• Page:

TOPIC: 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years

1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22782

• McSkagit
  • McSkagit's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I launched my 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan after 22 year restoration on October 4, 2010. It was actually 37 years on the hard. It's the third and last 31 built and the only restored Saratogan.

Her sister ship, hull one which was launched in 1957 was the largest all fiberglass production cruiser built at the time. Don't think the record stood for very long, though.

It's powered by twin Volvo Penta TAMD41 200 Hp turbo diesels. 2:1 reduction, 8 degree down angle reverse gears turning 18 X 21 Dynaquad propellers. She's fairly fast, 18 knot cruise and 28 knot tops. She'll plane out to 14 knots on one engine, pretty unusual! Very smooth and soft riding.

I posted some pictures in the gallery. Check it out.

More on this boat later.

Tim
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22783

Looks absolutely wonderful. Looking forward to seeing more photo's.

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22786

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Beautiful Boat !!! You must be proud and Glad to have it in the water .By the looks of the one picture of it moving Ild LOVE to Knee Board or Wake board behind her ..

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22788

This is without adought one of the most beautiful boats on the water today. It has all the classic lines to it. The proper colors to befit a classic. She rides nice in the water and has the proper amount of power to make it look great at speed. It is a bout to be proud of it is nice to see that it doesnt just sit at the dock. Thanks, Skip.

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22789

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Tim
Stunning.
11,500 lbs. of stunning.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22817

Thank you for bring this beautiful boat back, and for the pictures.
Now for my ignorance, what is the function of the third prop coming from the keel?

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22830

• McSkagit
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The third propeller is an electric "ghosting motor". Use it for trolling or silent running. I'll be taking people out on nature cruises, so will be able to shut down the diesels and make 4 to 6 knots on electric power. Propeller is variable pitch and full-feathering. Hydraulic ram is pitch control. Tim
Attachments:

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22831

McSkagit wrote:

The third propeller is an electric "ghosting motor". Use it for trolling or silent running. I'll be taking people out on nature cruises, so will be able to shut down the diesels and make 4 to 6 knots on electric power. Propeller is variable pitch and full-feathering. Hydraulic ram is pitch control. Tim

Well, isn't that slick?? Cool beans! The boat is absolutely beautiful.

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22833

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Tim
Is the ghosting motor an option that came original with the boat?
Are your nature tours just for your friends or can a person make a reservation for one?
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22836

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
God what a thing of beauty. I am speechless otherwise.

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22837

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
An absolute beauty! Love the lines and I bet she's a joy to captain.
JAG

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22839

• McSkagit
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Neil wrote:

Tim
Is the ghosting motor an option that came original with the boat?
Are your nature tours just for your friends or can a person make a reservation for one?
Neil

The ghosting motor is my own creation. Prior to my ownership, the twin V-8s were removed and a single diesel bus engine was installed.
A center sterntube was installed and the keel lengthened. That repower was never completed.

I decided to go back to twins, which left the center sterntube unused. What to do with it? Ghosting motor was the answer. The motor is a WWII aircraft generator....makes about 10 HP on 24 volts.

Yes, I'll be doing scheduled and custom charters, whale watching and such...Boomer generation music and karaoke cruises...fun stuff.
Close Encounters Ecotours in Friday Harbor, Washington
closeencountersecotours.com

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22840

• McSkagit
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
JAG wrote:

An absolute beauty! Love the lines and I bet she's a joy to captain.
JAG

Thanks for all the positive feedback. All the kudos have been the best part of getting this very long project in the water.

The boat is surprisingly responsive. I like to take the engines up to about 1200 RPM and then firewall the throttles. The engines come up pretty quickly and then at about 2300 the turbos kick in and...well....you better be hanging on!

Thanks again to all who have responded...made my day!

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22841

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Tim
Well done on the invent/fabrication of the ghost drive. Awesome!
I think that it is just fantastic that you have brought her back to life and are willing to share with others through tours/cruises.
What a wonderful surprise for my wife when I can book an outing with you. I will definately be in touch.
Thanks again. What a treat.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22847

Stunning - what beautiful lines!
Congratulations!!

