Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1969 Century Cheetah

1969 Century Cheetah 8 years 9 months ago #111855

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Technically, I don't have this yet, but will tomorrow. I have wanted a classic inboard ski boat for a long time, and I regularly check CL for old Ski Nautique/ Correct Craft listings. Not sure why I never searched for a Century, though I guess I usually think of wood boats when I think of them. Found this one today and am very excited to get it tomorrow! Looks to have all the fittings and trim, so I look forward to the restoration.
This one will have to wait, as my daughter Alaina is starting the work on her boat. Once hers is done we will dig into the Century!
Any thoughts/opinions on the Century?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1969 Century Cheetah 8 years 9 months ago #111860

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like a great project, strongly resembles the Correct Craft boats from that era.

Mark

Re:1969 Century Cheetah 8 years 9 months ago #111862

That should be a fun project. Here's a link to the club page and info about the Cheetah. Basically it replaced the wooden Resorter from 1968-1970, then it was renamed a Resorter again.

centuryboatclub.com/decade/fiberglass/fgl2.html

The guys over at the Century Boat Club on the facebook page can give you a bunch of help if you have any questions. A lot of guys have been getting Glass models besides their wood ones.

Of course as you know there's plenty of glass help here, it's just if you have particular questions there's a wealth of know model wise over there.

Bob

Re:1969 Century Cheetah 8 years 9 months ago #111894

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Bob,
I sent the Century Club guys an email. I am not on Facebook, so I don't have that opportunity.

I have searched multiple ways to find all that I can online, but there isn't much out there about the Cheetah. It's a neat looking boat. I would like to find out the "negative" reviews of the boat to try to address the shortcomings when I redo it.
For now it is tucked safely away in the barn waiting its turn.

Re:1969 Century Cheetah 8 years 9 months ago #111927

Cool, it will be a fun project. I wasn't on facebook either until I got the Century and joined the club so I could discuss the restoration questions I had/have. There's also a Yahoo group but I haven't used it in a long time. Also I don't know if you saw but all the Cheetah's came in Green, yours has obviously been painted.

Bob

Re:1969 Century Cheetah 8 years 9 months ago #111940

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, the paint is worn in many paces and the green is clearly visible. Almost a nice shade, but just a bit too close to the appliances we had when I was a young kid...

Re:1969 Century Cheetah 8 years 9 months ago #111953

Yep never was a fan of that color, but it was popular then, unfortunately!

Bob

Re:1969 Century Cheetah 8 years 9 months ago #112437

• Drb007
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
So I will need to do a compete rebuild on this motor. Any ideas of who does a good job or should I just shop around locally?
I can't find much info on the velvet drive trans. They look pretty simple, so I am guessing the rebuild should be straightforward there.

Here are some thoughts I have for now, subject to change..
I think since my top deck is cracked in each corner I might consider replacing it with wood. I know I can fix the fiberglass, but I kinda like the idea of a wood top, fiberglass hull boat. I have seen a few of the Cheetahs that have been done up this way. Any reason other than originality to not do this?

I can't use the original color. Just can't. Sue me for departing from original, but at least this boat will live on another 50 years.

Lastly, I don't think I have the original windshield. I haven't seen one like this in pictures. It has the Taylor made red dot on the passenger corner. Ideas?
Attachments:

Re:1969 Century Cheetah 8 years 9 months ago #112492

Well basically it's your boat so you can do whatever you want with it. I don't recall whether there is any big following on the cheetah so don't know if many folks would "poo poo" it or not.

I guess you could say the same for the color also. I know a few of the Century guys actually LIKE that color, NOT me of course!!!!!

Sorry I also don't know much about the windshield, the other club guys will though.

Bob

1969 Century Cheetah 2 years 2 months ago #146221

I don’t see a date on this post. Wondering how your Cheetah project is going? As far as the windshield, I am working on a very original Cheetah with what I believe is the factory windshield. It has much more blunted ends and is more upright than yours. Yours appears to be a Taylor “Speed Sport” which was used by many other manufacturers. I do not have another Cheetah windshield, but if you decide you want to take off the current windshield, I’m looking for one for another project (as long as it’s 72ish inches wide). Let me know, thank you!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6646 guests and no members online