Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '63 MFG, what model?

'63 MFG, what model? 3 years 6 months ago #143313

I'm looking at an MFG, owner says it's a '63. What model does this look like? It's over 2 hours from me so I can't just stop by to look at it. I keep telling myself I won't get involved in another glass boat due to rot problems but this looks easily fixed.
www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/357797541850528/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'63 MFG, what model? 3 years 6 months ago #143314

have you checked the Glassic Library tab on the top of the page ?
Kind of looks like a 63 ?

'63 MFG, what model? 3 years 6 months ago #143316

Had trouble getting the MFG library link to work but finally got to it going though th we main menu. I was mainly wondering about the model, thought '63 was correct. Not sure if it's a Niagra or what. I tried searching for pictures or rebuild threads but using my phone is a PITA.
Finding someone's rebuild thread would be great. This glasser not having the traditional glassed in stringers and floor is kinda appealing, for a glasser lol.
Also like to see some detailed pictures of the transom on these so I would have an idea what I'd be getting into without having to drive 2+ hours to look at this one.

'63 MFG, what model? 3 years 6 months ago #143317

Ok, something doesn't look right with this boat. The aluminum structure in one of the pictures. All of the pictures I've been finding here are glass stringers, looks like someone has been molesting this hull. May just have to make a hard pass and consider this one junk.
Attachments:

'63 MFG, what model? 3 years 6 months ago #143327

I'm thinking the aluminum frames are original. I have a shorter MFG 1960 ? that have similar frames I paid 100 bucks for mine without a motor. www.fiberglassics.com/forum/mfg-owners-group/132049-1959-mfg.html
DAVNAU6345 is the MFG expert. Wait till he chimes in. He'll be able to nail down the model. I'm guessing the 350 price is because of the motor ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: FrankenCub

'63 MFG, what model? 3 years 6 months ago #143328

Chuck in Cincinnati wrote: I'm thinking the aluminum frames are original. I have a shorter MFG 1960 ? that have similar frames I paid 100 bucks for mine without a motor. www.fiberglassics.com/forum/mfg-owners-group/132049-1959-mfg.html
DAVNAU6345 is the MFG expert. Wait till he chimes in. He'll be able to nail down the model. I'm guessing the 350 price is because of the motor ?

Ok, weird, all the literature I've been seeing show fiberglass stringers. Maybe I'm just not finding the correct model/year. I assume the price is reflecting the engine. I don't know anything about those engines either lol. I'm a stern drive kinda guy.
Any way to tag him to get his attention to this thread?

'63 MFG, what model? 3 years 6 months ago #143332

I have the same engine on my 63 Westfield Custom. It's 40hp and pushes my boat at about 23 when I'm alone. If you look closely it says "Selectric Shift" on the front of the motor. Mine has the same push button electric shift and it works great. HOWEVER, I'm told that they fail from time to time, at which point parts are truly scarce and expensive. If you get that boat/engine, you might want to be sure the controls are present and working.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FrankenCub

'63 MFG, what model? 3 years 6 months ago #143338

The boat shown on Facebook Marketplace is a 1961 Edinboro. Without the interior, it's hard to tell for sure, but that style windshield was used in 1961. I have a 1962 Edinboro and that was the first year for the fiberglass stringers and floor, along with the Sun 'N Fun seats.

The boat for sale will need a ton of interior work, including remounting the aluminum stringers, new floor, seats, plus whatever is wrong with the hull and deck. With motor, $350 is fair. Edinboros are 16' 6" long, via centerline.

My 1962 Edinboro picture is attached - Big Red. That boat was completely restored, except it does have most of the original seats. Unless you do it all yourself, restorations can be quite expensive.

Also have a 1966 Niagara. Got lucky and that one is original and unrestored - Little Blue. A Niagara is 14' 4" centerline.
Attachments:

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)