Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Par-Lay International? - Converta?

Par-Lay International? - Converta? 4 years 3 months ago #141550

Hello, I am researching a folding fiberglass boat I have owned for 41 years. It's called a "Converta" with a tag that says Par-Lay International
SER # PL-000112 She's 14 feet long opened up. Registration says it's a 1973 - I received it as a gift in 1978

I have looked on line countless times and have found nothing. I've never seen another one like it.

The wheels and suspension are attached to the boat - so there's no "trailer".
The hitch and wheels pin off and on - You open it up, back it up into the water till it floats, then remove the hitch and wheels and off you go. It also has a snap in tarp (see my profile photo). The tarp with screen and zipper is used to sleep in the unit when propped open 1/2 way. Each 1/2 of the boat is double walled fiberglass so it's very heavy.

Yes, she is in need of a total restoration.

Any information would be helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Par-Lay International? - Converta? 4 years 3 months ago #141584

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Sorry. Not familiar with this particular boat, but it reminds a lot of a boat that was being developed in the late 90's. Looked very similar. Clam shell type boat, designed to double as car top storage and a boat. Never went anywhere. I think the person funding it went bankrupt. Anyway, I looked in the Coast Guard data base, Nothing. probably a one of a kind.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."

Par-Lay International? - Converta? 4 years 3 months ago #141585

Thanks for helping with the research - I have seen the car-topper clam shell units on line - This thing is way to heave to put on a car. :-)

I'm not sure what I will do with the thing - I could sink a ton of time and money into the thing - but I know I just won't use it enough to justify it. Maybe there's someone out there that wants a major project - who knows -

Maybe I should just have a funeral for the old girl and bury her someplace with honors.

Anyway - thanks again.

Par-Lay International? - Converta? 4 years 3 months ago #141597

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Maybe if you are sure you won’t get around to it, you could list it on this site under glassifieds. It just might turn out to be a worthwhile project for someone that already has their Glassic to restore, but would prefer a different starter project to perfect their practice skills on first. Just a thought.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat