Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1959 Herters rebuild

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40335

Cool, so far so good. 258 is a lot of holes. It'll be nice for you to be able to start from scratch.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40363

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
It's going to be like starting from a fresh mold pop out. I just hope it turns out as good as my minds eye pictures it. Thanks for the encouragement. Just keep pulggin'n away.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40380

boy sabre your going along pretty good,im watching with much interest,because i have to restore mine thats in pretty bad shape.
your doing great,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40394

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Just keep pluggin' away John. I was watching to see if you had started on your fish yet but you have so many irons in the fire it's probably not high on the priority list. Looking at the blue bomb you have is what inspired me to get the red rocket.
I picked up a goat boat today for parts. I needed a windshield, steering setup, decent trailer and some extras. I'll post the Doner, sacrificial lamb I call it on another thread.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40414

your sure right about too many irons in the fire,lol.just finished some nbr stuff,i probably wont get to the fish till next year,im hoping my nephew shows up so we can get started on the boat i gave him.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40422

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
How about the horse, is that finished yet?

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40447

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
"Parts is Parts" I guess. Got a beautiful unblemished tilting windshied, a Morse chrome single lever control, a push pull steering setup with a solid metal steering wheel and a 14 gallon fuel tank 3/4 full. All fit my project.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40450

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice score(s), I'd say you came out like a bandit! :P
(I found a great "parts donor" boat for my project, but it's too far away. Just wasn't meant to be, YET. At the rate I'm going, I've got plenty of time.)

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40454

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I scour EBay and Craigslist and got lucky. Listed the old trailer that was under the fish on the Craigs last night and already got three hits. I surfed the net last night and looked up what it would have cost to purchase these part separate and it was close to a grand. The Dorsett was far less. I'm stripping it now so parts are available for those who need 'em.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40459

63 Sabre wrote:

How about the horse, is that finished yet?

sabre,nope,lol,your right about too many irons in the fire,lol.
i just painted a door ,that goes in the porch/room we built this spring,then tomorrow my nephew is coming out to work on the boat i gave him.im going to post the other stuff in nbr.
keep plugging away ,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40467

• kajun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
that low cut swept back windshield is a great score....the tall windshields on herters don't look good..

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40469

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, I can't hold back anymore, I'm smiling inside. The Dorsett was $140 for the whole shebang and a running Evenrude Starflight II, The Gator trailer is what pushed me over the edge with it's cool fenders.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40470

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, I can't hold back anymore, I'm smiling inside. The Dorsett was $140 for the whole shebang and a running Evenrude Starflight II, The Gator trailer is what pushed me over the edge with it's cool fenders.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40474

• MarkS
Like I said, BANDIT! :woohoo:

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40492

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have limited funds, no deep pockets here so ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40547

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Didn't do anything on the fish today, spent all day stripping the Dorsett for parts, tomorrow the skeleton goes to the dump so I have room to work on the Herters again. The trailer is a Gator and has the neatest fenders with little fins and a grill type front.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40548

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The cool Gator fenders.

Pulling the Evenrude Starflight II and ready to sit on the shelf. Might part it out if I get some takers.

Ready for storage.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40594

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Didn't do much on the fish Wednesday, spent all day recovering parts from the sacrificial lamb. Its bones are going to the landfill on Thursday. Check out the cool fenders on the gator trailer. The fins work perfectly with the Herters. Fenders also have neat metal grillwork on the front.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40595

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sorry about the double post, something got screwed up but I got it fixed.
I am going to post the original trailer on the glassifieds section. I believe it is a Sears trailer with a buggy type spring system.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40649

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Not much to show for the day. Took the Dorsett shell to the boneyard cost $13 to dump it along side three other hulls. Did some more rough sanding and hole filling on the fish topside this afternoon. Should be able to finish up the sanding and filling tomorrow sometime and roll on a coat of high build then I will have some more pictures.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40699

man,i love those old gator fenders,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40701

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You know what's really perplexing is that back in the 50's the TeeNee trailers were considered cheap junk where I came from. At a boat auction a few years back one fella bid on a junker rotted glass boat with popler trees growing out of it and a rusty trailer under, got it for $5 just to haul it away but it had the rounded fenders on it. Now they are hard to find collectors...go figure! Like they said to Indy Jones, take a cheap watch, bury it for a thousand years and it will be priceless.
The Gator fenders just happened to be under the Dorsett, they will need some tlc but are in very good condition. Looking at the trailer it is one complicated so... Going to be really hard to clean up with so many curves, angles, braces, levers, and rollers but it looks like it could hold a battleship. Me thinks the September deadline for the project is a wee bit ambitious for one person.
Good to see the progress with your nephew, milk case and all. You know the metal milk carriers/boxes are becoming collectable now too.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40739

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Finally finished with the hole filling and sanding. Good to be done with that itchy twitchy feeling. Washed the whole thing with soap and water and then a good rinse, not too bad if I do say so myself. Seems the 50's gelcoat and glass tech needed a lot to be desires. Lots of air bubbles and pinholes in the gelcoat. Had to sand off three coats of paint, one off white, one dark blue and one red primer and then finally got to the red gelcoat. Rolled on the highbuild primer with a 3" roller to get good coverage. I'll light sand with 220 give another washjob and start with the spot filler.
I can now call this my clean slate.

The shiney is just the water from the rinse.

