Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1959 Herters rebuild

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42690

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Did the Imron today. After wet sanding and finding a few more spots to fill I finally got to shoot some Imron this evening. Weather was perfect. Problem, I ran out of paint!! I knew that qt was not going to be enough and another pint would not have been enough either. I got a good first coat on the hull though and it came out well. The Imron seems very forgiving if squirted on following the mix directions, 3:1. Tomorrow I will pick up another qt and finish the job.$$$. Very high gloss but there are some spots where I shot too thin and it didn't flow like it should that's why I need a second coat.

Here in the non osha approved brush/roll/spray booth formerly occupied by my motor home.

As you can see the sun was going down, the reflection on the transom.

The high gloss of a single coat with the Imron activator.

Another view, the Imron has already set and is touchable, looks like it's still wet....but nooooo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42693

Shiny is good. I don't have a paint booth or even a garage so "We make do."

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42698

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I think the neighbors get high when I do this stuff.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42767

She's looking great Cal. Keep it up. I have not shot Imron but heard many good things about it. Friend use to spray their racing hulls (sailboat) with it.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42889

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Had a minor setback today. I wet sanded the first coat with 400 and when I got to the transom and the glossy water running over it I noticed that it looked like it had a bad case of celulite, all wavy. I'm thinking that maybe when I rebuilt the transom and laid the glass matt between the outside shell and the new boards it somehow rippled the outer shell. The Herters originally had just the thin shell with the aluminum planking, shell might have warped somehow. Anyone have a solution for a problem like this otherwise I'm just going to scratch the back end with 40 grit and lay some heavy coats of high build on with a brush and then flatboard it.
Other than that I rebuilt the back of the Gator fender that had a piece missing, and did some more straightening on the fender grills.

Before the fender repair.

After the repair.

Working on the bent up aluminum fender grills. These are a work in progress!

Sorta hit the brick wall today.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42921

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I wish I did hit a brick wall yesterday. Instead 200# of venison decided to duel with my jeep at 65 mph on the interstate. He lost, My baby was seriously wounded to the point of non runner. The boat will sit on the shelf for who knows how long until my sweety is back on her wheels again. Now I have to go through all the agonizing crap with motor clubs and insurance companies.

I will do all the repairs myself once the insurance settles up.
This happened at exactly midnight Wednesday. The two sheriff officers that helped me out found the buck stone cold about 10 feet from the side of the road. No match at all, didn't get far after his poor decision.

If you look closely in the background you can see the Herters laying in wait.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42924

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Very sorry to hear about your unfortunate encounter Cal! Glad you're okay, the Jeep looks a mess. :laugh: :(

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42947

wow cal,sorry about the deer hitting your jeep,been there done that.
nice work on the rest though,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42948

Been there done that too. This is Pennsylvania and we do have a supply of venison on hand.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42949

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bow season opens in a few days, I just got mine a little early. Thanks for the kind words. I guess I can honestly say without political reservation. The buck stopped here. The day has been a hassle with insuance people and adjusters. Glad I only hit one every 15 years.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42961

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I really miss one of you guys saying "That'll buff out"
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42969

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Glad to hear you are all right. I am going through a storm here with insurance also on my pickup. It wasn't a four legged torpedo like your Jeep though.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42974

Cal,
Very sorry to hear about your baby! A little hammer work, sanding and wait for it ........................................."buffing" and she'll be good as new. There feel better I hope? Unfortunately my wife can relate to you all too well. We call her the "deer magnet". She's hit two, one actually hit her, Kamikazied right into the drivers rear quarter of our 6 month old Grand Prix, back in 2004.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43004

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks, I feel better now. While waiting for all the insurance crap to settle I'll have time to do some boat work. I'll be working on the Gator fenders and probably start polishing some of the aluminum pieces. Just the small parts that I can put aside when something else comes up, not like resin setting up or two part paint getting a short pot life. Finding out some aspects of the insurance trade that leave a bad taste in my craw. That's another string.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43052

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Finished the Gator fenders this afternoon, all in primer.

