Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scraping and Painting Interior of First Project

Scraping and Painting Interior of First Project 14 years 1 week ago #4807

Hi. I have a 1960 16' fiberglass pocket cruiser that is my first project. The hull is sound,needs very little repair. I want to paint the interior first. But the paint has peeled quite a bit. The cabin roof is really peeling. The cockpit had carpeting that went all the sides. I am seeking advice on the best way to clean, scrape, and paint such a rough interior. Thanks Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Scraping and Painting Interior of First Project 14 years 1 week ago #4815

• Heather
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Elbow grease is all I can tell you for scraping. If you have air tools, a Orbital DA is the most cost effective way to do it. No mater what your doing. Eye and breathing protection is a must since it's enclosed and overhead. Oh, and Media Blasting is the easy but it's not cheep by any ones pockets.

Mrs Spookeay Bird

Re:Scraping and Painting Interior of First Project 14 years 1 week ago #4819

Depending on how much residue there is from the old carpet. Like if it was foam back or rubber back. If that was the case then a four inch razor scrpaer first. If it is just the carpet adhesive that you want to remove. It is still a real job. I would scrape it first. And here is something that works but may cost you a little. Buy a cheap gallon of bondo. Spread it lightly over the glue. Then you can sand it a lot easier. The bondo dust mixes in with the glue as you sand and keeps the paper from plugging up. I would try 36 grit and see what you think of the scratch it leaves. Otherwise 80 will work it just plugs up a lot faster.

D

Re:Scraping and Painting Interior of First Project 14 years 16 hours ago #5681

Hi I was advised to take off the hardware. Then remove the loose paint with a powerwasher. Then scrub the interior with comet and green pads. Should I sand where the carpet was on the boat. Before the comet and pads. Thanks Andy

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)