Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a question about an other outboard? Scott, Ward and others are discussed here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Coil conversion?

Coil conversion? 9 years 3 months ago #103607

Has anyone here converted their outboard motor ignition coils to an automotive type? I have a '59 60hp Flying Scott by McCullogh. Always seem to have one cylinder that misses. About out of options for NOS coils. I saw a Scott motor that a guy had converted to automotive coils some time ago but never got to talk to the guy. Anyone here done this? Know how it could be done? And would it work better than stock coils?

Thanks for looking....

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Coil conversion? 9 years 3 months ago #103609

John,

I haven't converted a 60 HP Scott to automotive coils, but I have worked on the 58/59 three coil ignition systems as well as the 1960 single coil version. Actually, the three coil version is an automotive type ignition, it just has a coil and a set of points for each cylinder instead of using one set of points, one coil, and a distributor as Scott finally did in 1960. The big advantage is point life as the points only open one third the number of times a sngle point, single coil system does, but it is more complex, and in the case of the 58 and 59 Scott, mounting them on the bottom of the generator makes it almost impossible to adjust or change them.
Was the conversion you saw done with three automotive coils, or perhaps if it only had one coil it was a 1960 model?
There are a lot of variables to consider if you try to switch to automotive coils.
Saturation time will probably decrease causing coil heating. You may have to change the value of the ballast resistor. The automotive generator on the 59 only puts out 10 amps and switching to automotive coils could increase the amperage draw on the generator.
If you could find a battery igniton coil with a similar primary resistance and wattage size it might be possible to do.
I can check some of my 58/59 coils to see what the primary resistance is if that would help, but I am pretty convinced that you might get an automotive coil conversion to work for a while, but downstream, burned up coils or points are going to occur.

Don

Re:Coil conversion? 9 years 3 months ago #103616

Thanks, Don. Yes, the motor I saw had three auto-type coils. Darn, I wish I could find that guy! Are you willing to part with any of your '59 coils?

Re:Coil conversion? 9 years 3 months ago #103623

John,

I need to check my coil stash. I have three, but I don't know if they are 58 or 59. They mount differently, but you can make the 58 coils fit on the 59 with a little work. I'll send you an email on what I have.

Don

Re:Coil conversion? 9 years 3 months ago #103790

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Maybe use Chrysler battery ignition coils? They are about half the size of a old school car can coil.

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 10143 guests and no members online