Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1959 18-ft Crosby Ranger

1959 18-ft Crosby Ranger 12 years 9 months ago #34589

Does anyone know much about these? I read the article in the library already. I have an opportunity to pick one up without interior or motor. Otherwise, it is complete (hard to find pieces still there). Are they rare or desirable at all? I saw someone on here has one.....

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 18-ft Crosby Ranger 12 years 9 months ago #34598

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
YES, CROSBYBOAT, Brian out of Albany got one for a low E-bay score out of N.H. maybe a few years ago. Have not seen a pic recently.
Believe there is a wide front deck hatch , sort of unique. CROSBY always have a history, Good safe , practical boat like a skiff / picnic boat, island grocery getter.

NOt sure what seats it had, maybe two capt pedistals, & use folding / moveable chairs for guests & then walk about for fishing. ? He will tell you about any floor / repair expenses.

Re:1959 18-ft Crosby Ranger 12 years 9 months ago #34604

I have a 1959 Crosby Ranger that I've done a lot of rebuild work on. Bought it in NH for $54...with the trailer and an 85 hp Evinrude I gave to chinewalker. Still needs finishing work. Other projects keep getting in front of it, the most recent a 1955 Century Resorter. :laugh: Split nailed it. This is a big boat. 18' of 2" thick hull, double spray rails and lots of free board, and it's wide, barely fits through the shop door. Only one seat in this beast as built. Lots of wide open space behind the seat for fishing or hauling. My twin 1959 Evinrude Larks will end up on this boat, and again, as Split says, I see this as being the kitchen boat. Meaning, it will haul groceries, fire wood, furniture, kitchen sinks, appliances, etc. on and off island in the St. Lawrence and never complain. All Crosby and Hydrodyne boats have balsa wood cores. Check it carefully for soft spots. Mine had one area about 2x3 that was soft where a transducer was installed through the bottom that eventually leaked. 4 gallons of penetrating epoxy helped alot, and I'm not going to beating this boat. It needs to float and move. Should be a good one if sound.

Attached photo is NOT mine, but one I spoke to the owner about.

crosbyboat
Attachments:

Re:1959 18-ft Crosby Ranger 12 years 9 months ago #34605

Here's mine in the shop doorway.
Attachments:

Re:1959 18-ft Crosby Ranger 12 years 9 months ago #34608

www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/d/d9/Crosbyb59009.jpg

My personal Holy Grail is the Baycomber. Check out the seating layout on this boat. Land twin 1000 on this and you've got a boat.

Re:1959 18-ft Crosby Ranger 12 years 9 months ago #34619

I Have one too, first time I stepped inside I was surprised how firm the hull was.
It's coming along, working on the 85hp chrysler right now.

Crosbyboat.....which would be better for skiing/wakeboarding the Ranger or fish-n-ski with the 85hp chrysler? I'm leaning toward the fns as I would think the ranger would be more of the fish-n-haul...

My ranger does not have a wood floor - should it? the Fish-n-ski does, does it need to? Technical reasons why/why not.

THanks didn't intend to hijack thread. but I did

Randy

Re:1959 18-ft Crosby Ranger 12 years 9 months ago #34647

I think the F&S would be much more agile and faster than the Ranger. No Crosby's came with a wooden floor, if you mean the walking about surface. Only wood in them was the balsa and hardwood core and the plywood transom. Crosby capped most of their transoms well and it is the rare one that is bad. The core is another thing because many of the models had seat suppports that were screwed to the core. The Ranger has one large bench seat that is supported in the middle by a plywood rizer glassed to the floor. No screws. Any time a screw goes through glass into wood it's a source of water infiltration, which over a 50-60 life can work its insidious damage.

It does not surprise me your Ranger core is good. Mine got a soft spot because a depth finder transducer was installed completly through the bottom. The sealant eventually hardend, or the sealant was not used correctly (you're supposed to apply liberally snug up your component, let the sealant cure, THEN tighten the component) allowing water infiltration. I used 4 gallons of penetrating epoxy to repair the area (almost $400 for that). Again, for $54, and intended use, I'm not real worried about it.

Re:1959 18-ft Crosby Ranger 12 years 9 months ago #34683

Should a walking about surface be put in or is it ok to walk on the fiberglass, there are a few soft spots on the inside I suppose I will also do a full inner hull treatment with the epoxy.

I took my bench out with the intent of rebuilding it. I pulled up the center support and the wood side area that the throttle box attaches to. I was thinking Trex poly lumber would be good to replace in those locations and glass over.

I have not looked at the F&S hull yet perhaps a similar treatment to the hull for it. THe price was right for the 2, my cost has been less than 100 for each with trailers and motors.

Randy

1959 18-ft Crosby Ranger 1 year 10 months ago #146603

My dad had a Crosby, which I think was a '58 Ranger. I'm pretty sure he put in the floor and possibly the back seat. I know he added the gas tank under the front seat because the '60 Evinrude Starflite 75 really chugged fuel.
The boat had a tooth-rattling ride quality. The bow would slap hard when hitting waves. It was a good handling boat, though. The 75hp Evinrude topped off at about 30mph. An 85hp Evinrude did about 32. Later on my dad reinforced the transom and hung a 135 Evinrude off it. It did 43mph with just me in the boat and was great on gas.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)