The rest of the afternoon I got sidelined.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43186

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
63 Sabre wrote:

I really miss one of you guys saying "That'll buff out"

Opps I havnt checked this thread for a little bit ...Thatll Buff Out .....I dont know why Deers chouse suicide alot this time of year ..Must be the thought of Hunting season coming ..They never carry good Insurance either ..Boats getting there .. Keep at her when you can .
Larry

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43194

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Might be the start of an early rutt. Some trees are starting to turn already. I'll be buffing this week while waiting for the insurance company to cough up with the cash so I can pick up parts. They were not happy that I am doing the job myself because the kickbacks won't be coming their way. The week will be starting on some of the aluminum pieces. If the weather cooperates I'll squirt the last coat of white on the hull and them I can get it on the trailer to make some extra room for the wife's car. She's not happy with it sitting in the driveway.

Once I get it on the trailer the inside of the hull can be painted with spatter or swirl then I will start the topside finish sanding. Have to remove the screws and 2x4's that I am using for support and fill those small holes. I think I decided on a sunburst yellow for the final color after seeing some of the posts of other boats.
Seems like I keep rowing but not moving.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43565

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Back to the Herters again, finally. Working oh getting the aluminum keel cleaned up so I can put it back on, get the hull back on the trailer. Finished up the repairs on my tow vehicle all but the paint which I will do today. Not bad for what the insurance company called total. I did it all with a buffer.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43569

Not bad for what the insurance company called total. I did it all with a buffer

NICE!

Hey Cal, now you can bring the Sabre to the Thuroughbred Roundup. ;)

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43843

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Finally got back to the job at hand. Ground down the deep gouges in the aluminum keel with a stiff wire on my Milwaukee grinder. Laquered it. Set it down on the hull for a "test fit" actually wanted to see how it looked. Monday I will bolt it on using 5200 as a sealer, that will make it a real permanent blend of materials.
This week the schedule calls for putting new 2X's on the trailer bunks with carpet, running a lazer down the center rollers and getting enough beer to lure the neighbors into my den to carefully left, flip and set it on the trailer, set the new bunks to fit and then start on the inside of the hull.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43845

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Waterwings, the weekend of the roundup is a family reunion at Whistling Straits. The Sabre is going to dry rot soon if I don't get it in the water, only been out once this year and here we're in the middle of Sept already. It's been a busy year, only took the RV out once too.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43861

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Got my trailer about 90% done today - lights all work and just small details to ad . Here's what Sunburst Yellow looks like. I'm going to have my boat Red & White so I added some red highlights to the trailer. Nice job on your tow rig. Can't believe how fast you work and what you get done !!
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43866

• MarkS
Cal, are you hiding a crew of workers over there that help with your projects? Man, I'm envious of your production rate & quality of your work. Make the neighbors wait until after the boat is on the trailer for the libations, we don't want them getting tipsy and dropping it! :P

The TeeNee looks great Rick, nice work. ;)

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43878

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Rick, WOW! Fantastic job, are those fender tailights for real? Right down to the decals. Red wheels set it off. Can't wait to see a boat sitting on top.
Mark, I've got gremlins that come out at night, do the work and then go into hiding at sunrise, sorta like the little shoemaker

:laugh:
Working on the Heep was long hours into early mornings, like 4am. I need it for work so taking my time wasn't an option.

With the Herters I have this visiion of it finished on the trailer and that won't happen dragging the feet. The encouragement, ideas, and advice from all of you helps a lot.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43964

Cal,
Roger that. Hope the reunion was fun. Decent show, only about 18 boats bit I did get a lot of info from the Miklos brothers, which is mostly why I went. The boat is coming along nicely, your doing great work.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43994

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob. Thanks for the update, I always have the intentions of getting to one of those roundups but something always comes up. It would be easier for me to just launch and motor across lake Michigan, couple of sammiches and some kool aid. Any pic of your woodie project? I kinda figured unlike me your the purest of the restorers which is great, I don't think I would have the paitence or pockets to do that. Haven't been on the Century site in awhile, the activity usually slows down this time of year until spring.
Have to pick up a tube of 5200 at West Marine today to use on the trailer keel.
Looking at the Herters tail fin caps, big cast aluminum pieces. The casts are full of pitholes and imperfections, impossible to polish up, don't know what I will do with those.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #43995

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob. Thanks for the update, I always have the intentions of getting to one of those roundups but something always comes up. It would be easier for me to just launch and motor across lake Michigan, couple of sammiches and some kool aid. Any pic of your woodie project? I kinda figured unlike me your the purest of the restorers which is great, I don't think I would have the paitence or pockets to do that. Haven't been on the Century site in awhile, the activity usually slows down this time of year until spring.
Have to pick up a tube of 5200 at West Marine today to use on the trailer keel.
Looking at the Herters tail fin caps, big cast aluminum pieces. The casts are full of pitholes and imperfections, impossible to polish up, don't know what I will do with those.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44005

Cal,
No movement on my resorter yet. Just researching first. Fortunately/unfortunately, depending how you look at it, mine is not so pure. The 283 Flagship is not original or period correct. So I already have a custom resorter. I'm not real familiar with the transmissions but mine must be hydraulic because of the throttle/gear shift handle isn't right.

