Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new member restoring Wayne 100.

new member restoring Wayne 100. 8 months 1 day ago #148354

Hi all. This is my first post and I am asking for help on a Wayne 100 I am finishing.

For those of you unfamiliar, a Southern California hotrodder named Wayne Horning started a company called Inland Marine and built about 96 "Wayne 100" corvair engined powertrains and installed them in several models of boats in the early to mid 1960s. They were sufficiently different thst Horning was issued three US patents on parts of the drivetrain. I believe the most common hull was a Glasspar modified for this purpose, The boat that we have is a 16-17ft Glasspar modified as I understand it by Glasspar. Wayne designed modifications to a corvair engine that stood it on end in the stern and the engine drove a steering pod that extends through the bottom of the hull. The engine is about 100 hp, has power steering and of course air cooling.

When I started this project I seem to remember that someone on this sight has posted about a Wayne 100 with pictures of the emblems that were placed on the side at the stern. I am hoping someone will have either emblems available, or more likely, a good photo of the transfers that I can use to make new ones. Can anyone help me on this? Note that some of these boats had Glasspar raised badges with with Wayne 100 transfers, some had Glasspar as a transfer and sWayne 100 as a transfer and some only had raised Wayne 100 badges. Any information on this would be appreciated.

The last two years have been a learning experience. I have discovered that the Wayne 100 powerplant was used in several hulls, had at least two engine displacements, two forms of power steering control. Some engines had dynamos and some alternators. The particular boat I am restoring was made in 1965 and is very similar to the one covered in a contemporary hotrod magazine article.

If there is interest I will try to post photos and can identify the hot rod article and patent numbers. The boat is now nearly complete needing only a final engine tune, connection and adjustment of controls, installation of the restored lower unit and steering wheel to be launched. I still have the emblems and badges to complete and install but if should be a nice looking completed project. Let me know if anyone knows where I can get a good image of the Wayne 100 transfer.

Thanks in advance. M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new member restoring Wayne 100. 8 months 15 hours ago #148355

Welcome to Fiberglassics and please share pics of the Glasspar.

Thanks,
Terry

new member restoring Wayne 100. 8 months 6 hours ago #148360

Would love to see pics!

new member restoring Wayne 100. 7 months 3 weeks ago #148369

I am not very computer savvy but will try to post a photo of the engine.164 CCI Corvair truck engine with turbo heads (better valves) If successful I will post more. Best. M
Attachments:

new member restoring Wayne 100. 7 months 3 weeks ago #148370

for some reason I cannot invert this image. It arrears correct side up until I save it. I tried to invert on my screen asnd it is still inverted as the post.

new member restoring Wayne 100. 7 months 3 weeks ago #148371

How about this???
VERY COOL!!!
I'd like to see more pictures!
doc

Attachments:

new member restoring Wayne 100. 7 months 3 weeks ago #148373

Some good info here on 65 Avalon.

www.fiberglassics.com/forum/member-projects/132612-1965-wayne-100-restoration.html#140599

Have also seen Glassar G3's with same power.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Larsspar

new member restoring Wayne 100. 7 months 3 weeks ago #148375

I second the Doctors response. The benefit/simplicity of not needing water and the associated pump/plumbing to cool the engine makes for a very clean and beautiful installation! How big of an oil tank is needed?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.818 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)