Peter
in Denver

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22848

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Tim
I went to the website and it looks great.
I talked to my daughter in Portland and she is going to help me with the surprise for my wife.
Her birthday is in July and it looks like we will be booking then.
We, of course, will book through the site. It is looking like there will be four of us.
I can't wait to meet you and see the Skagit "in the flesh". :)

I will be in Thom's neck of the woods on the way up from Portland and I will talk to him then and see if I can stop and visit. I missed him at Thanksgiving, though he did give me guidance over the phone about some Towers.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22872

An absolutely stunning boat. Drive systems are super. Is there a relationship between the model and Saratoga, NY, just a little north of us?

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22894

• McSkagit
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
crosbyboat wrote:

An absolutely stunning boat. Drive systems are super. Is there a relationship between the model and Saratoga, NY, just a little north of us?

Out here in Puget Sound we have Saratoga Passage which runs between the mainland and Whidbey Island.

During the first showing of the Skagit 31 in Seattle Boat Show in 1957, a contest was held to name the Skagit 31 model. Winner won a completely equipped Skagit 14. Winning name: Saratogan...

Tim
Attachments:

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22931

I think I've been there. Was out to the Island Boat Shop on Whidbey Island, and we stayed at the Capt. Whidbey Inn years ago. And been to Vashon Island which was like a pilgrimage. When we married in 1973 Redbook magazine ran a Christmas issue all about Christmas on Vashon Island. My wife still has the issue in plastic inserts and uses recipes from it every year.

Again, that Saratogan is about the best classic looker I've seen on the site in the last 11+ years. A true beauty.

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22949

Amazing. We are not worthy.

If I ever make it out there, I definitely want to go out on a cruise.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22984

very stunning boat,can you post pics of the interior,i would love to see it,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22985

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
There are some in the Gallery John, here's the link;
www.fiberglassics.com/gallery/category/174-1959-skagit-31-saratogan.html

Mark

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22986

thanks mark,boy that boat is beautiful,what a great restoration,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #22990

Just when I think I've seen the most beautiful ever..... another one comes along! Oh to be in Washington to see her in real life. I bet it takes your breath away.

Neil, you've got one lucky wife. Think you can keep the surprise till her birthday?

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #23062

She is absolutely stunning. Wish they would have made a few more so I might have a chance at one. Hope to see it in person one of these days.

Nick

1961 Uniflite 19' Express, Bearcat 55 powered
1975 Chris Craft 25' Tournament Fisherman, Twin 181 FL inboard

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #23105

Tim,
Absolutely phenominal job!!!! That is one beautiful boat.

Bob

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #23129

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I will do my best to keep the surprise from the Mrs. Don't you guys tell her!
I have also invited a couple that live in the Seattle area.
They have been in the San Juan's before and say that it is beautiful.
I can't wait.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 2 months ago #23303

That's MY kind of restification - classic original looks combined with state of the art engineering improvements! A top-tier lake rod!!! CONGRATS!

Blest boater

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 1 month ago #24842

• McSkagit
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Sea Magazine story on the 31 Skagit Saratogan hit the news stands yesterday. Here is a link to the online edition.

bit.ly/fKW7UR

Tim

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 1 month ago #25085

WOW! When I stand next to my old 1958 Skagit 20.....I suddenly feel so small.
That is a thing of beauty. I am amazed! I recall years back seeing the process of the restore, but to have her on the water and in such fine form must be something of a surreal experience.

They say that every skipper who has poured his heart and soul into his boat feels a part of her. I imagine that feeling her push you along with the wind in your face has brought a tear or two.

Well done! You deserve a medal!!!!!!!! :kiss:

Mike Russon

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 1 month ago #25090

• McSkagit
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks Mike! Surreal is a good description of having a boat that was this big inanimate object for over twenty years, finally come alive.

Two days ago I was headed off island, but missed the eight o'clock ferry. I had a four hour wait for the next boat, so I jumped into the Skagit and took her for a little spin.

There was a fresh wind and a one foot chop. I blasted around for 20 minutes, running flat out into the chop. The boat punches through the chop like it's not there. A few hours later the wind came up to 60. I was aboard the ferry crossing Rosario Strait. One of the rougher ferry crossings I've experienced in 35 years living in the islands. Was glad the Saratogan was safely secured to the dock.

Had the boat out on my birthday (Feb 9) and ran down to Jones Island...about 5 miles. Started smelling something...like a burn barrel about half way there. Once secured to the mooring buoy, I opened the engine hatch and noted the port stuffing box smoking.
Poured water on it for five minutes before it was cool enough to touch. So one of the first modifications will be to install Norscot stuffing boxes.

