Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Drill outboard mount holes.

Drill outboard mount holes. 1 year 4 weeks ago #147780

I sure hope I'm at the correct place to ask this question. I just finished putting in a new 1 1/2 inch wood transom in my Dad's 1968 Fish N Ski Bowrider boat. The mount bolts that was holding his 50 hp Johnson to the transom was 5/16 inch bolts. What would be the correct diameter drill bit to install new 5/16 engine mount bolt to the new transom? Should it be tight and use a 5/16 drill bit or a little looser like a 11/32nd, 3/8 ect.? The original transom was so rotten that I can't determine the hole size. Thanks for any help and sorry if I'm at the wrong place for this question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drill outboard mount holes. 1 year 4 weeks ago #147781

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
You're good here.
A tight fit is always better. (No comment Jan). Sometimes I would drill the same size hole like you stated and coat the bolts with silicone and pound them through, bolt 'em tight.

Drill outboard mount holes. 1 year 4 weeks ago #147782

63 Sabre wrote: A tight fit is always better. (No comment Jan). Sometimes I would drill the same size hole like you stated and coat the bolts with silicone and pound them through, bolt 'em tight.

I agree, a tight fit is always better but as you get up there in age your bolt may not be as hard as it use to and getting it into a tight hole may be an issue.

All joking aside I agree, I would suggest using a marine grade adhesive like 3m 5200. Apply some to the inside of the hole to assist in slowing down any water penetrating into the new transom. also add some around the outside of the hole before mounting the outboard. Home depot carries small tubes of this product.

Drill outboard mount holes. 1 year 4 weeks ago #147786

Thanks for the good info. Brisco

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7796 guests and 4 members online