• Page:

TOPIC: Outboard weight

Outboard weight 1 year 10 months ago #146574

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
On average, what's the weight of a vintage 100 HP Evinrude, Johnson outboard? Anybody know?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Outboard weight 1 year 10 months ago #146576

Good morning Jan, Im wondering if I am loosing my mind because I swear I saw this same question asked and answered in a different section last night before I went to bed. What I have found on the motors I have looked at vary around 250-300 +/-. I cant imagine one being much more than 300 unless we are looking at a cast iron parts.

what years are you thinking or year of boat your are looking for an outboard for? I have seen some large differences in weights based on years. I have also seen many conversations on line debating what years are considered classic, vintage, or antique.

Im curious If your getting into the outboard game or is it you have a project for a customer your working on.

Outboard weight 1 year 10 months ago #146579

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I missed the reply to the question I posted in the "projects" section.

I have a 1958 Glasspar Del Mar. I'm toying with the idea of converting it to a two-passenger "coupe" powered by an odd-fire Buick V6 stern drive. I needed the weight of a 100 HP outboard in order to subtract it from the weight of the V6 set-up to see if the idea is going to work.

I figure the V6 sterndrive needs to weigh no more than a 100 HP outboard plus 300 lbs of people in the rear seat. So now I know that's about 550 lbs. Some ballast in the bow and a lot of floatation on either side of the engine should do it.

Attachments:

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Outboard weight 1 year 10 months ago #146582

Im not sure of the ratio but I am sure the weight of the outboard is going to actually "feel" like more as it hangs off the transom, so there would be some leverage effect there. without that, I would think that you could actually go a bit more weight if making an inboard due to the fact that the weight hanging out past the transom is different. so shouldnt you be just trying to keep the center of gravity about the same place and the rest will work out?

If i am thinking about this right, you should get the weight of the stern drive unit, Im just going to throw numbers out here for fun. lets say an old 100hp weighs 300lbs, your stern drive weights 150. now you have 150lbs less hanging over the ass of the boat. 2 passengers = 300lbs (I wish) but your Buick weighs in at 450. (again I am just throwing numbers out there, I dont know what your old motor weighs) You might think you are dead even because you had 150 lighter hanging off the back when in truth, with my fake numbers you probably would have more room for weight in the motor area because there is not the leverage of the extra weight hanging off the back. I dont think you would need a ballast.

Am I making any since? I makes sense in my head LOL.

Outboard weight 1 year 9 months ago #146723

My 1991 Johnson 90HP V4 is 311lbs.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)