Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145500

Hello all,

I recently purchased an MFG Cambridge - 1957 (I think it is a Cambridge). The previous owner had the boat in a temporary shelter which leaked, the mahogany deck will need to be replaced. Any tips/tricks or things not to do in this endeavor? I have fully restored a sailboat - I confess I am a sailor, but have always loved vintage runabouts. I am not afraid of the work and have skilled carpenters that I work with that can assist though they are not boat builders.
I also have another question concerning the ribs. They look like fiberglass cord? Does that sound right? I just got the boat home from Michigan and will be taking it down to my warehouse so that I can dis-assemble and check/repair the keelson, the thru-hull attachments etc. I will be attaching photos soon. Thanks to all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145508

Welcome to Fiberglassics ! Yes the ribs are fiberglass. Wait for Davnau6345 to reply he'll give more info. He is the MFG Guru
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pirate Princess

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145529

Well thank you so kindly! I took the photos at high resolution so they are too big to upload here. I will downsize them and upload to this site. At first I saw the ribs and thought "gee, why did they paint over rotted wood?" As the appearance is not of nice sanded and finished wood. Then I saw where the ribs terminated and saw some fiberous cord at the unfinished edges and realized it was most likely fiberglass. I have much to learn, though this won't be as complicated as the sailboat I restored, just different. I am so excited to have this boat and I stand corrected, it is a 1956 and the motor is vintage as well.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145530

Ok I just tried to upload smaller versions of the photos of my MFG. Why are all the photos coming in upside down? I posted to the moderator and the photos showed upside down but once they landed on the page, they were correct.

Ok so here are photos of my recent purchase, a Cambridge, correct?

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145536

Hi, I have a 57 Cambridge that I replaced most of the wood on several years ago. I would be happy to share photos or answer any questions that I have experience with.
Peter

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145537

Thanks Peter!

This will be a winter project and hopefully hit the water next summer. I wold love to see photos of your restoration. The foredeck needs replacement on mine. Did you replace yours? I need to get the "curve" correct and make sure it stays fast. I know there are techniques for bending plywood but this is my main reason for reaching out to the MFG owners for recommendations on the technique used to create the curve in the plywood etc.

Thank you!

Karen

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145539

Bending the plywood is no problem it's only 1/4" thick. I'll send you my photos.
Take lots of photos as you remove pieces and be careful with them because you might need them for patterns. Note how everything was attached and save fasteners if you can

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145540

Thank you, yes indeed. When I restored my sailboat there were tons of pieces, putting them into Talenti jars and labeling were a must! Thanks for the info on bending the plywood, I thought it would be more daunting.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145541

I have a Question Princess ?
The wood splash rail.... Is it all wood ? or it inlayed on an aluminum strip ?
I have aluminum strips with no wood. I'm guessing my MFG is a 59 ?
BTW... on you your simplex outboard controls, if you don't like the dull black and red knobs ?
Mc Master Carr has some shiny ones pretty cheap
www.mcmaster.com/knobs/threaded-hole-ball-knobs-6/
Really pretty boat by the way !

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145545

Here is a link to some photos that I took during restoration and some photos that I took of another boat

photos.app.goo.gl/Y95wfcAsMF23VS4Y7
photos.app.goo.gl/PAK8wytZdWZwseMi9

If you can't download let me know. I also have some notes that I made. Somewhat cryptic but possibly helpful that I could send

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145546

Hi Pirate, I just looked at the photos of your boat. It looks like my boat after restoration! I don't think you will need anything that I sent but might be fun to look at.
Peter

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145549

Peter,

Wow, what a restoration you did on your boat! I noticed the windshield is all wood, I have seen some with wood and some with the metal frame and plex, is one factory or both styles factory? I am very familiar with McMaster Carr so will look up that link. The biggest issue is the foredeck with has rot spots in it from the leaks. I also noticed that termination point of the ribs, the fiberglass cord is just hanging out there, I am thinking of trimming those loose ends it to make the boat look a bit more ship-shape. It looks like the caulking/sealant where the transom and hull meet looks a bit gloppy on my boat, I may try to clean it up a bit for a cleaner look. I am fortunate in that I found this boat with not much work to be done. The supports for the benches are the aluminum tubing which I will be crafting some teak/mahogany pieces to fit over those - possibly with wine glass holders!

I was at lunch with a friend out at a restaurant near a very old lake in the Kansas City area, this lake is now a residential lake, but way back when it was a weekend getaway type of lake with many old vintage boats. At my table on the wall was a framed newsletter from the lake dated 1957, in the newsletter was an ad for Lyman. I was just telling my friend about the MFG and how they came about. We both were curious though, if once Lyman turned down the offer by MFG to make their boats, was there a copyright infringement since MFG used the same design? I am curious to know.