A few days after that I was doing tight turns at cruise speed. I'd run 18.5 knots (20 mph) and just crank the wheel hard over. The boat just leans slightly into the turn and goes around as if on rails. About 90 foot diameter circle and only looses one knot of speed. Can hear a rumble at the stern, but no vibration or propeller slippage. That same day I had it up to 15.5 knots on one engine. Amazing!

The Saratogan has a robust and solid feel with an excess of power.
My confidence level is going up. The boat is very easy to dock.

So far so good!

Tim

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 1 month ago #25091

OK......I am sure it isn't just me, but reading your description of how well she handles brings to memory the first time I took a boat out. That feeling of fear, excitement and downright rush that comes along with it still gives me chills just like I am actually there.

I am a long way from you Tim, but someday I am going to come pay you a visit and see her in person. Keep us posted!

A true piece of history brought back to life!!!!

Mike Russon

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 1 month ago #25304

• McSkagit
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I've been aware that the link to the Sea Magazine article doesn't work. My son Barry gave me this link that takes you to the exact page. Try this:

bit.ly/fKW7UR

Tim

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 1 month ago #25310

Mr. McSkagit Sir;
I am 79 years young. I live near Reno, NV. I have gone to the Classic Boat show at Lake Tahoe a few times. I have had the pleasure of going aboard the Thunderbird. It is unreal. Beautiful wood and brushed stainlees steel.
I have not had the pleasure of seeing your Saratogan in person, but from the pictures that I have seen, she is right up there with the Thunderbird. It's not wood and stainlees steel, but Class is Class.
I'm not sure how the Karma thing works, but I finnaly pushed the green thumb, and one Karma came up. I think every one is too much in aaah of your boat to push the green thumb.
I'll bet your daughter is very proud to have her name on that beautiful boat.
Thank you again for bring her back.
old darb

Re:1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 13 years 1 month ago #25317

• McSkagit
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Old Darb,
I was looking at some pictures of Thunderbird a week or two ago. She is in a class and category all her own. To mention the Skagit Saratogan in the same breath as the Thunderbird is quit a compliment. Sweet Zoanna has only been in the water four months and is still in shakedown. Not sure when or if I'll bring it down to Lake Tahoe, but I guess it could happen.

Thank you for the Karma! Really appreciate the kudos. On really long projects, there are times when one questions the sanity of such involvement. For me, the Skagit 31 has always been about the lines and proportions. It's poetry in motion.....or.....standing still.

Thanks again,

Tim Jones
Friday Harbor

old darb wrote:

Mr. McSkagit Sir;
I am 79 years young. I live near Reno, NV. I have gone to the Classic Boat show at Lake Tahoe a few times. I have had the pleasure of going aboard the Thunderbird. It is unreal. Beautiful wood and brushed stainlees steel.
I have not had the pleasure of seeing your Saratogan in person, but from the pictures that I have seen, she is right up there with the Thunderbird. It's not wood and stainlees steel, but Class is Class.
I'm not sure how the Karma thing works, but I finnaly pushed the green thumb, and one Karma came up. I think every one is too much in aaah of your boat to push the green thumb.
I'll bet your daughter is very proud to have her name on that beautiful boat.
Thank you again for bring her back.
old darb

1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan launched after 22 years 2 years 9 months ago #144866

Tim,

I gave a talk at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum about the "Earliest Fiberglass Cruisers -- Winner and Dyer to Hatteras & Bertam," but in the center of the talk was a focus on Skajit and Bell Boy, the west coast pioneers with cabin cruisers.

I am retiring next year, and want to restore a cruiser (have plenty of smaller boats, including a 17 foot 1959 Larson Thunderhawk, Sr, and a 1974 Boston Whaler Outrage 21. BTW, each of my daughters have 14 foot 1959 and 1960 Larson Falls Flyers that I have restored. In a nutshell, I am passionate about early fiberglass cruisers, and would like to own and restore one of the most beautiful 1950s boats ever built (Thank you, Howard Roberts).

So, please, let's start a dialogue about the unrestored Saratogan, that I would like to restore and cruise on the East Coast, with my wife of 44 years.

Best regards,
Jeff Beard in Galesville, MD
(202) 651-0671

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)