Should have a gas peddle and the long handled floor shifter. Cushions and seat are wrong too.

Sorry, didn't mean to get your thread off on a tangent.

Your boat is coming along great by the way.

Bob
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44010

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
We could start another thread on the woody side. Can't really see the shifter but if it's a single lever it's possible someone upgraded to a velvet drive which is controled with a single cable. Thomas might know if any changes were made in production.
To keep this thread straight, I just finished bolting down the aluminum keel and will start on the trailer roller and bunk alignment.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44026

bob,when you were here you should have said you need a foot pedal,i have that hotfoot i showed you from a gw invader.
sabre,im going to have the same problem with my flying fish,i have pitting in my aluminum also,i wonder if they make aluminum filler/solder?john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44029

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, When I'm to that point which is a long way away I'll check into some of the local metal shops we have in the metro Green Bay area. Chrome shops did some polishing on my SS cutwater a few years back. They probably have all the proper equipment to do a job like that if they come up with a reasonable price line. Dale Kocian who does excellent classic gauge restoration for classics lives in our area also and I can collect on some favors ;)
Either way I will keep you posted.
Have you cut your honey do list a little, the carosel horse, nephews project boat?

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44070

John,
Thanks but didn't know it until after the show , picking the brains of the experts.

Cal,
If your going to paint over the Aluminum then you can probably get away with JB Weld to fill in the file/sand down ready to paint. Just a thought.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44093

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Painting the aluminum would be a very last resort. I had given some thought to wire brushing it or putting some type of swirl on it and then a few heavy coats of high gloss laquer, time to experiment I guess.
As I mentioned today I bolted the aluminum keel down using 5200 as a sealer after that I welded a foot type tongue jack on the trailer, tomorrow I have to pick up a treated 2X4 for the bunks, already have the carpet.

The tongue jack.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44127

cal,i started working on the carousel horse today,im going to put it in nbr forum.
the nephew hasnt been around in awhile ,and now hes in school,so i pulled his boat out yesterday,thank goodness i put it on the rolling boat rack.lol.
bob im not sure the hotfoot would be the correct one for your boat but its yours if you want it,i only paid 40 for it awhile back but you can have it free.
cal i was looking at this stuff,but its probably not going to buff to a shine. cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Evercoat-Metal-Metal-Aluminum-Reinforced-Filler-Qt-/370541190714?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5645f9de3a

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44128

oh yeah,i forgot ,i got the original 1958/59 herters catalog on the way,i bought it at ebay,very cheap,its supposed to be in excelent condition,i will scan the boat related pages and copy them and send them to you,ill also send them to fiberglassics for their library.john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44150

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wow John, that would be great, thanks. Doing some finish work on the trailer, bunks, carpet, saftey chains etc.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44153

cal,i was just looking in the aluminum boat section,and todd williams asked about aluminum boat repair,the professer and mark ,said "lumiweld",and put a link up for it.
i wonder if we can use it to fill the pitting in our aluminum hardware and such,with it,maybe we can sand and buff the stuff?its just a thought,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44184

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Saw your post John, time to wait for some feedback. I COULDN'T WAIT ANY LONGER.
After putting the bunks on the trailer I went for broke. Same way I flipped my Woodie so what the heck.
Lots of pictures. Getting ready

Heere we goooooo
And finally......
I used a small block and tackle on the stern and went for overkill with a three ton chainfall on the bow, ya never know...

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44187

• MarkS
You're a brave man, Cal! :ohmy: (The steel beam in the ceiling is a nice touch, comes in handy I'll bet.) Nice work as usual, thanks for sharing the procedure pics.

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #44199

Cal, Excellent, I wish I had that setup but alas no room in the shed to do that. May have to call some friends and offer beer for a boat flipping party once the v-8 is pulled from the Resorter. Your hull looks awesome can't wait to see how the top goes. ;)

Bob

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7158 guests and 2 members online