Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Rear trim on seafair not fitting against splashwel

Rear trim on seafair not fitting against splashwel 1 year 10 months ago #146601

Finally putting the boat back together and running into an issue I anticipated. The back of my splashwell, pulled solidly a gain at transom, still has around 1/2-3/4 gap between it and rear trim piece. When assembled the boat last time I just used caulk and some rubber to make it work, but I’m really trying to find better solutions.
The best thing I can think of is some kind of wood strip thing, though I don’t see how I would accommodate the curve

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rear trim on seafair not fitting against splashwel 1 year 10 months ago #146604

That's strange...it's almost like your splashwell isn't back far enough. Is your transom thicker than stock?

Eric

Rear trim on seafair not fitting against splashwel 1 year 10 months ago #146607

I agree. It’s been a minute, but I’m pretty sure I stayed with the 1 1-2 transom. The only thing I can think of is that the splashwell came from a later model(early 60’s) seafair and that accounts for the disparity. The tub just didn’t work for me. I now have a tank under the splashwell and behind the seats.

Last time I took some rubber hose, using it as a thick gasket. It worked fine, but trying to look at all solution possibilities

Rear trim on seafair not fitting against splashwel 1 year 10 months ago #146616

What year is your Seafair? That's not a '59 splashwell.

Rear trim on seafair not fitting against splashwel 1 year 10 months ago #146617

That is correct. The 59 has the bathtub splashwell. I put an early 60s in. There is a gas tank under it. The old style just didn’t work space wise.
I’m thinking the most elegant solution will be to put smal strips of mahogany contoured to the shape. I’ve just started roughing some plywood in for shape and will cut some mahogany once I get it right

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)