Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1961 BellBoy Ballerina Project

1961 BellBoy Ballerina Project 14 years 1 month ago #2261

My neighbor gave me a 61 Ballerina 14'. Okay shape, and I have it stripped it down very well. The whole think is naked. I wanted start from the inside out, you know... do it right. I worked in boat yards in high school, so most of my knowledge is vague, at best. I need some tips, pointers, and leads on places to go without getting ripped off. I do plan on doing this all myself, but I will need advice from time to timewith questions like this,"Is there anyway to get an inboard motor on this boat?" It would look great if I could.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1961 BellBoy Ballerina Project 14 years 1 month ago #2265

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome Mr. Glazier, you have come to the right place! Personally, I'm still a rookie at the rebuilding and/or restoration process, but I can help you "get the ball rolling" around here. First thing you'll need is pictures, pictures, and more pictures. It helps to remember how to put stuff back like it was, it helps to show the people who know how to advise on whatever your current task is, etc. (Also helps draw attention to your questions, we get tired of just reading text all the time! :P )

Let's start with converting a 14' anything from OB to I/O. That will eat up a great deal of room in the cabin area of your boat, you probably know that already right? Also, major transom work mounting the outdrive and structural beefing under the floor to support the inboard. One other thing I feel compelled to mention is the weight of the new power train. A small outboard weighs in well under 150lbs, not sure about the I/O deal but you gotta believe it would be considerably more. Not trying to discourage you on the conversion, just laying out some facts on the table, okay.

PS - Just checked the library section, there's a brochure for 1960 Ballerina in there, with some excellent company history etc. for you to peruse!

Mark

Re:1961 BellBoy Ballerina Project 14 years 1 month ago #2377

The Ballerina was available with an early Volvo I/O. It was a little 4 banger tractor motor, Don't thenk they were any faster than a good outboard. I've seen one in person many years ago. I don't remember any details about the stringers. There was a funky fiberglass cover that went over the engine bay.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)