TOPIC: 1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's

1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38678

• MadProps
  • MadProps's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 1959 Mercury Mark 55A's

before and after pics of my Crosby Capri I have had for a year and a half....no fins but the dash is a copy of the 57-58 Corvette

Im the third owner, this boat was purchased new by the City of New York City as a harbor Patrol boat, the harbor patrol officer running the boat when retiring asked if he could buy the boat and it was given to him, he towed her across country to Washington state where he and family used it for many years skiing on their lake...as it deteriorated it was left to sit for the last 21 years on a 1959 Holsclaw trailer with rollers that caused serious hooks in the hull bottom...she was advertised on CraigsList for almost a year, for only $300 BUT without pics of the interior...so she looked like a pretty boring boat to me, till I looked in the Library here at FG....I then emailed the owner to see if I could get pics of the interior...a week later pics showed in my email and I paid for the boat with paypal as fast as I could & picked her up a few weeks later.

Launch day this weekend had a few shake down bugs...crowd watching the launch and battery was about dead from listening to
the MP3 player while working on the boat!!!.just enough power to start one motor....jeesh....steering linkage for
twins...turned farther to left than the right...fixing the steering & after tuning the motors and breaking in the rings,
bearings etc I opened her up to 3/4 throttle and almost doubled my speed from running a single motor with a hull hook so I am
THRILLED and cant wait to finish the break in tank of fuel and go to WOT...will post video of her running the twins possibly
next week

Twin Mark 55A's Restored and rebuilt...new rings, seals, gaskets,impellers, decals, shift & throttle cables etc. etc. Although I have pair of pristine 2 lever quick silver controls I opted to install the single lever Remote Controls, because this boat will be used for tubing, skiing & para-sailing, so Im worried someone dragging me may get confused and panic in a situation with 4 levers & dual controls while Im 200+ ft in the air

Boat and motors painted Mercury Cloud White color Satin Finish
New quicksilver rack & pinion steering & cable
Airguide Speedo
New wiring with buss bars, fuse blocks etc, low level interior mood lighting for Booze Cruises
Vintage spotlight & Vintage Sparton horn both overhauled and now working again
Garmin depth finder
Onboard GPS with MP3 player
Bilge pump with manual & Autofloat switch
Fuel/water separator
Onboard battery tender
Replaced all chrome with NOS or very good condition used chrome pieces, only a couple pieces Left to find and replace
Rear view mirror off 1958 Corvette
Rare Chromed Crosby emblems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38681

VERY nice, congrats!

Frank

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38682

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Either of the last two pics look like calendar shots, she's beautiful MP!

Mark

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38684

Sweet!

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38692

DITTO !!!!!!

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38695

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
M.P. : Just BEAUTIFUL. remember the weekend you 1st posted the unique find..Brian Lawson is going to wish New York had that boat back in the East.. Yes Dual Mercs unique set up ..

Again CONGRATS, you have my vote of the day.

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38700

i have a 1959 crosby capri with single 75 hp
great boats wish mine looked as good as yours.
im trying to decide to take the windshield off
like yours

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38701

calendar pic's indeed!
Attachments:

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38703

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
I'm speechless! PERFECT SETUP!

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38704

• MadProps
  • MadProps's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
thanks guys!

timg wrote:

i have a 1959 crosby capri with single 75 hp
great boats wish mine looked as good as yours.
im trying to decide to take the windshield off
like yours

nothing like tears in your ears :woohoo:

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38707

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Excellent Work ..Shes very pretty . Love the pic with the Mercs on back . Bet she sounds terific to ..

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercur 12 years 8 months ago #38734

MP, that's one outstanding looking boat, great job, love the twin Merc's!

Bob

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercur 12 years 8 months ago #38737

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Merc or Crosby did a marathon test up the Mississippi River with a boat set up just like this. Only stopping for fuel. I read it about 20 years ago in the Antique Outboarder.
Good Go!! Awesome!!!!!

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38740

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Stunning!!

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38764

mad,it looks great,wow!i love it,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38770

I like the no-windshield look but with the twins you just might need them. :woohoo:

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 12 years 8 months ago #38776

Madprops - The Capri is my all time favorite boat. Had one as a kid and restored one in 1999. The twin Mercs look great. She has got to be a great performer. Best thing about this boat....full speed into a turn and crank it full to either side, and no chine digging or urge to flip. It is a superbly designed hull. I want a ride! Gorgeous!

One very minor point. Technically, to be the Custom Deluxe model, you need a two tone paint job on the decks. Keep the little lines white, and then accent in between with another color. That was a $50 option from Crosby that went with the Custom Deluxe designation.

Brian
Attachments:

Re:1959 Crosby Capri Custom Delux & Twin 59 Mercury's 3 years 2 weeks ago #144292

I am about to begin a project like this, restoring a 1959 boat. I was wondering if anyone could point me to an active forum doing this sort of restorations with old fiberglass boats?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 14089 guests and one member online