Gig Harbor WA. Where are you located? It seems that these boats show up for sale more often in places like CA or FL. They seem to be rare in WA even though some of them were built here.

New member with Bell Boy 15 2 years 10 months ago #144613

I’m in Manahawkin, New Jersey. I believe mine spent most of its life in upstate NY. I picked it up in South Jersey. It was kept there for the last year, as a summer house cruiser for a family from PA.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)