And then the primer.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40747

Call
Great progress so far. Looks good.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40756

• kajun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
sabre is there anyway you can post your pics at a higher resolution? that way when we click on it, it will give us a bigger and more detailed pic, you might have the change the resolution on your camera to a higher one to do this....also...are you gonna roll the whole thing.. primer and finish coat? or roll for primer and spray for finish?...what colors did you decide on?

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40781

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I can post the pictures larger but it takes longer to load. I have to reduce the size for posting from around 3000 pix to 300. I'll try next time. I just rolled the primer to get a heavy coat to fill the spider cracks. The high build primer works like a liquid Bondo, sets up in a few minutes so you have to work quickly. It can be sanded shortly after. Last evening after I spread the primer we had a rain shower 10 minutes later and it never affected the paint. I am going to spray the final coat, haven't decided on color yet buy I'm have some in mind.
This pictures is posted as original size over 3600 pix

I don't think it makes a difference I'm guessing the site automatically resizes.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40782

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Kajun, go the the main forum and click on the "paint question" thread and there is where I posted the paint I'm using.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40810

Cal,
Sorry fat fingered the last post on your name, DOH! It's looking good. I'm following for techniques. ;)

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40857

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Technique?? That's a misnomer. I kinda punt as I go. Get some tips and hints from you guys. I've worked on boats for 30 years off and on as a hobby, fixed 'em and sold 'em but never went into a glass boat this extensive. Aluminum is easier, just strip 'em with chemicals and repaint, recarpet, seats and put a price on them. My woodie was a 2 1/2 year ground up restore, frames and planks.
This flying fish is a challenge. Still doing the basics. I need to make out a game plan next. Anyone got advice on how to proceed?? The hull is ready for finish coat just need to wet sand it but I do not want to do that until I can put it on the trailer. The trailer is nothing but a rust bucket yet and needs a total teardown, grinding and paint, the topside needs finish sanding an spot filling. Then comes all the fit and finish, trim, brightwork, new steering, new controls, new wiring and on and on, you know the drill. Then comes the motor. The boat and motor were a matched set, 1959 Herters, 1959 Mark 58AE on a 1959 era trailer. The trailer is up for sale, I have the Gator to work on which I will start tomorrow and take pictures. For now topside will sit in primer alongside the bottom. I won't paint the topside until it's back married to the bottom because There will be some holes to repair when the 2x4 bracing is removed. I's enough to get ya going nuts.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40859

• MarkS
Yeah, but ain't we havin' fun !?!?! :laugh:

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40861

• dt750
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
looking good. I think the next step in the process, is to take a break from the fish come up here and glass the holes in my larson.....lol, your doing and awsome job.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40870

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Boy! Looking at the time of the reponses I see I'm not the only one who is up in the middle of the night.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40949

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sold the old trailer that the Herters was resting on today. Guy needed a trailer for his duck skiff. I put the two fish halves in storage for a short time while I start on the trailer. I need that finished so I can paint the hull and flip it on the trailer without having to take it off again. Lots of rust but the trailer is sound.
Taking it down to bare metal piece by piece.

Before the strip job.

After: The trailer is completely stripped down so individual pieces can be cleaned and painted. Started with the tongue which is down to bare metal ready for wash and prime.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40963

Cal,
Trailer is looking good. How did you clean it up, wire wheel, sanding disc??

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40992

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Bob, very labor intensive, wish there was an easier way for me. I decided it would be easier to do it piece by piece, can get a better job and do it right. I'm takiing strip-ease and letting it sit for about 20 minutes and then wire brushing with my 4" Milwaukee grinder. Works good but it requires the full coverall clothes, gloves and goggles. PS, don't park your car too close to the flying paint stripper. The smaller parts for the rollers/bunks I will just wire brush to metal and prime. I plan on painting the trailer white to match the hull of the Herters and highlight the fenders with whatever color I decide for the boat topside. Gotta have matching fins on the trailer and boat ya know.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #40999

Looking nice. I just did my TeeNee trailer. It's re-do is in the trailer section. I used grey. Since I will have no real trailer queen I wanted something that looks OK dirty. :P I have a lot of time into that trailer. But you what, I like the looks of it. I need a roller for the back.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #41015

Robert,
Looks good buddy. Good idea about the color regarding dirt.

Cal,
I still have to do my trailer but I think I'm going to blast it. I have the compressor and one of those cheapy blasting handle/hose combose from the traveling tool shows. I figure I'll just stuff the pipe and in the bag of sand and blast away with the trailer outside I'm waiting until the boat season is over so i won't care that the boat is on blocks and get the trailer done. Then on to the Century.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #41016

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Robert, looks teriffic, wish I was that far along.

Bob, I had one of those blasters a long time ago, couldn't get my compressor to push enough air to make it work decent, pipes kept plugging up. I think it's still hanging in my basement somewhere. I got some price estimates for a blast job and it all depended if there were lights, wheels, wires, blah blah. Cheapest was $350 and up. Too rich for my shallow pockets. My labor is cheap and I think the gallon of stripper was $18.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #41031

Cal,
Thanks for the heads up, had the thing for years and never tried it! Compulsive buy while at the show, along with some other "useful" tools. Thought about getting one of the Harbor Freight pressurized blaster tanks, when they go real cheap.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #41081

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Just did some more grinding on the trailer today, got the tongue in white primer. The other half is getting on my case to get things done around the house, power wash and paint the deck, scrub bsmt steps, edge the walks and gardens. That's no fun! I have to sneak a trailer piece in when she's not looking.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.363 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8187 guests and 3 members online