One last question. I see you used Total Boat, do you like the product? I have used other stuff from West Marine in years past and used the technique of thinning it 50/50 to start so it would soak in and each subsequent coat would be less thinner so that you get a high sheen and protection. What was your application process? Thanks so much! Photo attached of the Lyman ad.
Attachments:

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145553

Hi Pirate, this is my first boat purchased after 70+ years so I'm not an expert. As I might have mentioned we paid $1 for it from Craigs list including Evinrude Lark 35 motor (owners manual free online) and Gator trailer. At first I thought it was a wood hull and thought no way! I think the windshield was available both ways judging from the period ads. Can't help you with the fiberglass question. How long does fiberglass last? The transom is a continuous part of the fiberglass hull. The wood sandwich serves to stiffen it and make it look nice. I used Total Boat because I saw it mentioned a lot by boat restorers (also Epifanes). I had some problems with peeling on varnish over old wood. Not sure why but no previous experience there. The front deck can be tacked down along the edges, make sure it gets covered up by the edge moulding later. Get it from a plywood or hard wood distributor. The stuff from lumber yards can be trash.
Good luck
Peter

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145555

Thank you for the info Peter, much appreciated. I have purchased marine type plywood from a company called World Panel Products. They specialize in things of this sort, teak, mahogany, both plywood and solid wood. Wow, a dollar! And tons of love apparently! I paid $1200 for mine, which I thought wasn't too bad considering it doesn't really need any structural work and included the motor and trailer. When I started my search for a vintage boat I was shocked what boats like Chris Craft, Streblow, Thompson and Lyman were going for in very rough condition. I don't have deep pockets and also didn't want to do the uptake process and all of the maintenance that an all wood boat would require, so after a few years of searching I found this MFG and couldn't be happier.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 6 months ago #145556

Chuck,

I think the splash rail is all wood, I have not fully inspected it yet. I will certainly look up the link on McMaster Carr, I have purchased items from them in the past. I was lucky in that the boat really doesn't need much. Thank you! I am excited to be here on this forum!
Karen

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 5 months ago #145720

Welcome to MFG Cambridge ownership. Like you, I also have a sailboat and love to sail off the Southern California coast. My Cambridge is strictly a Newport Beach bay cruiser but the reception I get from other boaters is fantastic. Getting a “thumbs up” from a million dollar yacht owners is quite satisfying.
My boat was a mess, But with lots of sanding and patients, I was able to save the wood. Four coats of varnish and she will be a head turner. I see you have a Tee Née trailer and a period outboard. You have an absolute WINNER. BTW, the history of MGF is outstanding. The make the body panels for GM Corvettes. So I named my Cambridge “SeaVette”.
Attachments:

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 3 months ago #146034

Congrats on the "new" MFG. I have the same boat. I purchased from the family who bought it, it was stored in a barn for 10 years after the last use. Once I got the 1960 Johnson engine running I had it out about 10 times this summer. What a great boat. Just can't take it out in the wind or you will definitely get soaked. Can't wait to see your photos.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 3 months ago #146084

Could you all take a look under the dashboard and see if there is a number written in pencil. My sticker on the left side inside the hull is very faded, but readable. Low and behold, the number inside the dashboard is the same. Based on your paperwork photos, I think mine is 1956?

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 2 years 3 months ago #146093

I will try to remember to take a look under the dash on my boat. I currently have it in a garage at my dad's house. As for boating when windy - I save those days for my sailboat. The MFG will be for windless days and evenings when I don't feel up to setting sails. I hope to get started on the boat soon, I had a work project that has taken all of my time and is coming to an end soon. Thank you all! I hope 2022 finds us being able to show off our vintage boats. I noticed that the prices on older boats are going up and up. I would like to think the MFG was a good investment, but honestly I don't care, I bought it for its vintage appeal and the beautiful wood.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 year 9 months ago #146773

Good to see folks working on the old 15 foot MFGs from the '50s. Many are still around here in NE Ohio.

Sorry for not being on this forum for much of the last year. Been buried doing club work with both AOMCI and ACBS but finally seeing some daylight.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 10 months 4 days ago #148028

I have the same boat. Your's looks great! Mine is still all original, I haven't done a restoration. It does leak, so I cannot leave it on a dock overnight. I have a 57 with a 40 hp Johnson Sea Horse. Love the boat. You should be able to see my pics I've posted of it below.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 8 months 3 hours ago #148348

What a beautiful restoration!
I restored my '59 Celoron (very similar) but it had many less structural issues. Been in the family since new. Just replaced the inside full length keel and floorboards. Over the years I replaced the transom, front seat, dash, rubstrip and veneer on the deck.
Planning to get in the water next week.
Cheers

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 month 4 weeks ago #148668

Hi all, unfortunately I was unable to start my restoration as I was dealing with a death in the family. But now starting to tackle restoring the MFG (Money Flows Generously). I have it down at my business warehouse and when working on work projects have had to move the boat outside. One day last summer it rained a small bit, allowing water into the cockpit. I noticed the boat dripping and see that the space between the hull and the transom does indeed leak. That explains the large globs of silicone the previous had jammed in there. I know that as a boat moves though the water, there is flexing. What is recommended to seal this joint? I was thinking 4200 but I am thinking maybe something else would be more effective?

