Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1958 Celeron

1958 Celeron 4 years 8 months ago #140187

Well Guys,
My wife has been after this boat for a long time. It was listed here but they always wanted too much money for it. Finally got to a number we both liked and now it is in my garage. Plan to take everything off the boat remove the seats so I can get the floor up sanded and painted. As for everything else I will sand all of that too and was wondering what I should put back on it? Is there a source for all the original decals, stickers and badges? For the fiberglass I am sure I cannot get the yellowing out at this point. Should I take it somewhere and get it painted? Really want to make this like new. Once I get it off the trailer will have that sandblasted and I have access to a paint booth. Two more things. Any source for the rubber molding at the bottom of the windshield and a source for the rub rail. Is the spot light a stock item?
Sorry just my mind is very ADD/OCD LOL
Thanks in advance!
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1958 Celeron 4 years 8 months ago #140209

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
The following user(s) said Thank You: dlearl476

Dr.Go!

1958 Celeron 4 years 8 months ago #140260

MFG emblem decals for your boat are available here:

www.vinylapproach.com/replacementboatlogos.htm

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

1958 Celeron 4 years 7 months ago #140450

Guys,
Is this the original color of the hull or has it darkened over the years? Of all the things I want to do to bring it back to damn near showroom condition this has me the most worried. Should I paint it white, can it be rubbed out or am I just trying to do something that should not be done?
Thanks,
Tim

1958 Celeron 4 years 7 months ago #140513

Your boat hull looks pretty good. Many MFGs from that era tend to yellow with age. To refinish, choice are to re-gel-coat or paint. Painting with a modern paint that can be sprayed is a lot cheaper - easier to spray and much less post-painting polishing needed. That said, to make it like the original, gel-coat is better. So your choice.

One option is to do any repairs needed and then spot gel-coat. It's hard to match and something I would leave to a professional restorer of fiberglass boats.

I took that route with my 1962 Edinboro and it came out pretty well.
Attachments:

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)