Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Referral for hull restoration and repowering

Referral for hull restoration and repowering 2 years 6 months ago #145372

I have a 1963 MFG Westfield in Lovell, Maine (Kezar Lake). I’m looking for someone to do some restoration work on the hull, possibly as extensive as removing the cockpit floor to get rid of the saturated foam. Does anyone know anyone in New England (VT, NH, ME, or MA) that might take on a project like this?

At the risk of being accused of heresy, I’ll also mention that I’m looking at repowering with a new or late model engine. My 63 Evinrude Lark w/ electric shift gave up the ghost today (does not shift) and I’m not much interested taking on the quest to get that sorted out. I love the boat (was my dad’s) and will invest to save it, but I’m not mechanical and would prefer to have clean, quiet, and reliable modern power. It would be great to find someone experienced with installing new motors on old boats, dealing with the steering etc.

Thanks,
Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Referral for hull restoration and repowering 2 years 6 months ago #145377

You did not mention brands of new engines when you posted. Do your homework and find a dealer in your area with a good reputation for taking care of his customers and choose one of his brands. That dealer will take care of you after the sale.
Not every dealer is a "Loose" engine dealer, meaning that most dealers these days purchase boat/engine combinations and do not have the ability to purchase engines in the box for installations such as yours. Again, check around.
Your installation is a super easy one! If you were down here in Central Florida I would do it.
Now. Before you have the engine install done make sure you get your boat work done. What transom height do you currently have? If it is not a 20' transom it will need to be. If you are going as far as pulling the floor then you may as well do the transom and know you have a good boat that will serve you well. Good luck!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)