The other question I have is the 1957 Evinrude motor. When I transported the boat back to Kansas City from Michigan, I had the owner place the motor on the back seat so all of that weight wasn't riding on the transom. I had to use a forklift to hoist the motor up out of the boat and onto a stand. The 35 HP seems a bit overkill for the length of the boat. I am interested to know what HP you all use and also what vintage. I did find a fun video where a guy had taken a modern motor and "vintagized" it by using an old motor cowling over the top of the current motor. He filled the gap between the 2 covers with foam. But still thinking about what to do. I cannot lift the old Evinrude onto the boat myself. Heck it is all I can do to get my 5 hp on my sailboat. I don't plan to water ski or go zooming all over but want enough power to move the boat nicely. Any thoughts or recommendations are most welcome. Thank you in advance guys!

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 month 3 weeks ago #148669

I saw a video where a restorer used thixoflex on seams of a Lyman boat to seal it. It may work for you ? But do some research to see if it suits your needs.
. Good luck on your restoration quest !
Attachments:

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 month 3 weeks ago #148670

Thank you Chuck!

I did not realize that Lyman's planks were plywood. I will check out the Total Boat product. Something is telling me that I need to take apart the "sandwich" at the transom. I may need to strengthen and fill that joint first with fiberglass, but will need to be careful that the sandwich goes back together. Thanks so much!

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 month 3 weeks ago #148671

is your transom fiberglass or wood ?

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 month 3 weeks ago #148672

It is wood but from what I understand that there is a sandwich, where there is wood on both sides of possibly the fiberglass hull, I will take a closer look as I start to disassemble.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 month 3 weeks ago #148673

Regarding the MFG transom, on my 1959 Celoron the fiberglass does sandwich in between the outboard mahogany plank transom and the inner plywood / veneer transom piece. A thin plastic "T" seals the gap at the top of the transom. Possibly leaking from the bolt holes along the low part of the transom, which are under the waterline.
Mine leaks when first in the water from the bolt holes in the wooden keel. I have tried thick marine paint, and Lexel which helps, but I would be wary leaving it in the water all week. And every time it goes on the trailer it breaks the paint seal on the keel!
Cheers

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 month 3 weeks ago #148674

It will be interesting to see what I find when I open the sandwich. I am fortunate in that I have a small warehouse where the boat will be stored indoors when not in use. I strive to do things correctly which results in many hours of research and work put into the boat, so it will not live outdoors! Thank you so much for your reply.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 month 3 weeks ago #148675

Please share the documentation of your process as you move forward. I have the same boat with a leaking issue at the transom. I left it docked one night and it sank. The boat is a blast but I know I am going to have to remove and replace the transom at some point and what you are about to attack will really help others who end up in the same boat. Pun intended.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 month 3 weeks ago #148676

I certainly will do so! I have experience mitigating issues on a 25' sailboat so this should be more straightforward. I will take photos and also document products used and results. I love working on boats.

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 month 3 weeks ago #148680

As for your motor question ? I'm pretty sure one member on this site had a modern OB motor that he stripped the newer brand decals and badging. Then re-painted it vintage colors and put old style decals to give the illusion it is a vintage OB ?
I think he started with a Honda and re-decaled it into an Evinrude ? Jut a thought to get you thinking

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 1 month 3 weeks ago #148681

That is an interesting idea. What I was thinking was more complicated. I will see how tired of the project I am once I get the hull and deck issues resolved. I have access to a gantry that I might be able to lift the boat a bit to access the keelson. Anyone else have ideas for hoisting the boat to get at the bottom - other than flipping it?

New MFG Cambridge owner, I have questions 3 weeks 15 hours ago #148714

Hey Peter,

I just got off a computer chat with a rep at West Marine, probably the most frustrating conversation ever. I was asking them what type of paint they recommend for the interior of a runabout that is previously painted fiberglass. Of course, she replied with non-skid, I told her that was not necessary because the majority of the areas I wish to paint are not areas where people are stepping. In order to get her off that track I said that the plywood sitting on the ribs would be nonskid (not really). But she would not get off the non-skid track. Do you have a recommendation of paint to use of the painted parts of the interior hull? I was looking at one part polyurethane paint. But not sure. Thank you in advance

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.332 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)