Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a question about an other outboard? Scott, Ward and others are discussed here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1970 Johnson 33hp- missing pieces?! Help!

1970 Johnson 33hp- missing pieces?! Help! 5 years 8 months ago #136977

Hello, just bought an outboard for a 1961 MFG I'm trying to restore and need some help. It's a Johnson with model no# EL33-70M

I FINALLY found one in my budget, but now I'm afraid I'm in over my head. I was already an hour from home and didn't want to go back empty handed..

He said he pulled a plug on the lower unit, but turns out it wasn't for the gear oil, it was a connecting pin? And the shaft inside dropped down. older gentleman, said he did the same thing to a nearly identical motor a few years ago, and was a relatively easy job with a helper to keep things in place? I only see one empty hole, which I think is gear oil too. It's right below the fill level screw. Pic attached of the area and the screw provided. He also said it was in good shape, but when I got there said they had swapped the carb with another one from a boat they needed to sell, and this carb is missing some pieces...not happy! Not even sure what I'm missing though. Something about the idle screws.

I'm good with cars, but small engines seen to be pickier...and very little experience with marine.

I did a compression test and both cylinders were 90psi - any idea the spec?

Any help would be appreciated! they said they found a used carb at local marina and would call ahead for me, but it was $75 and I'd rather try and find what I'm missing if possible.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1970 Johnson 33hp- missing pieces?! Help! 5 years 8 months ago #136981

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
You possibly might get more help if you list this same post under the J.E.G.O. Forum for Johnson. Evinrude. Gail. Other. And though I am not knowledgeable with Johnson or Evinrude, but if that screw you are showing has a magnetic end, it is likely for the gear lube fluid and it attracts any metal shavings from gear wear so that it doesn’t keep floating around and act like grit to grind between gear surfaces causing further and faster wear. A tiny bit of Hair like metal might be normal depending on last time it was checked. Big chips or broken chunks likely would scare me and I would call in the experts. Remember, I am NOT an expert, but there are experts on here that know much more. Good luck.

Dr.Go!

1970 Johnson 33hp- missing pieces?! Help! 5 years 8 months ago #136990

Gotcha! That makes sense now. I'll move it to the correct forum, and thanks!!

1970 Johnson 33hp- missing pieces?! Help! 5 years 6 months ago #137692

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Mark, that's not a magnet. it is a pin that attaches the shift rod from the engine to a yoke that slides the rev/for gear back and forth. Easy fix, but you have to take the lower unit apart, hold the yoke in place and just screw the pin back in place. Don't ask how I know. :laugh:

1970 Johnson 33hp- missing pieces?! Help! 5 years 6 months ago #137700

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Thanks 63 Sabre. I knew someone would know. I learned something on this one.

Dr.Go!

1970 Johnson 33hp- missing pieces?! Help! 5 years 6 months ago #137704

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Here she be.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)