Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How CRAZY is this???

How CRAZY is this??? 6 years 5 months ago #134882

I tore down a late inline-6 that I had started and found to be pretty noisy internally.
Decent compression, but way too noisy IMHO.
It had been "recently rebuilt", but unknown to did it.
It had new gaskets & aerobic sealant at the crankcase-to-block seam.
The compression ranged between 130 - 135.
I couldn't believe what I found.
The initial general observations that raised suspicion included:
The top crankshaft bearing was seized in the end cap & easily slipped off the crankshaft.
The lower main bearing was also seized onto the end-cap, as well as having a correct pressed-on fitting onto the crankshaft.
The surface of the lower end cap was beat up, as if it had been the victim of internal carnage.
I lifted the rotating assembly , and found all the rings were free, but the skirts of #3 & #4 were significantly scored.
Then, when I inspected the block - I couldn't believe what I saw.
Although there is no visible damage to piston #6,...This poor beast had obviously suffered a previous extreme catastrophic failure in the #6 cylinder, and it had been "honed" (maybe?), and reassembled.
I have attached a few pictures of the damage resulting from a previously experienced failure.
Would any of you guys rebuild this block, after seeing the carnage seen in the attached pictures???
IMHO,...this crap is either off the chart, or I am too detail orientated & anal in my selections of a rebuild-able block.
doc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How CRAZY is this??? 6 years 5 months ago #134886

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Pretty sure that is why my rebuilt 1000 does NOT sound like that and runs quiet and smooth because the internal cylinder had NONE of the damage. Yikes. Isn’t this a case of if you only have one block to use that you over bore if you can clean up... and if not, then re-sleeve? ... or turn into a parts block and shop for another motor?

Dr.Go!

How CRAZY is this??? 6 years 4 months ago #135094

The nick in the port is a worry, it could catch a ring and that will be the end of it. Usually marks below the ports are not too much of a concern if the ring does not touch them, but in all honesty I think I would scrap the block as there is a lot of liner distorsion as well evident. Should be fairly easy to find a replacement for that model.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

noimage
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)