Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147464

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1964 Evinrude "Sweet 16 with a V4, 88HP engine and an OMC stern drive. I am getting "cold feet" about the purchase as I am hearing that the parts for this engine and stern drive are very difficult to find. While the purchase price is relatively cheap, I don't want to invest in something I might have to eventually haul to the dump. Additionally, it hasn't been in the water for approximately 7 years and I have to believe that it was in salt water. I would appreciate any advice anyone is willing to lend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147465

The engine isn't as bad as its reputation. I've had one for 26 years without any unusual issues. Parts are out there but certainly not on every street corner either.

According to the promotional brochures for the hull, it has fiberglass stringers so they should be OK but the foam may be wet/waterlogged (and probably is unless the boat is pristine).

I have a '67 Sportsman (open bow model, same hull). By '67, the stringers were wood and they were wet/rotten. I replaced the rear portions, added a centerline stringer, new foam and floor. Boat is strong and doesn't ride too bad.

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147466

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Are you planning a restoration or just something that looks cool and drivable.
Like jimandros said the engine parts are out there, internals are available on marineengine.com. There are also boat boneyards that would have what you need. greenbayprop.com would have them.
There are complete evinrude stringer outdrives on the net albeit pricey but available, I would just search around before you lay down $$ and see what an actual cost would be.
wwwebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=omc+stringer+outdrive&_sop=12&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336728181&customid=&toolid=10001

PUT A dot AFTER WWW

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147468

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm very pleased to learn that the stringers are fiberglass. How will one know if the foam has been water saturated as the flooring appears to be glassed over the foam. Will the foam need to be replaced once removed? Sorry for any dumb questions, but my experience with fiberglass boats is very limited.

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147469

I'm looking to restore this boat back to original as possible. This project is designed to take my mind off the everyday pressures provided by my profession and I'm in no hurry, just want to do the restoration as accurately as possible. I checked out the links you provided and I see there are parts available, although I'm not sure what, if any, parts I will need straight away. I'm sure there are manuals available for reference. The seller is asking $700 for the boat and Evinrude trailer. The front seats don't look correct and the rear seats are missing. The owner also says the engine runs, but needs a tune up and the carburator cleaned. Also claims the drive is working correctly. Thanks again for your advice, I truly appreciate it.

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147470

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147471

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147483

The foam was poured in after the floor was installed with the boat in a jig. The idea was to help the hull keep it's form as the foam expanded. Search Evinrude advertising and you will find the ad. Because the subfloor is full of foam, a wet & somewhat rotten floor will feel firm.

You could drill a few random holes and see if the drill cuttings are wet or dry. If dry, you will need to put small fiberglass patches over the holes. My bet is you will find moisture.

Doing a complete floor is labor intense but the stringers will be good, so that is 50% of the challenge.

Now the bad news, you probably can do the work required to make it a good reliable boat and only sell it at a loss.
Attachments:

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147484

I've decided I don't need the headaches, so I'm not buying the boat. Thanks for your information and quick response.

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147485

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, You're always welcome here in this family if you decide on another course of action.

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147486

It's not just the headaches, I have those anyway, but I don't believe the seller was being truthful. When asked if it was used in salt of fresh water, he said fresh. Kind of funny, since the boat was on hard just off the San Francisco bay. Said the engine ran, but the carburetor and distributor cap were partially disassembled and the battery was missing. Also, had not registered the boat or trailer in five years and wanted me to pay the late fees. Also wanted me to accept a bill of sale signed by the previous owner, dated 12/2018 and no registration form of the trailer. Just too many issues, but I'll continue my search for another boat.

Evinrude 1964 Sweet 16 1 year 4 months ago #147491

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Oh wow. Smart to walk away

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6899 guests and one member online