Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Old Style Pistol Grip Fishing Rod Reel Seat Mount

Old Style Pistol Grip Fishing Rod Reel Seat Mount 5 years 9 months ago #136666

I have two of these old style pistol grip fishing rods and they both have a problem with the reel seat. The old style has a screw on the bottom under the reel seat that pulls a small plastic tab down onto the reel foot and locks the reel to the rod. Well, I have a South Bend rod that the tab broke off but the screw is still in place and I have a Diawa rod that still has the tab in place but the screw is missing. I really like these rods and I want to fix them but I cannot seem to find replacement tabs and screws for this old style of reel seat. Does anyone know where I would find these parts to fix my rods? Thanks for any help. I wanna go fishing!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Old Style Pistol Grip Fishing Rod Reel Seat Mount 5 years 9 months ago #136668

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Sometimes in areas where there is a lot of fishing going on, there may be a person working out of their garage or home that does rod and reel repair either as a side job or even a full time business. Can you ask around your bait shops? Sometimes word of mouth can help you find them. I have seen people on vacation that were in a pinch take a small metal hose clamp and a wood wedge if needed and temporarily clamp that down. Have seen them cover it in electrical tape to smooth it out. They just didn’t have vacation time to waste and just needed more fish in the boat so they could eat fish for camp supper. I am sure other more experienced fisherman will have better answers for you and maybe even a name and number of their own local repair person that could send you those small parts. Sometimes I buy something broken from a flee market just to get my missing part. Good fishing to you!

Dr.Go!

Old Style Pistol Grip Fishing Rod Reel Seat Mount 5 years 9 months ago #136677

Thanks for the tips, I was thinking of hitting some thrift stores to see if I could find a junked out rod to get the parts from.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Old Style Pistol Grip Fishing Rod Reel Seat Mount 5 years 9 months ago #136686

Not a bad idea. If they're what I'm thinking they are, it shouldn't be too hard to make suitable replacements for them. You might also check your local Craig's List for rod & reel repair places too.

Old Style Pistol Grip Fishing Rod Reel Seat Mount 5 years 9 months ago #136739

I was able to remove the plastic tab from one rod with a punch and hammer, and removed the screw from the other rod and was able to fix one of my rods. Now I just need to fix the other one, but at least now I can fish with my old Zebco 33 classic!!! I bought that reel back in 1993 and it still casts great, that thing zings!!!

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Old Style Pistol Grip Fishing Rod Reel Seat Mount 5 years 8 months ago #137037

Hit the yard and church sales. Never know where you will find things. My favorite Rod I found in a pile of junk someone threw along the side of the road. I was looking for a name and address. I can't think of the name now but it was a very nice and seemed to be an expensive rod. Turned out people collect them.

Old Style Pistol Grip Fishing Rod Reel Seat Mount 5 years 8 months ago #137053

I went to the Goodwill store and found an old Zebco rod and reel combo that had exactly what I needed. I paid $1.46 for the whole thing!!! The reel was actually missing with all being left was the plastic 202 housing, and the rod was junk but all I needed was the tab and screw. I was able to fix both of my rods so, yay!!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Old Style Pistol Grip Fishing Rod Reel Seat Mount 5 years 8 months ago #137058

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Awesome. The fish better watch out now. Maybe I should visit our store more often. Good deal I would say.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat