Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to Fiberglassics 1970 Edinboro

New to Fiberglassics 1970 Edinboro 5 years 1 month ago #138956

Hi, I'm new here to the fiberglassic forums. I found this website on my current hunt to identify a new prospective hull I'd like to save. This past summer I restored my 1970 MFG Edinboro. I pulled it out of an older gentleman's back yard where it had sat for 10+ years. After acquiring my new vessel in April, my dad and I had the transom replaced and the boat outfitted with the necessary equipment by June. We were let down by the original 50 mariner I had purchased, so I wasn't able to actually get the boat in the water until mid-july when I had successfully sourced another motor. I currently plan to refine all the electrical systems I put in place last summer, and add some niceties like a bimini top and such. I was able to recreationally lobster off of her, even though it's a little tight. I attached some of the process pictures I took along the way. I am willing to share more, I just wanted to introduce myself and share my story with the group as I had posted in the sightings forum earlier about my search to identify another hull I found.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to Fiberglassics 1970 Edinboro 5 years 1 month ago #138958

Welcome aboard!

I've never seen the hull of an MFG painted like that. They are finished in an off-white gel coat from the factory, but yours is very good looking. Looks kind-of like a Lyman hull paint job.

MFG made a total of 5 different lapstrake hulls that were styled after a Lyman. Yours is officially the last year they were officially made, but in fact, they could be special ordered until 1973, when MFG phased out production of all the molded hulls made with matched metal dies and formed under heat and pressure. All other MFG boats were conventionally built with hand layup methods. MFG got out of the boat business in 1980.

I have a 1962 Edinboro, with the Sun 'n Fun seats. The last year those seats were available was 1969. I've attached a photo. While the hulls stayed the same, the deck. molded and attached separately, evolved over the years, as did the seats and other interior bits.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captn_Tuck

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

New to Fiberglassics 1970 Edinboro 5 years 1 month ago #138959

Thanks for the kind welcome! The boat actually came in that off-white gel coat finish you described when I first got it. My dad and I wanted to give it a new lease on life look, so we came up with this paint job based off some boats we have seen on the waterfront. I attached two more pictures of the original shape of the boat. I really like those Fun 'n Sun seats, my Edinboro came bare with remnants of the interior pieces.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)