Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Contender?

Contender? 14 years 2 days ago #5550

I ran across a real interesting looking boat yesterday. Says on the passenger grab handle "Contender" but I couldn't find any info on it on the web. I could find Contender Boats, but they sure don't look like this. Got a 4 cyl Merc on it, not sure of year or model of boat or motor. Has a trim pump but no way I could see it hooked up to the motor, so maybe the motor on it now is not what was on it before or whatever. Of course, no transferable registration.

Looks like a 'cat from the front and like a v-hull from the back.

Any ideas?

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Contender? 14 years 2 days ago #5551

oooooo.. very nice find.. Glastron Contender. I sure wish I could find one down here!
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Contender? 14 years 2 days ago #5558

• Russ
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Anyone else having issues with viewing photos? I am seeing some on other posts, none on this one. I tried closing out my browser and logging out and back in.

Re:Contender? 14 years 2 days ago #5559

classicfins wrote:

oooooo.. very nice find.. Glastron Contender. I sure wish I could find one down here!

So a '57 motor on a '69 boat!

I was out there again today. Shoulda took a pic of the transom, some kinda cob job, very rough on the outside. No metallic visible. Motor is a Mark 30, but there's a trim pump underneath the starboard splash well equipped with an outboard manifold. No hoses. No registration, but I guess some of the members here might be able to help with stuff like that?

You can see where $1250 had been written on the hull. Doing a deal with the guy, (loan for expansion). He offered it to me for 500 bucks. Seems high to me, but I didn't say anything, primarily because I ain't got anywhere even close to that available right now.

I just thought it was a cool looking boat.

Frank

Attachments:

Carlson Contender? 14 years 2 days ago #5563

Apparently '69 was the 1st year these Carlson's were Glastrons. Quite a history with Carlson, so I really don't know what this baby is, but it is for sure a Carlson hull and deck.

Frank
Attachments:

Re:Contender? 14 years 2 days ago #5564

$500 bucks is a steal for that hull. They are very desireable. Again if it weren't in New York and I in Louisiana.....

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Contender? 14 years 2 days ago #5565

My problem is cash, and not having a short shaft motor. How many hp is a Mark 30? This baby had some merc on it with PT&T, bet she honked right along. Even if I had the money, don't know if I got the interest in re-doing another boat.

Frank

Re:Contender? 14 years 2 days ago #5567

Not sure what hp the mark 30 is but the contender needs at least 90. Most people are running 115 and up on them. If the transom was good I'd put a jack plate on the rear and run my 115 Mercury. If the transom had to be redone I'd built it up 5" and put my 115 Mercury on it. lol

Re:Contender? 14 years 1 day ago #5573

The transom would have to be redone Doug. Plus it's got an unusual floor in it, even though it seems good & solid.

I can't worry about it too much. If he still has it in a couple months, we'll see.

I need to get the PC done 1st.

Frank

Found this today too! 14 years 1 day ago #5576

Had my camera with me today, need to bring it more often. Boy, there are a lot of old boats around!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Contender?-CARLSON 14' 14 years 1 day ago #5594

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Frank: A tunnel race guy like you knows these boats, you ae just leading us on.! Also from the early 60's these are designed by Art CARLSON before he joined Glasstron. The 14' is called Contender & the 16ft is CHALLENGER , many mfg brochures in the Glasstron site.

. The bigger engines would work on the 16 ft , Mark 30's are around 35 -40 hp or set up with a race quickie lower. The Power cat restoration member in St Louis has a 16 footer, dave.?

Re:Contender? 14 years 23 hours ago #5671

Frank, I have one on the way from Texas (hopefully). I bought the boat for $250 with the transom removed. I also bought a mongrel 15" Merc inline with a BP mid and a 100 hp powerhead and stock lower to go on it. When I found mine, I hadn't seen another one. Now they are coming out of the woodwork. (Maybe because I have my radar up for the word Contender.)

Cool find, somebody needs to grab it....

Bernie

Re:Contender? 14 years 6 hours ago #5716

F - I owned a Carlson Contender. It's what the 1350 came on. The Contender is now in the 1000 Islands. Don't believe it's been touched since I sold it.....for $500. Ouch! B

Re:Contender? 14 years 5 hours ago #5718

What B, you sold it for 500 bucks without a motor? What kind of shape was it in? This one the guy wants 500 bucks for is not in great shape, but it has a '57 Mark 30 on it of unknown condition.

Frank

Re:Contender? 14 years 5 hours ago #5720

F- Yup. Went to a friend in the 1000 Islands. I think the transom needed to be done in it. Emily LOVED that boat. Wanted it for her. Should of kept, but as you well know, you can't keep them all. BTW...is the Manta Ray going or staying? B

(P.S. Waiting for some filler to harden on the PC transom (had a low spot), then will sand and apply VC today. I may drop the first motor on it this week. May paint that one today. The second is up in the 1000 Islands for final work. Will get next Saturday.)

Re:Contender? 14 years 4 hours ago #5721

I don't know what to think about the Manta Ray B. Don't want it. Want to get that contender if I had 500 bucks. While the Contender is in tough shape, it doesn't look as bad as the MR.

I got a new 2 qt. kit of VC, good thing too, gonna need some on the hull, and maybe another coat or two inside. Maybe sprinkle some sand in the last coat. F

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)